Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long do you lesson plan each week?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How long does it take you to lesson plan?

Options:

I just wing it

0 - 1 hours

1 - 2 hours

2 - 3 hours

3+ hours

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

I was just wondering how long it takes you to make your lessons each week. I have just one child doing hs right now, and he is in Kinder. I usually plan on Saturdays, and am finding it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. How about you ~ when do you plan, and how long do you spend doing it?
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Replies (41-48):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

The money is a HUGE part of it.  When I see that one level is something like $600, and I have 5, I start having breathing problems. 

The unit I'm planning is beginning with the seasons but going into weather, seasons are just a way to get my kids thinking about weather and a way to connect with what's going on right now.  As far as all enjoying learning the same thing....imagine being a 1st grader learning the same as your 5th grader brother, but you're both uber competitive about your knowledge.  It can get hard.  So we don't always learn the same thing, and then we take the time to teach what we learn to others.  So we'll do experiments together, we'll talk about temperature and basic data collection, but they'll be learning about whatever weather suits them this time around (in 2nd grade my oldest did a kickin' video explanation of tsunamis when he was in ps, this year I think he's into tornados).

Assignments....a lot of what we do is reading and discussion.  When we do have an assignment, they get a large part in what the assignment is.  If I tell them they have to do some sort of presentation to teach the others what they've learned, they get to tell me how they're going to do that--video, power point presentation, do a speech in front of everyone, etc.  If it's something that we've all been learning--tall tales, or watching Liberty's Kids together--we discuss it.  Having them do a project on that, to me, is overkill and asking them to do work simply to do work.  I can tell that they're working on it in their heads because they ask to read more, they discuss it with me, and most important, they discuss it amongst each other.

Quoting MammaG08:

That's how I feel sometimes too, but I just love having the freedom to plan and get creative with his learning ~ and then see it being put into action and what he gets from it is very satisfying!  The other thing holding me back from a boxed curriculum is the money.   So the unit you are planning; are all your children participating in it, and you are tweaking assignments for each level?  That is a fantastic way to learn ~ I'll bet they all love learning about the same thing at the same time!

Quoting hwblyf:

That's funny because right now I'm doing it on my own and wondering if perhaps going with a boxed curriculum wouldn't be better.

Right now I'm planning (I'm laughing as I write this because I need it tomorrow) our weather unit, so it's intensive, but after it's all together, it'll just flow.

I have 5 kids--pre-k, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and unless I'm planning a major unit like this, it only takes another couple hours a week, maybe another hour somewhere throughout the week.

Quoting jwhit8791:

We have a boxed curriculum that we use so I usually just sit down and look over it to see if we have any surprises coming up.  Right now, at this point in our journey, I need that schedule just laid out there for me.  But I am noticing changes in my thinking lately, like maybe soon (in a couple years, LOL) that I might take that leap and try to come up with my own.  Time will tell.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM
My computer has a mind of its own and the form I use I can type in so it is neat but you can not save what you type.

Quoting MammaG08:

Delete?  AHHHHHHH that would be sooooo frustrating. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

I have 4 kids so it takes my about 2 to 3 hours.  Sometimes longer if my lesson plans delete and I have to start over.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My kids are 6, 7, and 10. Most of the their workboxes are filled with boring regular stuff - workbook, reading assignments, math assignments. I try to include 1 snack box on long work days (Wed-Fri for us), and 1 'fun' box at least once a week - a Dollar Tree craft, or a snack they have to construct, or a video to watch. I'm not terribly overzealous on it.

Quoting MammaG08:

Do you have younger children?  I have heard of the workboxes before ~ sounds like a lot of fun!  Where do you get the ideas for what they will work on?

Quoting hipmomto3:

Yeah you CAN follow interests & spread into other subject areas, but only to a point. There is no Lego calculus in high school.

I spend 1-2 hrs. We do workboxes. So for about 1 hr each weekend, I work on the whole week - what I want each child to accomplish each day. Then each morning, I spend about 10 minutes filling their boxes & gathering materials.

MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I have the same kind of thing.  Is yours from donnayoung.org?  That's the one I use, and it is very nice!

Quoting debramommyof4:

My computer has a mind of its own and the form I use I can type in so it is neat but you can not save what you type.

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting debramommyof4:

I have 4 kids so it takes my about 2 to 3 hours.  Sometimes longer if my lesson plans delete and I have to start over.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Right now, I wing it.   However, we follow a curriculum so we only have to flip to the next lesson and I need the flexibility of winging it because I have a toddler and three others (K, 4th, 6th)...    

It's good for flexibility, but we are having a hard time getting everything worked on.   I'm wondering if I "lesson planned" and we had a schedule to do every day, if we would get it done or if it would just limit the extras.. (like the apple farm yesterday).

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Yes we use her weekly planner.vi love it.

Quoting MammaG08:

I have the same kind of thing.  Is yours from donnayoung.org?  That's the one I use, and it is very nice!

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting debramommyof4:

MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM

That's a good point.  We sometimes have troubles getting everything done that I have planned each day too.   But the nice thing about lesson planning is that it is flexible; I came up with it, so I can change it!  I can move music to the next day if I need to, or shorten a certain activity (or expand upon it), or whatever.  

Quoting KrissyKC:

Right now, I wing it.   However, we follow a curriculum so we only have to flip to the next lesson and I need the flexibility of winging it because I have a toddler and three others (K, 4th, 6th)...    

It's good for flexibility, but we are having a hard time getting everything worked on.   I'm wondering if I "lesson planned" and we had a schedule to do every day, if we would get it done or if it would just limit the extras.. (like the apple farm yesterday).

oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

i do mine on friday night or saturday day, and it only takes about an hour for 6 kids for me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)