Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think I failed today...

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
Today was the worst day I've had in probably years. It was just a bad day all around. But I think the worst part is feeling like I failed. DD had a really rough day today, she was refusing to work, slamming things around, throwing things. I sent her to her room at one point, and then DH got involved trying to help. He told her she can't just go to her room every day, she has to do her work. As he left her room he said something like "mom wants to help you but you have to ask" at which point she rolled her eyes and with that tween girl attitude said "yeah right." So then DH raised his voice..and threatened her with ps.

DH and I talked about it, and he thinks she shouldn't go to her room, we should have a specific alone spot for her when she acts like this where she can do her work alone. And I started thinking she was probably anxious about our first co op class today. Which isn't an excuse for treating me horribly, but at least there was a reason. So once she settled down and came back, I told her maybe she was feeling anxious and she should ask to talk about it, not freak out and have tantrums. Which caused her to freak out and have another tantrum. And so the day went. Finally at lunch time, I talked out the whole co op thing basically with myself so she could hear the fears and know that it was ok to be scared or nervous, but that it's better to talk about it and try to come up with a solution to a problem. She ended up LOVING the co op class! But there was a point she was not going to go because she had to read the rules and it sounded like a "prison" (you know bc ps didn't have any rules..right?). I felt crappy because even though I knew that was bugging her (I thought of it around 10:30) I still didn't completely take it easy on her. I still just had no patience for her.

Then I had to drop them off immediately with DH and go to work, so I felt like I didn't even get to really spend good time with them today. On top of that, I got an email from my boss that I failed the test they made me take on my training-even though I can do the job, apparently I had to get a 92% on the test and I didn't. THEN I got an email from the mortgage lady we've been working with letting me know that she can't pre approve us :(. So we are stuck with my MIL with no light at the end of the tunnel.

It was just one of those days where I kind of wish I never got out of bed this morning :(. But tomorrow will be better...right?!
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

*big hugs* Just remember, this day is over and tomorrow will be better. 8)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you are going through all of this.   It's really hard to live with the inlaws to begin with, then you add the stress of having very different opinions on things.   Makes things feel really impossible.

My suggestion with your daughter would be to take the fight out of it.   Establish simple rules.   Like, "There will be NO friends, extra curricular activities, TV or video games until X gets done each day."   

Teach her what you can, help with what you can, but as soon as her attitude comes out... send her to her quiet spot and ignore her unless she comes out with a real apology and change of heart.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Right!  Tomorrow WILL be better. 
We all have those days where we are less than stellar with our kids.  Just put today behind you and try for more patience tomorrow.

Hugs! 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it will!

There's something in the air, too.  Is there a full moon coming around soon?

oredeb
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

awwwww one day at a time tomorrow is a new day and new beginings!

lovelylady83
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I won't blow smoke up your ^ss... tomorrow maybe worse... so may the week and even the year... but at some point it WILL get better! PROMISE until then virtual hugs!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Start a new tomorrow it will be better.  We do a very light work load on Co-op days.  My kids are younger and they do not get naps on co-op days so we do very little.  Just a few games. 

gratefulgal
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Just wanted to say "hang in there" and that yes, tomorrow is another day. Also, yesterday was like that for us, too. UGGhhh. We've been having a bad string of 'em lately.

oredeb
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

and i dont think you failed today, just learned something, everyday is a learning experience, some work and some dont

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

It's tonight I think!!!  We have had a total battle of the wills with my oldest.  She is calmind down as she is understanding that things won't change....that is another store for another post.  LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Yes it will!

There's something in the air, too.  Is there a full moon coming around soon?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)