Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sending a pre-k homeschool "care package"....

Posted by   + Show Post

Stay with me. I'm medicated and ridiculously sick (urgent care visit earlier, lol).

My mother will be homeschooling my nephew for pre-k this year, as their attempt at public pre-k didn't go well. I'm putting together a package for her with curricula and other resources (she's disabled).

Thus far, I know I'm sending Singapore Essentials mathematics, Bob Books, Phonics Pathways, and Leapfrog DVDs.

What are some of your favorite handwriting and other resources (fun stuff too!) for this age? I know what works for my son, but I also need to keep in mind that they prefer secular, and my shelf is filled with largely Catholic materials for my own children.

(ETA: no offense intended, but I'm not really interested in being told that they should do interest led or nothing formal at this age - they've decided to take a more traditional route, as I have, so I'm looking for actual resources and materials - thanks in advance!)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Replies (21-26):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Handwriting?   Draw write now or Handwriting without Tears.    However, I honestly wouldn't start this until next year unless he's just a good writer for his age.    Until that time, just getting a sheet offline with the alphabet on it, dry erase markers, and stick it in a clear pocket.   Practice that way.

Another fun way to build and increase handwriting (fine motor control) is to invest in some tracing paper and have him trace pretty much anything he wants.   From simple photos to coloring pages to a favorite character on a box...   etc.   A little painters tape (blue masking tape) will secure it to any surface and remove easily.

Also, things that require squeezing the fingers (playdoh, scissors, kneading bread, etc..) helps build up their finger strength.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Unfortunately they have to start him, ready or not. They pulled him from the public pre-k associated with the same kindergarten district he'll be attending next year, and they assume the children learned to write, read, and do simple arithmetic in freakin' pre-k. *sigh*

That was part of the reason they pulled him - the teachers were downright mean about it; they overheard one of the teachers telling a little girl, who had doodled on her handwriting paper, that she would have to skip breakfast the next morning to do TWO handwriting sheets... without drawings.

But, they also do not want him to be behind when he starts kindergarten, and I understand that. My mom would like fun, but rigorous materials; things he will enjoy but will also ensure he isn't behind.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Handwriting?   Draw write now or Handwriting without Tears.    However, I honestly wouldn't start this until next year unless he's just a good writer for his age.    Until that time, just getting a sheet offline with the alphabet on it, dry erase markers, and stick it in a clear pocket.   Practice that way.

Another fun way to build and increase handwriting (fine motor control) is to invest in some tracing paper and have him trace pretty much anything he wants.   From simple photos to coloring pages to a favorite character on a box...   etc.   A little painters tape (blue masking tape) will secure it to any surface and remove easily.

Also, things that require squeezing the fingers (playdoh, scissors, kneading bread, etc..) helps build up their finger strength.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Most Pre-K stuff can be found free online.  I think I bought a few workbooks and then created my own curriculum based off of free worksheets, and materials I found online.  I also bought a few sets of beginning to read books, I know a favorite was the Clifford Phonics Fun series.

You could get an Enchanted Learning http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html account for under $10 a year and they have a lot of worksheets.  There are sites with free learning to read books (if your nephew doesn't know how to yet), math and handwriting pages you can print up, as well as many other such materials.  Sadly I don't have those sites easily at hand to link anymore since it's been a very long time since I've had a little one, but I know they're easy to find if you search.

Starfall http://www.starfall.com/ came out when my kids were older, but I've heard a lot of good things about the site (still, I have no personal experience with it).  There's also Reader Rabbit, Jumpstart and Time4Learning as other computer alternative sites.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

She wants a bit more structured of a program. I don't really have the time to go through the online resources and print them all up for her. She wants scripted, planned, "do the next thing" kind of things.

Quoting Knightquester:

Most Pre-K stuff can be found free online.  I think I bought a few workbooks and then created my own curriculum based off of free worksheets, and materials I found online.  I also bought a few sets of beginning to read books, I know a favorite was the Clifford Phonics Fun series.

You could get an Enchanted Learning http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html account for under $10 a year and they have a lot of worksheets.  There are sites with free learning to read books (if your nephew doesn't know how to yet), math and handwriting pages you can print up, as well as many other such materials.  Sadly I don't have those sites easily at hand to link anymore since it's been a very long time since I've had a little one, but I know they're easy to find if you search.

Starfall http://www.starfall.com/ came out when my kids were older, but I've heard a lot of good things about the site (still, I have no personal experience with it).  There's also Reader Rabbit, Jumpstart and Time4Learning as other computer alternative sites.

xoch86
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Bump... Sorry, I'm stealing some of these! Lol

sweetserenit292
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I really like http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/ .  The only down side is that you have to print everything It has a lot of hands on activities. Both my boys really enjoyed it.  She has a letter of the week and  an extendend version as well for those who already know their lettters. Even though she is a Christian she does have choices for secular activites too.  Like for the letter J....if you don't won't Jesus mentioned,  she has jellybean activities. You definitely get a lot for a little $$.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)