Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How has homeschooling changed your relationships?

Posted by   + Show Post

Wow!! Good read! How have your relationships changed? I'm just starting and live in another state than some of my good friends which makes life easier for me.  But, I do have a few mom's with kids my DD's age who are sending their kids to school and it's different!

http://simplehomeschool.net/an-open-letter/

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Replies (11-15):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I'm not a "friend" type person, I guess. I've not had a close friend since high school. The few friends I do have are all from my home school group, and all of my family see homeschooling as normal, so homeschooling has not really changed any of my relationships.
kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Nope, I thought it would with my mom and my sister, but they have both come around and totally support me.  All of my friends think it is awesome that I get to homeschool my son and they give me whatever help and support they can.  Even my ex (DS's dad) is totally supportive of it.  So it hasn't changed anything for me really.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM

In some ways the blog holds true, and in other ways no.  I am still friends with people I was friends with before I started my family and during the years I started it.  I include my children if I want that coffee break, and I incorporate those people I hold near and dear into our lives, just as they do me.

I'm lucky to have good friends that understand that I can't always chat with them like I would love to, just as I understand they have other priorities and a family to raise.  I know those same friends would be there for me if I ever needed them, and they know I would be there for them if they ever needed me.  To me friendship isn't about quantity of time you spend together, rather the quality of time you do spend together and the respect you hold for each other.

tyely
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM

My relationships haven't changed much.  I have got funny looks from friends when they discovered we decided to home school.  I am, however, having issues with my mom...not bad issues, but she has started telling me my oldest is miserable and wants to go back to his school and his friends.  I spoke with my oldest son and he is happy.  He told me he doesn't mind either one and is currently happy.  So, I have no clue what my mother's problem is.  She is the type of person that feels a certain way and tries to get the other person say things that prove her feelings right...instead of listening to the other person.

I was extremely lucky to have friends who began home schooling the same time I did.  We have been going through these changes together and it has helped a lot.  Also, I have a lot of family that home schooled before me so the support from them has helped as well.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

We have moved a lot and don't have a ton of family either.   So our relationships haven't changed much outside of our home.

However, we have deeper relationship with the kids and as parents.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)