Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 11 Replies

8by Ericka Sóuter July 15 at 4:07 PM

booksI recently came across the story of a Tesca Fitzgerald, who, at 12, is getting ready to start college and plans to be working her Ph.D. by age 16. Her proud mother credited her daughter's genius to the fact that she was homeschooled. Amazing, right? But I have to tell you, that is as impressive as it is crazy. It made me wonder if I could homeschool my teen or pre-teen. With the cost of private school in New York City, the idea is an attractive one. But I quickly came to my senses and here's why. Check out the 7 reasons I'd never home school my teen.

1. .I could probably get him through algebra and geometry, but we'd both need a tutor when it came to calculus. Sure, I took it in high school but it was in one ear and out the other as soon as the final was finished. My daughter doesn't rely on me as her sole source of knowledge. That's just silly. If she's learning calculus, of course she'll have a tutor.
  1. I can't imagine his first intense classroom setting being a college lecture. Talk about intimidating. College was way less intimidating than high school ever was.
  1. We'd get sick of each other by week four two. This is just sad. I don't need a 6 hours break every day from my child. I've been raising her since she was born and I haven't gotten sick of her yet.

2. When he complains about his bitchy teacher, he'll be talking about me. I don't plan on being a bitchy teacher.

3. When I complain about my crappy job, I'll be talking about him. If you're that miserable then maybe you shouldn't be homeschooling?

4. I can't teach him the same survival instincts you learn navigating your way though mean girls, jocks, geeks, or whichever else cliques exist these days. For some reason I've yet to use those skills as a adult.  Maybe because assault and harrassment isn't a part of my day to day life.

5. I'm not a trained educator. Parents love to complain about their kids' teachers but it's a tough job. Probably one of the toughest. It's a combo of instructor, counselor, soother, conflict resolution expert, and motivator. How exhausting is that?! Ummm...that sounds like just like being a mother,lol.

I tip my hat to all those moms and dads who successfully homeschool their children. It's clearly not something every parent can do. Not with that attitude it isn't.

Add your responses too!

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I love your responses!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Thank you,lol.

Quoting usmom3:

I love your responses!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

oredeb
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahahhahaha good responses!!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Love your responses!
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM

This was my responses to her post.  I love your responses though.

1. I can give my children one on one instruction and when I do not know something I can find a person or persons that can teach my child for a small fee.

2. If my child knows the material and has not been distracted by 30 other teens I am pretty sure they will fly through a college lecture no problem.

3. If my child complains about the teacher being in a bad mood, she probably caused it, and deserve to feel my wrath.

4. I give my children an hour and a half of recharge time so we are away from each other and when they are teens I am sure they will be able to find time to themselves.

5. Who could hate a job where you see your family all day everyday and learn with them constantly. Are there bad days sure but my kids getting an education that works for them is worth it.

6.They will deal with enough mean people even as children without having to be bullied everyday or being taught that to be popular they have to bully others.

7. I can teach my children as well if not better than any teacher in a classroom, because my hands are not tied by the school system. I do not have 30+ students who I can not force to sit down and pay attention. So my kids will get a better education.

I have no problem with parents, teachers or public schools.  They can and does work for some families and kids.

I however am offended when someone writes and posts on the internet stupidity.  Do research before you post something.  Know what you are talking about.  It makes you look stupid and it can not be erased.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM

clapping

Quoting debramommyof4:

This was my responses to her post.  I love your responses though.

1. I can give my children one on one instruction and when I do not know something I can find a person or persons that can teach my child for a small fee.

2. If my child knows the material and has not been distracted by 30 other teens I am pretty sure they will fly through a college lecture no problem.

3. If my child complains about the teacher being in a bad mood, she probably caused it, and deserve to feel my wrath.

4. I give my children an hour and a half of recharge time so we are away from each other and when they are teens I am sure they will be able to find time to themselves.

5. Who could hate a job where you see your family all day everyday and learn with them constantly. Are there bad days sure but my kids getting an education that works for them is worth it.

6.They will deal with enough mean people even as children without having to be bullied everyday or being taught that to be popular they have to bully others.

7. I can teach my children as well if not better than any teacher in a classroom, because my hands are not tied by the school system. I do not have 30+ students who I can not force to sit down and pay attention. So my kids will get a better education.

I have no problem with parents, teachers or public schools.  They can and does work for some families and kids.

I however am offended when someone writes and posts on the internet stupidity.  Do research before you post something.  Know what you are talking about.  It makes you look stupid and it can not be erased.

lucsch
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM

You answered exactly as I would.

How can we educate anti-homeschoolers so they see the truth? Of course, maybe they want to stay delusional.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You know I think that's the case. I've tried and tried but even my own mother doesn't or won't understand.

Quoting lucsch:

You answered exactly as I would.

How can we educate anti-homeschoolers so they see the truth? Of course, maybe they want to stay delusional.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM

ITA with you. That was posted on mom confessions weeks ago(I think might have been moms with teens or something like that)and my response was very close to yours.

all2gethernow
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN