Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sending a pre-k homeschool "care package"....

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 26 Replies

Stay with me. I'm medicated and ridiculously sick (urgent care visit earlier, lol).

My mother will be homeschooling my nephew for pre-k this year, as their attempt at public pre-k didn't go well. I'm putting together a package for her with curricula and other resources (she's disabled).

Thus far, I know I'm sending Singapore Essentials mathematics, Bob Books, Phonics Pathways, and Leapfrog DVDs.

What are some of your favorite handwriting and other resources (fun stuff too!) for this age? I know what works for my son, but I also need to keep in mind that they prefer secular, and my shelf is filled with largely Catholic materials for my own children.

(ETA: no offense intended, but I'm not really interested in being told that they should do interest led or nothing formal at this age - they've decided to take a more traditional route, as I have, so I'm looking for actual resources and materials - thanks in advance!)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I'm not great with early curriculum since I print my own but how about letter tiles and math manipulative?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM
How about the BOB books? Or some classroom posters?
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM
What about laminated letter tracing sheets for writing. Play doh for making letter and number shapes. Preschool calendar for days/weeks. Something to learn about the weather.

These are just off the top of my head. When I get home I can look at what else I use with my preschooler.
AmyMamie
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM

We did preK at home, and some of the items my son and I LOVED:

- Big Skills for Little Hands books (Alphabet, Color and Shapes, I Can Draw, I Can Paste, etc.)

- Magnatabs

- Kumon Maze books

- Djeco art kits (a little pricey, but so much fun!)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

How about a picture, story pad.  The paper with the space for drawing and the lines below for writing about it.

Letter games like Pairs in Pears.  That's how we work on letter names and letter sounds.

Dot-to-Dots, Hidden pictures, Mazes, and coloring books.

We have a book called I Can Cut that has some fun cutting projects.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I love Handwriting Without Tears and RightStart Math.  I have lots of reading games from Lakeshore Learning. Preschool prep DVDs, Little Pim foreign language, Magic School Bus DVDs and science kits.  My DD is 4 next week, she does all of the above and LOVES them!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

We print stuff off starfall and I have the kids practice writing their names for writing at that age.  I also bought a Big Alphabet book from Walmart, but that was years ago.  We also do letter of the week.  We have been having fun with that.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I honestly hate BOB books.  Their word placement isn't so consistent, their pictures are dreary, and the text to picture correspondance is iffy.  I do, however, love Brand New Readers (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=brand%20new%20readers&sprefix=brand%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abrand%20new%20readers)

I also like audible.com for audio books, though they're somewhat pricey and my 1st grader would prefer the pictures to be there, too.  Between the Lions is a fantastic set of DVDs.  Also Scholastic has a set of DVDs with their stories, too, that we've been doing with the kids forever.  I know you said secular, but you could sneak in some Veggie Tales maybe.

My 4yo has a handwriting pad by Crayola that has pictures on the bottom that he loves to color.  That's his writing time.

Math--cheerio math?  We have a book that you place the cheerios in special spots to help with one to one correspondance, but I don't know where it is, so I can't check the title.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

No Veggie Tales. My sister and her fiance are, I believe, raising my nephew Muslim. I don't really want to sneak :)

I don't care for Bob Books either, but they're sitting on my shelf getting no use, lol!

I'm sending Singapore for math, as they prefer a bit more solid curricula, but cheerio math may be fun as a supplement - I'll have to try to google it.

I'll also check out Brand New Readers - never heard of that one!

Quoting hwblyf:

I honestly hate BOB books.  Their word placement isn't so consistent, their pictures are dreary, and the text to picture correspondance is iffy.  I do, however, love Brand New Readers (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=brand%20new%20readers&sprefix=brand%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abrand%20new%20readers)

I also like audible.com for audio books, though they're somewhat pricey and my 1st grader would prefer the pictures to be there, too.  Between the Lions is a fantastic set of DVDs.  Also Scholastic has a set of DVDs with their stories, too, that we've been doing with the kids forever.  I know you said secular, but you could sneak in some Veggie Tales maybe.

My 4yo has a handwriting pad by Crayola that has pictures on the bottom that he loves to color.  That's his writing time.

Math--cheerio math?  We have a book that you place the cheerios in special spots to help with one to one correspondance, but I don't know where it is, so I can't check the title.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM

They are doing a letter of the week gig, but he already knows most of his letters, so they'll be moving into more progressive phonics soon. I think they are already on Starfall? I'll have to check - I referred them there years ago (my son loved backpack bear a year or so ago!).

Quoting debramommyof4:

We print stuff off starfall and I have the kids practice writing their names for writing at that age.  I also bought a Big Alphabet book from Walmart, but that was years ago.  We also do letter of the week.  We have been having fun with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)