Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The need for a IPAD?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

My mom who is so against my homeschooling asked me today if a IPAD would help my son do his work...I am too worried that it will just end up a fight...already have to fight him for so much. Does any one use a IPAD for the schooling??

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Ds, 10 years old, has one and we have several math games that he uses for school.  He watches Netflix movies for school on it.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Dd is almost 4 and she has learned so much from apps like blends for reading, solar system she knows the order of planets, sight words, read along books etc I am so glad we have it her access is limited and there are very few true games all games have an educational purpose
wowguildmomma
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

We have Ipod and a kindle that we use for school. We use the app for Spelling city, and many others for school and have some of our textbooks that i could get in digital format on their as well making schooling away from home a bit easier and lighter on the backpacks.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I use my kindle for homeschooling a lot.

Games

Videos

documentaries

Researching 

Project planing

Looking up language arts facts

Looking up definitions

Reading

And for the rare moment when I need to find something

They are portable and kids LOVE them.

Also they teach kids how to use technology, which is important these days. 

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
We have a Kindle. I'm thinking of getting a laptop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Molimomma
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My son has an iPad mini and I like that I can load it with only the educational aps but my son is little so he can't download his own stuff or buy aps. It might be more challenging with an older child. They are very useful though and a great tool if you can keep control of it.

WizardOfAhs
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I have recently decided to go with the Nook HD+. Said it was for the kids, but I think it was for me mostly, lol. We are heading into the 'big city' next week to get it, can't wait. I am so excited, I have already browsed tons of apps and made lists of the most wanted. Since my kids are 10, 12, & 14...my challenge is to find educational, fun, but not TOO fun apps. I do not subscribe to the 'Cakemania is educational' theory ;) 

I think with all things, moderation is the key. Just like I won't allow them too much time in front of the TV, or computer, this will be monitered as well. I think it will be great for those Dr. appointments, big grocery trips, or days when mommy is yard-saling! The only real issue I see atm is having one tablet, 3kids =/

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My kids have iPods and I have an iPad. I have lots of math games and logic games on the iPad. And we can use it for Netflix. We also use it for the Internet sometimes.

If my mom offered to buy one, I'd take her up on it, lol. Just make it clear with DS that its only used for fun AFTER school work is done. My kids usually use it last, but sometimes in the middle and they know to put it down after their "assignment" and they can use it for fun after all the school work is done. If they wouldn't get off, then I wouldn't let them do assignments on it, they would get worksheets instead. I always remember I am the parent and I set the rules and boundaries.
StepDucky
by Sarah on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I have an iPad and my son uses it sometimes for educational games... It's really nice to have

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM
We have 2 iPads, one for DH & an older one dr Ds & I. DS is only 2....I use it when I need him to be quiet for a few minutes (like at a doctors appointment). We use abcmouse & he loves it - it's like a reward for him & he knows he gets to do it in the evening if he's good & we have time (2, maybe 3 times a week)

I taught a special needs class & we had 4 iPads in a class of 12 to share. I used it for writing - the kids were waaaaay happier to type on an iPad than to write a paragraph/story/etc on paper, I had math games for when they finished their math work, science & history apps for when they finished those subjects, etc. I also used it to build background knowledge (YouTube videos, etc), help with reading comprehension (made graphic organizers out of a drawing app) & had kids practice cursive on it. So there's a lot of options for how to use it educationally.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)