Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long do you lesson plan each week?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM
  • 48 Replies

Poll

Question: How long does it take you to lesson plan?

Options:

I just wing it

0 - 1 hours

1 - 2 hours

2 - 3 hours

3+ hours

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

I was just wondering how long it takes you to make your lessons each week. I have just one child doing hs right now, and he is in Kinder. I usually plan on Saturdays, and am finding it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. How about you ~ when do you plan, and how long do you spend doing it?
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM

We have a boxed curriculum that we use so I usually just sit down and look over it to see if we have any surprises coming up.  Right now, at this point in our journey, I need that schedule just laid out there for me.  But I am noticing changes in my thinking lately, like maybe soon (in a couple years, LOL) that I might take that leap and try to come up with my own.  Time will tell.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That's funny because right now I'm doing it on my own and wondering if perhaps going with a boxed curriculum wouldn't be better.

Right now I'm planning (I'm laughing as I write this because I need it tomorrow) our weather unit, so it's intensive, but after it's all together, it'll just flow.

I have 5 kids--pre-k, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and unless I'm planning a major unit like this, it only takes another couple hours a week, maybe another hour somewhere throughout the week.

Quoting jwhit8791:

We have a boxed curriculum that we use so I usually just sit down and look over it to see if we have any surprises coming up.  Right now, at this point in our journey, I need that schedule just laid out there for me.  But I am noticing changes in my thinking lately, like maybe soon (in a couple years, LOL) that I might take that leap and try to come up with my own.  Time will tell.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM

The reason that I do like the boxed is that it addresses on of my biggest fears about homeschooling.....missing something.  If they should happen to do this program(we follow Sonlight) and they get through high school and miss something huge, it wouldn't be "my" fault.  kwim|?

I do like the curiculum we use but listening to all the fun stuff that everyone on here does has me wondering if they are having as much fun with this as they could.

Quoting hwblyf:

That's funny because right now I'm doing it on my own and wondering if perhaps going with a boxed curriculum wouldn't be better.

Right now I'm planning (I'm laughing as I write this because I need it tomorrow) our weather unit, so it's intensive, but after it's all together, it'll just flow.

I have 5 kids--pre-k, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and unless I'm planning a major unit like this, it only takes another couple hours a week, maybe another hour somewhere throughout the week.

Quoting jwhit8791:

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I just plan for the day, the morning of. I call in morning prep. Takes me 10 minutes. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I spend maybe around 2 hrs a week.  I'm still new to this though so I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing, lol.  I plan over the weekend (or intend to), but it has happened where I am planning on Monday while they do some work I managed to get together before Monday. 

But over the summer, I planned Science up to Christmas, and History I have spent hours on, and it should get us through next week and partially the rest of the year-but I have to add details for the rest of the year (I have the reading and documentaries planned out by chapter in our spine, but I have to pick the activities and stuff to go with that).  Our spelling is a curriculum that is basically outlined.  Math and writing and grammar I do weekly.  So that's why I think I don't have to spend much time each week.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Depends.  I am constantly coming up with new ideas for us to try.  I do the most planning for my co-op classes that I teach.  I would say my prep time is anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours.  I am doing a creative Math class at co-op and it has taken me hours and hours to get it ready.  It is going to be a lot of fun.  

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I typically set up or download a lesson plan for each individual subject in HST at the beginning of the year which will take anywhere from a few minutes to download or a couple of hrs to set up for each subject. From there I set up a quarter at a time and only need to tweak it on occasion. This yr I am jsut now getting to the point where I can start setting up each subject so I've worked on each lesson plan a little to get DD going and will be starting this week on getting each one set up for the year.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I voted that I just wing it.  We just move on to the next pages in the books.  There's nothing to plan.  I do plan his weekly field trips, homeschool group classes, and afternoon activities, but not his book work.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I plan on the weekend. I have bins for each week day and I make photocopies and gather manipulatives etc and place in the bin I jot down loose plans in a planner. I spend about 5 min each day deciding if we will do what I planned or if I wiill switch stuff around.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Way less than an hour for two kids. But my system is just really really simple. Write down on a piece of paper what chapter they're in, and I'm done. They are old enough to look at  the material and go "Oh, so this says I've got to do vocab today" or whatever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)