Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long do you lesson plan each week?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How long does it take you to lesson plan?

Options:

I just wing it

0 - 1 hours

1 - 2 hours

2 - 3 hours

3+ hours

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

I was just wondering how long it takes you to make your lessons each week. I have just one child doing hs right now, and he is in Kinder. I usually plan on Saturdays, and am finding it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. How about you ~ when do you plan, and how long do you spend doing it?
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We follow interests, but I also "make" them study other things.  My 1st grader is just finishing up building a robot with my husband.  No, I didn't go through all the mechanics of it and make sure he has a higher level of understanding, right now I just want him to be able to do it and enjoy it.  Following directions, understanding, reading, etc. all a part of the process.  So yeah, I can count that for math/science/reading.  And it's authentic work.  He needs to be able to read and follow directions in order to accomplish this robot that he really wants to make.  I'm not separating the skill from the project, if that makes sense.  I also have some Lego language arts things that I've come across and printed off, but for those it's using the Legos to accomplish the lesson as opposed to the building being the end result and having to use those other skills to achieve it.  So I haven't really done those other Lego activities.  And learning about dinosaurs (Evolving Planet is my favorite) also teaches how our planet has changed.  I also have a dinosaur alphabet book that my kids love.  And really, if they can spell those dino names, kudos to them!

But you're right, they're not going to be interested in everything, they might not even know they're interested in something if you never introduce it.  So above the objections of some of my boys, we are studying fables/tall tales/legends/fairy tales.  We also write every day and practice math.

So the very long of this is that you can tie their interests in, and if you can think of it or wonder about it, I'm sure pinterest has it!  :)

Quoting jwhit8791:

See, if I followed the boys interests.....we would only learn about legos, dinosaurs, and trains.  While those things are good, we might need to throw some math, geography, spelling, etc.  LOL

I guess that is the joy of being 4 and 6 though.  It is mostly about playing, which is why for right now, the boxed stuff works for us.  If I could get our schedule down a little better, I might be able to add some time in there for their interests too.  It is definitely hard to figure out what is right!

Quoting hwblyf:

I completely know what you mean.  One of my absolute largest struggles is to figure out what bits and pieces of information I NEED to pass along.  I look at the schools and what they teach, and I realize that someone somewhere along the way did that for the school system, but that may not be what I think is important.  But it's all just bits and pieces of information.  So skills are highly important, bits and pieces of knowledge are accumulated throughout lifetimes.  But I love the freedom of following the kids' interests or mine, what's going on around us, etc.  And yet, following a path would give me boxes to check off.  Security.  It's definitely a tug of war.

Quoting jwhit8791:

The reason that I do like the boxed is that it addresses on of my biggest fears about homeschooling.....missing something.  If they should happen to do this program(we follow Sonlight) and they get through high school and miss something huge, it wouldn't be "my" fault.  kwim|?

I do like the curiculum we use but listening to all the fun stuff that everyone on here does has me wondering if they are having as much fun with this as they could.

Quoting hwblyf:

That's funny because right now I'm doing it on my own and wondering if perhaps going with a boxed curriculum wouldn't be better.

Right now I'm planning (I'm laughing as I write this because I need it tomorrow) our weather unit, so it's intensive, but after it's all together, it'll just flow.

I have 5 kids--pre-k, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and unless I'm planning a major unit like this, it only takes another couple hours a week, maybe another hour somewhere throughout the week.

Quoting jwhit8791:

We have a boxed curriculum that we use so I usually just sit down and look over it to see if we have any surprises coming up.  Right now, at this point in our journey, I need that schedule just laid out there for me.  But I am noticing changes in my thinking lately, like maybe soon (in a couple years, LOL) that I might take that leap and try to come up with my own.  Time will tell.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

um, I don't.

I want to.. but I don't.   That's why I rely on curriculum so much, we just sit down and crack open the book.   If the lesson is too easy, we hit on it, do a little practice work... and either move onto the next lesson or play related games for a bit.   Then we move onto the next subject and do the same.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It takes me about 2-3 hours each week, much of that is for my 4 and 6 year olds because they have such different learning styles that I had to throw out a lot and try again.  I probably only plan 30 minutes for my 8yo.  I have his learning style down, I know that what I am planning will work for him.  I know that he will know exactly what I want him to know at the end of each lesson.  The other 2 catch me off guard way too often.  So I have to plan slowly and deliberately for them and I can only plan for a couple days at a time.  By Wednesday I need to assess what they have actually "gotten" and either scrap it a try new stuff or go ahead and try more.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I use textbooks and workbooks. Each kid does different stuff. It takes just about 2 hours to knock out everything for all three.
ilostmy_keys
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I typically take 5m before and after a lesson to look over material and make sure I have everything we will need. Thru the week I find different ideas or think of them, and jot them down. Not difficult.
wowguildmomma
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

DH and I were discussing the other day a way to allow me to have small amounts of quiet time for me to lesson plan rather than the helter skelter way I have been. Most of the time I try to get all school related stuff done while he is working to maximize his time to hang out with the kids. However, we have come to realize it would be best and less stress on me if we set up a small desk I can retreat to for a few hours once a week in our room so that I can get everything done and not be freaking out on lesson days about how i forgot to print x page or to type up the study guide for DS1's science lesson and send to his computer. lol

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I usually work on it on Saturday or Sunday nights.  It takes anywhere from 30 min to a couple of hours, depending on what is going on the next week.  History usually takes the longest to plan for.

chlippr77
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I did ALOT of planning this summer, basically just writing out the sequence of all the lessons, so that during the "school year" every two weeks I sit down and plan out the next two weeks.  Then I fill out everyone's planners (I only fill the kids out for a week at a time).  I'm thinking next year I'm going to use a different kind of curriculum, and so I'm thinking planning will be different.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, we use a boxed curriculum.  It takes me about 1-2 hours to prep for the following week depending on how much work they are going to have.  I put everything into a binder for 6 weeks at a time and then plan weekly from there.  The 6 week rotation is how our report cards come...so it makes it easier to keep track of for me.  I plan 6 weeks at a time in my electronic planner too.  This takes me about 2 hours every 6 weeks.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i said wing it, but realstically, I often have time tp google stuff during the day when ds is working, or he even helps me look stuff up that we'll need.

Plus, in the evenings, I google stuff. Most of my planning is internet research, printing stuff out, reserving library books on line, etc. So, reastically it could be several hours a week. But it's very low intensity work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)