Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I plan on giving my daughter a REAL high school experience.

Posted by   + Show Post

I was having a conversation with one of the moms at school while I was waiting to pick up 6yo dd. I was telling her that I had recently pulled 13yo dd out of school and was homeschooling her. What followed was one of the funniest conversations I've had in a while,lol.

Lady: Are you homeschooling her through high school?

Me: More than likely, yeah.

Lady: But she'll miss out on so much! She won't have the high school experiance!

Me: Oh don't worry about that. I have it all planned out. I'm going to shove her in the hallway, knock her books out of her hands, steal her lunch money and call her names. *All of this was said in a very serious voice*

Lady *Jaw drop*

Me: *Laughing* I'm just messin with you. She'll be fine. And quite honestly there are plenty of high school experiances I don't want her having.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  Every once in a while I surprise even myself with my good ideas ;)

Quoting paganbaby:

Those are some great ideas!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Do you know any other big kids homeschooling in your area? I wonder if you could start a yahoo group, maybe post something on craigslist...contact your state coalition to put something in their newsletter (if they have one)asking for other big kids in the area...I would definitely talk to the people in charge of the elem. group and let them know you are interested in doing something for bigger kids, then they could put the word out to their group members too. Then you could go from there. If you can get a few families, then you can just start a small group and I bet it will grow over time. Then you could plan a prom and a little graduation ceremony when it's time. Those are the two things I wanted at least the option for my kids to have.
Quoting paganbaby:

The only one I found was for elementary school-agers.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is there anything offered for hs'ers in your area?  Classes?  Get togethers?

Quoting paganbaby:

I'd love to! But I have no idea how in the world I would get started :-(

And yeah, dh went to his and he said it wasn't worth it either. It would be nice for her to have a dance of some sort though.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Maybe you could start a small high school homeschool group, or teen group.  Then you could coordinate a prom.  I planned the father/daughter ball at our elementary school all 4 years DD was there, so I this is right up my ally ;)  but it could be so fun!  And I bet all the teens around would appreciate it!

Prom was one thing that made me stop and question it too.  I missed mine, and don't care so much now.  DH went to one and he says it's not even worth the money and effort.  I still hope my kids can do a dance or something though.  The thing about hsers is that it doesn't have to cost hundreds of dollars for them to have a good time!

I LOVE your remarks to the lady, I'm storing that in the back of my mind.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I think MOM needs 45 college credits to teach once he's 8, lol. At least that's how I understood it. I am still curious where she lives too. We don't need any education here, but a certified teacher does need to review a portfolio OR the kids have to take a standardized test at the end of the year.
Quoting paganbaby:

He needs 45 college credits by the age of 8?? Where do you live?

Quoting BrettsMommy927:

When my DS Turns 8 i have to file the leter of intent and have atleast 45 college credits in order to be able to still homeschool him. :-( Unfortunately, if i do not move, he will get a highschool experience...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Not really, lol. Most of our friends had very positive high school experiences. I loved it - but I was a BAD teenager, so I loved it for all the wrong reasons, lol.

My husband, on the other hand, excelled both socially and academically - him and his friends had a great high school experience all around (small-ish Catholic high school).

Quoting paganbaby:

Lucky!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

While I agree that there are many high school experiences I'm glad my eldest will miss, I'll be one to say that I actually enjoyed high school; my husband even more enjoyed it. I'm grateful that our local co-ops are large enough that there are several opportunities for things like yearbooks/yearbook clubs, sports, proms, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

That made me laugh, thanks LOL

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not really, lol. Most of our friends had very positive high school experiences. I loved it - but I was a BAD teenager, so I loved it for all the wrong reasons, lol.

My husband, on the other hand, excelled both socially and academically - him and his friends had a great high school experience all around (small-ish Catholic high school).

Quoting paganbaby:

Lucky!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

While I agree that there are many high school experiences I'm glad my eldest will miss, I'll be one to say that I actually enjoyed high school; my husband even more enjoyed it. I'm grateful that our local co-ops are large enough that there are several opportunities for things like yearbooks/yearbook clubs, sports, proms, etc.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Oh, that would make way more sense,lol. I've never heard of that though. Hopefully she'll get back to us soon.

We're lucky, here in California all I need to do is submit a homeschooling affidavit. What do you choose? Test or teacher?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I think MOM needs 45 college credits to teach once he's 8, lol. At least that's how I understood it. I am still curious where she lives too. We don't need any education here, but a certified teacher does need to review a portfolio OR the kids have to take a standardized test at the end of the year.
Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting BrettsMommy927:

When my DS Turns 8 i have to file the leter of intent and have atleast 45 college credits in order to be able to still homeschool him. :-( Unfortunately, if i do not move, he will get a highschool experience...

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM

It's our first year, but we immediately chose teacher.  I emailed a teacher before we even made the final decision to see if she would be available (the teacher can't be a current PS teacher...the teacher we are using is a hsing mom and certified music teacher, lol, area of certification doesn't matter).  A big reason we took them out is bc of standardized tests, so it seemed only natural for us to avoid that route!

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh, that would make way more sense,lol. I've never heard of that though. Hopefully she'll get back to us soon.

We're lucky, here in California all I need to do is submit a homeschooling affidavit. What do you choose? Test or teacher?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting BrettsMommy927:

Anna92464
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I missed my prom on purpose...my mom didn't go to school so she was disappointed in me, but was idealizing my opportunities and wanted to live vicariously through me and I was so different I turned out to be a huge disappointment to her....When my daughter wanted to go to a prom, I arranged for it to happen for her.  Honestly, she hated it because she thought it would be so much more than it was...Another daughter wanted to go and had a good time, but it wasn't all that everyone said it would be but she went without any expectations either....She also used to wear the dress around the house for fun and even to the grocery store...She is a happier person than my oldest although my oldest is wonderful and happy, too.  My son may or may not want to go to a prom, but I do try to give them everything they want within reason, and if I cannot afford it, tell them that it is up to them to create those experiences for themselves as adults....I think that is a better lesson for them than making sure they get some ideal that is in my head, if that makes sense.

Quoting paganbaby:

One of the things that does give me pause is prom. I missed my prom, so did my sister and mom. That's one thing I really did want her to experiance :-(

BrettsMommy927
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM
I need the credits by the time he's 8
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM

That sucks :-( What state are you in?

Quoting BrettsMommy927:

I need the credits by the time he's 8

Jenn8604
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I'm not as bad as I was. At 11 I told everyone I was getting married in white jeans with lace on the pockets and a white shirt with small ruffles to appease everyone by being dressy.
I have learned to tolerate dresses and have even been a bridesmaid 2x in a dress and not pants w lace. lol

Quoting paganbaby:

You sound like my youngest!

Quoting Jenn8604:

My sister went to prom with a friend.

I hate dresses so I didn't care that i never went.

Quoting paganbaby:

One of the things that does give me pause is prom. I missed my prom, so did my sister and mom. That's one thing I really did want her to experiance :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)