Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If I can't be in charged then no one can (or why can't homeschool moms pass the baton)

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 23 Replies

This is inspired by my own "101 places" post. There seems to be a trend in the homeschool community in my area. Groups, co-ops etc are often shut down instead of passed on to someone else when the leader(s) can no longer be in charge.

The first incident was a large very active homeschool group we joined about 11 yrs ago. When the founder decided to put her daughter in public school she shut it down. The group had a board of directors that were in charge of the operations so it would have been very easy to step aside and let the group continue. However since she was known as the founder she didn't want her name associated with the group. Someone in the group tried to start a new group but I have no idea what happened. She charged a small amount of dues and sent out buttons and ID cards but never planned a single event.

Several years later we were active in a group that focused on Sports and "extra curriculars" (homeschool prom, science fair, geography Bee etc). The founders of that group moved away and passed the group on to the board. The board however decided to grow the group into a co-op (that basically was modeling a 2 day a week private school/homeschool hybrid). When they realized it was too much to handle they shut down the group instead of scaling it back down to what had worked for years.

Then there was the "101 Places" club. The goal was to complete the book in 2-4 years by doing fieldtrip every week or every 2 weeks. We met 2x and had 1 fieldtrip before the leader shut the group down because her health was failing (she has a chronic condition that flares up sometimes IBS I believe).

The last thing was a co-op that we loved. It lasted all of 6 months and bacially fell apart because one leader put her kids in private school and the other didn't want to deal with telling one mother that no one wanted to deal with her daughter. They actually took it over right before classes started from 2 moms that had the decency to step down and ask for someone to replace them when life got in the way.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I have seen that mentality but I have also seen groups get handed off to others & grow in to amazing groups.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I have learned throughout the years that homeschooling families are just like everyone else. They are just as prone to be super parents or parents that make super mistakes. Just like any other family on the planet.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

I have learned throughout the years that homeschooling families are just like everyone else. They are just as prone to be super parents or parents that make super mistakes. Just like any other family on the planet.

I don't think I've ever ran across this problem outside of the homeschool community. Then again, most other events/activities etc are a part of much larger organizations so it wouldn't be easy for the local volunteers to just shut it down. Maybe it is just inherent of the fact that such homeschool groups are "grassroots" instead of part of a larger organization. However having tried to get a science co-op going in the past, I know that people tend to not want to step up and do their part and they tend to scrutinize everything. 

Regardless of the reason of why it happens, I still find it extremely annoying especially when I spend $$ on equipement or get the kids all excited about an upcoming event only to have it all fall apart. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Oh I get annoyed too. Who wouldn't after spending hard earned money on equipment that may or may not get used in the future?
What I'm finding though is that most people tend to hold homeschooling families to a much higher standard than they would hold themselves to just because we are homeschooling. That annoys me just as much as the other.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting kirbymom:I have learned throughout the years that homeschooling families are just like everyone else. They are just as prone to be super parents or parents that make super mistakes. Just like any other family on the planet.

I don't think I've ever ran across this problem outside of the homeschool community. Then again, most other events/activities etc are a part of much larger organizations so it wouldn't be easy for the local volunteers to just shut it down. Maybe it is just inherent of the fact that such homeschool groups are "grassroots" instead of part of a larger organization. However having tried to get a science co-op going in the past, I know that people tend to not want to step up and do their part and they tend to scrutinize everything. 

Regardless of the reason of why it happens, I still find it extremely annoying especially when I spend $$ on equipement or get the kids all excited about an upcoming event only to have it all fall apart. 

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I find that the "outside world" tends to hold us to a higher standard but its rare that I run across someone that homeschools that tends to do that. IRL I can only think of one person and she basically said it was OK if her kid was behind because he had issues, but anyone with normal children needed to make certain their kids were far ahead of the public schools.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh I get annoyed too. Who wouldn't after spending hard earned money on equipment that may or may not get used in the future?
What I'm finding though is that most people tend to hold homeschooling families to a much higher standard than they would hold themselves to just because we are homeschooling. That annoys me just as much as the other.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting kirbymom:I have learned throughout the years that homeschooling families are just like everyone else. They are just as prone to be super parents or parents that make super mistakes. Just like any other family on the planet.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I have never had a group close yet , but I have also never belonged to a group that was founded by a single mom.  Our family is a member of a co-op in the next county over that is built around an art center.  There has been a council since it's inception 3 years ago.  It only gets bigger and there isn't really any one person that we all look to for guidance.  Also one of the high school moms has asked me to step into her place in 2014 after her son graduates.

Our other co-op is centered around a church.  I would guess there are 3 of us who founded it.  It is 2.5 years old (as long as I've been homeschooling.)  It has grown from 6 families to 14, so it is really small.  I wonder about it falling apart later, but I'm hopeful that more people homeschool in the community and take it over.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

None of the groups I mentioned were founded by single moms. One of the moms that first stepped down form the co-op was going through a divorce, but she was one of the 2 that asked for help and stepped down before the classes started..

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have never had a group close yet , but I have also never belonged to a group that was founded by a single mom.  Our family is a member of a co-op in the next county over that is built around an art center.  There has been a council since it's inception 3 years ago.  It only gets bigger and there isn't really any one person that we all look to for guidance.  Also one of the high school moms has asked me to step into her place in 2014 after her son graduates.

Our other co-op is centered around a church.  I would guess there are 3 of us who founded it.  It is 2.5 years old (as long as I've been homeschooling.)  It has grown from 6 families to 14, so it is really small.  I wonder about it falling apart later, but I'm hopeful that more people homeschool in the community and take it over.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Then that really seems crazy to me.  How can one mom have so much influence that she can shut it down?

But homeschooling in a public way is very new in our area.  There are a few who homeschooled for years, but they had no groups and just kept it quiet.  It has really been booming here, pretty much doubling every year since 2009.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

None of the groups I mentioned were founded by single moms. One of the moms that first stepped down form the co-op was going through a divorce, but she was one of the 2 that asked for help and stepped down before the classes started..

Quoting bluerooffarm:

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Because they are the ones running things. They are the ones who sign the rental contracts, open the bank accounts, pay for the websites etc. Instead of handing things over they shut them down.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Then that really seems crazy to me.  How can one mom have so much influence that she can shut it down?

But homeschooling in a public way is very new in our area.  There are a few who homeschooled for years, but they had no groups and just kept it quiet.  It has really been booming here, pretty much doubling every year since 2009.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Ahhh I see.  So if our treasurer decides to leave, she could shut us down.  Good to know.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Because they are the ones running things. They are the ones who sign the rental contracts, open the bank accounts, pay for the websites etc. Instead of handing things over they shut them down.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN