Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you add stuff or am I alone?

Poll

Question: Do you let your kids learn more?

Options:

Heck Yeah more the better

Depends

No

My kid has never asked to do more

I don't follow any sort of plan that follows the public school

Purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

Its my first year homeschooling my son is in grade 3 and we are in Canada, I am following the PLO (Provincal Learning outcome) so that he will at least learn everything else that they learn in Grade 3 in school...thing is he wants to learn MORE....he wants to learn about the underground Railroad...so we are going to learn about that, and connect it to his geography and mapping skills and into Canada history. Same with WW2 again, geography, Canada history, and mapping. I have teacher friends that say I am dumb to do that...that I should only stick with what other grade 3s are learning...

WHY??? If he wants to learn more and I can connect it why shouldnt he learn more???

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (21-23):
Jlee4249
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM

as long as he wants to learn more, take advantage of it, just be sure to make his "rabbit trails" fun and interesting, don't make it into work.  And don't test him on it.  
The testing will come when it shows up in his "official" studies later on.  For now, let him enjoy learning new things.  Have fun.  Read to him.  Find documentaries and whatnot online, youtube, etc... watch a few, surf photos, whatever.  Enjoy your little sponge ;) 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I'm a big fan of encouraging their interests.  Way to go momma!

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Are you kidding?  If we followed the PS curriculum my children would be SO bored.  We have learned so much about states...with our huge project that we are working on.  In my state they don't even begin to cover this stuff until 4th grade.  I was trying to come up with something fun for my girls while we were between school years and they are having a blast with it.  I have had to look up stuff on the Amish culture, what soybeans look like (btw they come in a variety of colors), what cotton looks like when its ready to be picked....I'm learning a ton.  They are reading and then something catches their attention and off we go down the rabbit hole.  Did you know that in Minnesota they play softball on ice in the Winter?  I sure didn't, but that was a fun fact the my oldest is retaining about that state.

Learning more is always better than just barely getting by.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)