Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I plan on giving my daughter a REAL high school experience.

Posted by   + Show Post

I was having a conversation with one of the moms at school while I was waiting to pick up 6yo dd. I was telling her that I had recently pulled 13yo dd out of school and was homeschooling her. What followed was one of the funniest conversations I've had in a while,lol.

Lady: Are you homeschooling her through high school?

Me: More than likely, yeah.

Lady: But she'll miss out on so much! She won't have the high school experiance!

Me: Oh don't worry about that. I have it all planned out. I'm going to shove her in the hallway, knock her books out of her hands, steal her lunch money and call her names. *All of this was said in a very serious voice*

Lady *Jaw drop*

Me: *Laughing* I'm just messin with you. She'll be fine. And quite honestly there are plenty of high school experiances I don't want her having.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I so know what you mean.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Nice. I hated high school - I wish k12 or other online schools were an option back then!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I'm hoping she won't either,lol.

Quoting oredeb:

my kids missed the prom also, but they didnt care!hahahha

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Lucky!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

While I agree that there are many high school experiences I'm glad my eldest will miss, I'll be one to say that I actually enjoyed high school; my husband even more enjoyed it. I'm grateful that our local co-ops are large enough that there are several opportunities for things like yearbooks/yearbook clubs, sports, proms, etc.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, that's true.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I think it's likely prom is only fun if you have a group of friends you hang out with. I didn't enjoy mine. My mother wanted me to really bad and that's the only reason why I did go.

My girl refused to go to the homeschool prom but my son went and hated it.

Quoting paganbaby:

One of the things that does give me pause is prom. I missed my prom, so did my sister and mom. That's one thing I really did want her to experiance :-(

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

You sound like my youngest!

Quoting Jenn8604:

My sister went to prom with a friend.
I hate dresses so I didn't care that i never went.

Quoting paganbaby:

One of the things that does give me pause is prom. I missed my prom, so did my sister and mom. That's one thing I really did want her to experiance :-(

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Do you know any other big kids homeschooling in your area? I wonder if you could start a yahoo group, maybe post something on craigslist...contact your state coalition to put something in their newsletter (if they have one)asking for other big kids in the area...I would definitely talk to the people in charge of the elem. group and let them know you are interested in doing something for bigger kids, then they could put the word out to their group members too. Then you could go from there. If you can get a few families, then you can just start a small group and I bet it will grow over time. Then you could plan a prom and a little graduation ceremony when it's time. Those are the two things I wanted at least the option for my kids to have.
Quoting paganbaby:

The only one I found was for elementary school-agers.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is there anything offered for hs'ers in your area?  Classes?  Get togethers?

Quoting paganbaby:

I'd love to! But I have no idea how in the world I would get started :-(

And yeah, dh went to his and he said it wasn't worth it either. It would be nice for her to have a dance of some sort though.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Maybe you could start a small high school homeschool group, or teen group.  Then you could coordinate a prom.  I planned the father/daughter ball at our elementary school all 4 years DD was there, so I this is right up my ally ;)  but it could be so fun!  And I bet all the teens around would appreciate it!

Prom was one thing that made me stop and question it too.  I missed mine, and don't care so much now.  DH went to one and he says it's not even worth the money and effort.  I still hope my kids can do a dance or something though.  The thing about hsers is that it doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars for them to have a good time!

I LOVE your remarks to the lady, I'm storing that in the back of my mind.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Why didn't you have a good time?

Quoting Precious333:

That was one thing i actually i wouldnt hace mind missing out on. I actually went to.prom with my now husband, but in all honesty, it was a terrible night. It was fun getting dressed up though. I guess it all depends in your personaly prom experience.

Quoting paganbaby:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Those are some great ideas!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Do you know any other big kids homeschooling in your area? I wonder if you could start a yahoo group, maybe post something on craigslist...contact your state coalition to put something in their newsletter (if they have one)asking for other big kids in the area...I would definitely talk to the people in charge of the elem. group and let them know you are interested in doing something for bigger kids, then they could put the word out to their group members too. Then you could go from there. If you can get a few families, then you can just start a small group and I bet it will grow over time. Then you could plan a prom and a little graduation ceremony when it's time. Those are the two things I wanted at least the option for my kids to have.
Quoting paganbaby:

The only one I found was for elementary school-agers.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is there anything offered for hs'ers in your area?  Classes?  Get togethers?

Quoting paganbaby:

I'd love to! But I have no idea how in the world I would get started :-(

And yeah, dh went to his and he said it wasn't worth it either. It would be nice for her to have a dance of some sort though.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Maybe you could start a small high school homeschool group, or teen group.  Then you could coordinate a prom.  I planned the father/daughter ball at our elementary school all 4 years DD was there, so I this is right up my ally ;)  but it could be so fun!  And I bet all the teens around would appreciate it!

Prom was one thing that made me stop and question it too.  I missed mine, and don't care so much now.  DH went to one and he says it's not even worth the money and effort.  I still hope my kids can do a dance or something though.  The thing about hsers is that it doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars for them to have a good time!

I LOVE your remarks to the lady, I'm storing that in the back of my mind.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

He needs 45 college credits by the age of 8?? Where do you live?

Quoting BrettsMommy927:

When my DS Turns 8 i have to file the leter of intent and have atleast 45 college credits in order to be able to still homeschool him. :-( Unfortunately, if i do not move, he will get a highschool experience...

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

It was hilarious! LOL

Quoting justahousewife:

lol way too funny. I'd give anything to see that conversation in person. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)