Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I plan on giving my daughter a REAL high school experience.

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 57 Replies
16 moms liked this

I was having a conversation with one of the moms at school while I was waiting to pick up 6yo dd. I was telling her that I had recently pulled 13yo dd out of school and was homeschooling her. What followed was one of the funniest conversations I've had in a while,lol.

Lady: Are you homeschooling her through high school?

Me: More than likely, yeah.

Lady: But she'll miss out on so much! She won't have the high school experiance!

Me: Oh don't worry about that. I have it all planned out. I'm going to shove her in the hallway, knock her books out of her hands, steal her lunch money and call her names. *All of this was said in a very serious voice*

Lady *Jaw drop*

Me: *Laughing* I'm just messin with you. She'll be fine. And quite honestly there are plenty of high school experiances I don't want her having.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

One of the things that does give me pause is prom. I missed my prom, so did my sister and mom. That's one thing I really did want her to experiance :-(

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Our local Homeschool group has a formal dance for teens, so they will still get the experience.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Have you looked into co-ops? A lot of co-ops have their own prom. I plan on HSing through HS too :)
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

That's really neat!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Our local Homeschool group has a formal dance for teens, so they will still get the experience.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

The only one that's close enough just caters to elementary :-/

Good luck to us both,LOL

Quoting armygirl16:

Have you looked into co-ops? A lot of co-ops have their own prom. I plan on HSing through HS too :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Maybe you could start a small high school homeschool group, or teen group.  Then you could coordinate a prom.  I planned the father/daughter ball at our elementary school all 4 years DD was there, so I this is right up my ally ;)  but it could be so fun!  And I bet all the teens around would appreciate it!

Prom was one thing that made me stop and question it too.  I missed mine, and don't care so much now.  DH went to one and he says it's not even worth the money and effort.  I still hope my kids can do a dance or something though.  The thing about hsers is that it doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars for them to have a good time!

I LOVE your remarks to the lady, I'm storing that in the back of my mind.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

LMAO, that is awesome!  I love that and will have to remember it.  I don't know what I am doing about Highschool yet, so I am not going to worry about it right now.  I went to Prom, left way early and went and hung out with friends.  It wasn't worth it to me.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I love your comebacks!! You make me smile and make me happy! Thanks for standing up for the rest of us!!!!

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Nice. I hated high school - I wish k12 or other online schools were an option back then!
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I here the missing prom excuse all the time! You know All you have to do is know someone that goes to the locale high school & have them invite her to go! There is a homeschool prom every year here & it gets bigger & bigger each year they hold it.

By the way i know so many people that did go to their prom & it was one of the worst nights of their lives so not everyone sees that night as a fond memory.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)