Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you make your own Halloween costumes?

Posted by   + Show Post

We piece things together from store bought, thrift store finds, and whatever mommy can sew.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (11-15):
SarahNElijah
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Last year we made our own.. I sewed a Diego (the animal rescuer) costume for my 3yo, and my son and I built a car from cardboard boxes and his bike. :-b It was fun!

This year I think we are going the easy route.. My daughter (4) wants to be a zebra, so I am using her zebra striped footie jammies and a zebra hat, and my son (7) wants to be Karate Kid, with his Gi from Jiu Jitsu, so all I have to do is braid his hair. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

no we dont make our costumes if we need one we look at the goodwill or piece one together from stuff we have.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Depends on what DD wants to be. This yr we are piecing together and using cosplay tutorials to make the accessories for a Raven costume (the character from teen titans)

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

Are we discussing HALLOWEEN among HOMESCHOOLERS?! Isn't that the SCOURGE of the homeschooling world?! LOL just kidding... though around here it does seem you are in the minority if you celebrate Halloween (or anything other than a 'harvest festival' etc - which is about as pagan as you can get, IMO).

We do a mix of store bought and homemade. Some years I've gone all out but really, forty hours of sewing is just not fun for mama, no matter how cute we all look. 

This year my husband wants to dress up as Gru, and it'd make sense for me to be a minion, but I don't like the sexual stereotyping of that. My husband is not a sexist at all but still... it'd be fine for our KIDS you know, but not me. I don't work for him. 

Two years ago DH and I were Frankenstein + Bride. That was fun.

Some years we do a family theme. Toy Story was fun (I was Bo Peep - hoop skirt was the only thing I bought), another year we were Incredibles, that was cute. Scooby Doo year was the kids' favorite - I was Velma. That was a mostly thrift-store purchased year. We did buy a Scooby Doo costume but that was all.

That cracks me up because Halloween is no more or less pagan than Christmas. Halloween means all hallows eve. It's the eve of the Christian holy day All Saints day. Just like Christmas, the date was picked by the early church to give a Christian holy day to replace the traditional pagan holy day. Even trick or treating has roots in Christian traditions. The the eve of all Saints day  was the only day it was acceptable in many part of the UK to go begging door to door.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I did in years past...but lately I just buy. It saved so much time and that's most important to me these days. And we love Halloween, even if none of our home school friend Join us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)