Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OK, I need some brain storming or suggestions so come on it here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I want to make Cole (8, 3rd grade) and Missie (12, 7th grade) something like a morning warm up binder or folder. It's more for Cole, really. I want something to help get them going and also cover a few random things (like math facts, sight words, etc) that will help transition the morning PLUS keep a daily list of what they need to get done so they can see what's going on. So think of this as a student planner with extras. We do a small morning board but that's more for my younger son who is four.

What would you suggest as far as set up? Or what to put in it? I'm open to any suggestions. It's a rainy day and I'm just doing a little homeschool planning and brainstorming. 8)

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Replies (11-13):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I did a sunrise system for mine and made a flip chart of index cards of things to accomplish.

For us, it was about getting our practices in for the things we were involved in.   (Choir, Christmas Play, Instrument, junior bible quiz)...   Plus giving them a little bit of time doing online flashcards, typing, and a spelling activity.

I put the index cards on a ring and stuck some blue sticky tack to the wall where they hang it next to their younger sister's visual chart.   She moves an arrow down until she's ready for school.

What do you want to include?

Handwriting?  Math facts timed test?  Practice instrument?  Bible verse?  Calendar including events and things to do upcoming week?   Challenge questions? (logic and critical thinking?)  PE (stretching/jumping jax?)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM

If you do the planner, you could do things like...

Tuesdays and Thursdays timed math quz...

Fridays write and mail a letter (grandma, pen pals, etc..)

etc... etc...

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

You could set it up like an adult planner of sorts, put in a daily, weekly and monthly calendar, marked out with important dates/events/holidays (if you celebrate), and make those topics for discussion.  Make your lessons themed for the week or the month.   Throw in fun facts about what ever your themes are.  Like stuff about Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving.  Do a mixed treasure hunt.  Tell the kids that in order to get the treasure they have to solve the problems/read the quote in order to get to the next clue!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I saw some one created a giant "boggle" wall.   They used ziploc baggies and taped them together with duct tape (think pretty designs!) so you could see through the baggie and still slip things in and out of the baggies, but they would be durable.   They made a variety of letters to slip into each baggie (remember, think BOGGLE)...   they changed the letters daily, and left a whiteboard for the kids to join together writing the boggle word list that day whenever they had time.

If you think it would get old everyday, then you could hang it up on say Mondays...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN