Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Todays world is so full of technology... everyone pretty much uses it basically everywhere... Most of my sons work I have him do online.. He is 8 and I am torn as to whether I should have him use a dictionary for finding definitions, or use an online dictionary...What do you do/think? He hates using the dictionary and complains of the words being too small to read..

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-13):
LilrockerMama
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Well when he has reading assignments, I pick out words or have him pick out words that he doesn't understand the meaning. He writes down what he thinks it means judging by what the sentence or paragraph is about and then afterwards we look it up, see if he's right and then write the definition. Sometimes I have him make his own sentence using the words. So it's not exactly spelling.

Quoting paganbaby:

We don't do spelling. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM
There could come a day technology is obsolete. Do you know about the solar flare that happened in the late 1800s? If we had the technology we have now, it would have knocked out all of it. We can't predict a solar flare or prevent them. Never mind the other scenarios that could happen...

And even if none if those doomsday scenarios pan out, using a real dictionary is not a bad skill to have. I make sure my kids know how to do things the old fashioned way and the tech savvy way, both ways are good skills.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM
My kids use dictionaries and a thesaurus. I am a stickler for my kids learning to use them frontwards and backwards. We have several different types so they can get a feel for all the different versions with the different schools of thought associated with each version.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)