Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spelling/english

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

Todays world is so full of technology... everyone pretty much uses it basically everywhere... Most of my sons work I have him do online.. He is 8 and I am torn as to whether I should have him use a dictionary for finding definitions, or use an online dictionary...What do you do/think? He hates using the dictionary and complains of the words being too small to read..

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I make mine use an actual dictionary, he is 7.  He has an elementary dictionary and a student dictionary.  The words are bigger in both.  He likes doing it.  Yeah, technology is great, but I still think kids should have other skills as well.

LilrockerMama
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kmath:

I make mine use an actual dictionary, he is 7.  He has an elementary dictionary and a student dictionary.  The words are bigger in both.  He likes doing it.  Yeah, technology is great, but I still think kids should have other skills as well.

That is pretty much how I've been thinking, but I just wanted to see what most do and think.

Thank you!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I have mine use a dictionary. The "kid" versions often don't have the words he's looking for, they are really incomplete for some reason, and we have issues with the small print, too. I have one that was part of an old Encyclopedia Britanica set that we use a lot. Bigger print, easier to use, but still not as complete as I'd like.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I make mine use the dictionary on the bookshelf.  I feel that it is important to know how to use both the books and the technology.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I down loaded the Merriam-Webster app to my kindle and dd looks them up that way. 

The print is easier to read. I don't see a problem with it. My kids know how to use a regular dictionary. 

It saves time as well. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Yes, he needs to be knowledgable about things NOT tech related - he needs to write, spell properly, and know how to look things up in an actual dictionary.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

My kids don't like using my complete dictionary, but we do it together.  I also teach my kids how to look up definitions online, which I love, because they can also hear the pronunciation, which is so very important to my kids who are constantly mispronouncing words.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM

We kind of do both. I have the dictionary downloaded on the Kindle, so we look it up that way, and then we "go on a scavanger hunt" in the big dictionary. When we found the word on the Kindle dictionary, we look up words around it, and then go hunting the in big one to make finding the one word a little easier

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I would do both.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We don't do spelling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)