Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you add stuff or am I alone?

Poll

Question: Do you let your kids learn more?

Options:

Heck Yeah more the better

Depends

No

My kid has never asked to do more

I don't follow any sort of plan that follows the public school

Purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

Its my first year homeschooling my son is in grade 3 and we are in Canada, I am following the PLO (Provincal Learning outcome) so that he will at least learn everything else that they learn in Grade 3 in school...thing is he wants to learn MORE....he wants to learn about the underground Railroad...so we are going to learn about that, and connect it to his geography and mapping skills and into Canada history. Same with WW2 again, geography, Canada history, and mapping. I have teacher friends that say I am dumb to do that...that I should only stick with what other grade 3s are learning...

WHY??? If he wants to learn more and I can connect it why shouldnt he learn more???

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
paigea
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Home schooling wasn't for me.  My kids had more fun learning with a group.  

But, I know kids can get a good education from homeschooling.

What province are you in.  I'm in Alberta?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I really, really, really wanted to vote for the unicorns!!!!

Okay, I don't follow the public school.  I'm not even sure what they want the kids to know for science and history in those age groups.  We are following a curriculum that hits a lot more historical infomation than I ever learned in elem.  We skipped right over nearly everything I am covering with him this year.  Also my boys like the indepth stuff and the stuff where we tie together history and science or history and language arts, so we do that when we can.

tnt-manda
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Yep, this is where we usually do chapbooks in the afternoon about whatever interest them
oredeb
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

the kids are always going off on rabbit trails!

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Quoting paigea:

Home schooling wasn't for me.  My kids had more fun learning with a group.  

But, I know kids can get a good education from homeschooling.

What province are you in.  I'm in Alberta?

BC!

candiedgala
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I said it depends. I wrote my own curriculum and I feel like it is quite heavy. I look at the topics that public school kids are covering and then I try to cover that to the full extent that my child can learn that topic at their personal level of ability. If I felt like my child had met those expectations in all areas and she wanted to study a related topic in more detail I would encourage it as long as we could do it in a serious, thorough way. Other than that, if she just wanted to pick up a fun book at the library and read it on her own time, that would be fine with me, but I wouldn't want to water down my "school" time with a lot of light weight study and loose ends.

JulieBrown
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I put heck yeah, but I would also put that I don't follow any sort of plan that follows the public school. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I voted heck yeah first, then I saw I don't follow the ps plan. So both of those, lol. If you can tie it in and he WANTS to learn it, there is absolutely no reason not to. I figure the ps plan is a good place to START, but it is not the be all end all or whatever they say.
Knightquester
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The key phrase to what you said was you have teacher friends, and I'm guessing these are friends that are teaching in the system.  Let's face it, you're making yourself work harder in their eyes and they can't alter or add more.

In your case your own child gets the benefit and nobody in the world can belittle you for that and still sound mentally sane.  Enjoy adding more, enhance his learning in ways he won't be able to get in the system and when your teacher friends shake their heads smile and say, "I do it because I can."  Deep down I'm sure that if they have children, they are wishing they could too (even if they would more than likely never admit it).

amanda.lyn
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Don't listen to them! Great job Momma!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN