Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you add stuff or am I alone?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you let your kids learn more?

Options:

Heck Yeah more the better

Depends

No

My kid has never asked to do more

I don't follow any sort of plan that follows the public school

Purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

Its my first year homeschooling my son is in grade 3 and we are in Canada, I am following the PLO (Provincal Learning outcome) so that he will at least learn everything else that they learn in Grade 3 in school...thing is he wants to learn MORE....he wants to learn about the underground Railroad...so we are going to learn about that, and connect it to his geography and mapping skills and into Canada history. Same with WW2 again, geography, Canada history, and mapping. I have teacher friends that say I am dumb to do that...that I should only stick with what other grade 3s are learning...

WHY??? If he wants to learn more and I can connect it why shouldnt he learn more???

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rcmama122
by New Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Why would more knowledge be a bad thing? He is asking to learn more! What a great thing!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

If my kids ask about it, we learn about it.  We have looked up dinosaurs, presidents, words, sea animals, things from history.  Speaking of history I still need to look up some facts I did not know about 9/11.  Everything they ask and want to know about is discussed and looked up.  I do not see how that is bad.  They actually learn more that way and remember things than when we are just studying them.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Great job mama! If he wants to learn more then let him learn more. Go with your instincts. :)
lucsch
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I voted that I don't attempt to follow a public school plan, though I am somewhat influenced by it, being the product of one, myself. I do tend to add to and tweak our boxed curriculum. It is more my doing, not child led. Given a choice, she would never do math, skip most nonfiction, play by ear only on the piano, cook, play games on the computer, watch netflix ( teen shows not documentaries), write fictional series on the computer,  make videos, and do art, mostly painting and some drawing. There would be some learning, but a lot of holes, too.

TidewaterClan
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We learn more all the time!  You're doing a wonderful job making learning fun for him.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don't fallow any plane that fallows public school but I do encourage my children to delve deep & learn all that they wish to learn!

.Bad.Wolf.
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I don't homeschool, but I do that too lol. If they hear about something, they'll ask & I'll tell them. Most recently, they heard about the Holocaust.

I don't think you're dumb for doing it. How could learning more possibly hurt?

paigea
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Not part of this group just butting in here.

As a teacher, I am surprised a teacher would say that.

Kids learn all sorts of things from family whether they go to school or are homeschooled.  All the hobbys, tasks, etc.  families are involved in outside of school time are opportunities to learn.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

The whole point of homeschooling is to do it better than ps. Why in the world would we go through all we go through to homeschool just to recreate the public school experience? It sounds like your teacher friends are insecure and afraid you'll show them up. Follow your child's lead, mom! You're doing a great job!

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting paigea:

Not part of this group just butting in here.

As a teacher, I am surprised a teacher would say that.

Kids learn all sorts of things from family whether they go to school or are homeschooled.  All the hobbys, tasks, etc.  families are involved in outside of school time are opportunities to learn.

I have 4 teacher friends and they are all against homeschooling... They claim they are worried about him but really I just think they are mad that I pulled him from public school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN