Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: our thrilling day

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 5 yr old daughter hit her head today.   She couldn't tell me how she fell, but she has never been reliable at telling me what happened.   She's the one that's possibly ADHD and ODD.   She falls ALL the time.   It's normal, it's standard, and she has always screamed bloody murder when she falls.

This time, I didn't take enough notice, I guess, though, because about an hour later we were on our way to a creation seminar for the older two kids when she started crying about her headache.   Once at the library for the seminar, she just drooped and didn't look like herself... then promptly threw up all over herself.  While cleaning her up, she got sick again and again.

Didn't have any more clothes for her because we'd just cleaned out the van and all extra clothes had gotten brought in.   Had to wrap her in a blanket and hand-wash her clothes in the sink... then had to clean the sink and the bathroom stall she had messed up.   

Then race home, get new clothes for her and run her to the local urgent care.   

My poor kid.   She has a concussion and her normal moderate car sickness was a thousand times worsened by it.   

I felt so bad.

Edited:   There went the rest of the day, too... when we got home, we sat down and colored a little bit in our science journal and discussed what we had been learning.    One kid did math today, one kid did spelling, typing, and guitar.... then we did science.   Otherwise, we had a great field trip to see the inside of an urgent care....

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids never admit they hurt themselves either! Took me 2 days to find out my son hit himself with a Lego in the eye which cause a red spot on his eye.

Poor thing, I hope she is feeling better!

oredeb
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM

awwwwww poor thing, wow she must have had quite a fall to get a concussion, hope shes doing better.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I hate days like that! I am always grateful for homeschooling & being a SAHM on them though.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Oh man, poor baby!  DS is the same way, always screaming bloody murder when he does anything so I can't always tell when he is really hurt.  She must have fallen really hard. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM

When my drama queen tells me she's hurt/sick, I almost NEVER take her seriously.  She's the one who told me her brother ALMOST hit her and she could have DIED.  And there have been a couple times when, maybe not urgent care was called for, but definitely a trip to the doc.  Just keep on keepin' on.  

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I love your siggy! One day my kids will probably say the same thing about me!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

My kids never admit they hurt themselves either! Took me 2 days to find out my son hit himself with a Lego in the eye which cause a red spot on his eye.

Poor thing, I hope she is feeling better!

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

My son(3.5) fell down the stairs(!) why he was up "playing" with his daddy. I was downstairs in another room and heard but did not see him fall(AWFUL). Even though DH was supposedly playing with him I STILL got to him first(don't even get me started). I still don't know how he didn't break a limb, his neck or get a concussion. He had a bruise and even a split in his scalp but thankfully was OK. Thank God my mom was visiting at the time and is a nurse because I was shaking so bad it was terrible. 

It's shame she didn't have any symptoms until you left the house. Sounds like a perfect storm of nothing working in your favor. I hope her concussion resolves quickly my BIL has been dealing with a hockey induced concussion for months now :( 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Awww...poor thing!  I hope she gets better fast!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Thanks ladies, she seems a lot better.   Doc said if she had no problems all day that she could sleep through the night without worrying about waking her.  

We were supposed to go to the farm tomorrow, but I'm getting ready to tuck her in bed and have some cuddle time because she came up to me as I was typing this update and she started crying about a headache again.

We will see.   They will be all disappointed if we don't go.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Oh no! Hope she feels better soon! I have had times when I brushed them off and shouldn't have. The time DS broke his elbow? Didn't take him to the dr for two days, I figured he just sprained it. DH finally was like, ok let's take him now. They still aren't positive it was broken, they couldn't tell (we can go to the moon but can't tell if its a fracture or shadow on the X-ray?)...so I try to tell myself it's not so bad I didn't take him right away since the drs couldn't even tell if it was broken or not.

Anyway, I'm sure she will feel fine and ready to hurt herself again soon enough! You should all get some rest and don't worry about the schoolwork, they still learned a lot today!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN