Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long do you lesson plan each week?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How long does it take you to lesson plan?

Options:

I just wing it

0 - 1 hours

1 - 2 hours

2 - 3 hours

3+ hours

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

I was just wondering how long it takes you to make your lessons each week. I have just one child doing hs right now, and he is in Kinder. I usually plan on Saturdays, and am finding it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hours. How about you ~ when do you plan, and how long do you spend doing it?
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
JadeTigr7
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't do it weekly, at the beginning of the year I lesson plan the entire year out for all my children.

It takes me about 2 months to get it all done. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely know what you mean.  One of my absolute largest struggles is to figure out what bits and pieces of information I NEED to pass along.  I look at the schools and what they teach, and I realize that someone somewhere along the way did that for the school system, but that may not be what I think is important.  But it's all just bits and pieces of information.  So skills are highly important, bits and pieces of knowledge are accumulated throughout lifetimes.  But I love the freedom of following the kids' interests or mine, what's going on around us, etc.  And yet, following a path would give me boxes to check off.  Security.  It's definitely a tug of war.

Quoting jwhit8791:

The reason that I do like the boxed is that it addresses on of my biggest fears about homeschooling.....missing something.  If they should happen to do this program(we follow Sonlight) and they get through high school and miss something huge, it wouldn't be "my" fault.  kwim|?

I do like the curiculum we use but listening to all the fun stuff that everyone on here does has me wondering if they are having as much fun with this as they could.

Quoting hwblyf:

That's funny because right now I'm doing it on my own and wondering if perhaps going with a boxed curriculum wouldn't be better.

Right now I'm planning (I'm laughing as I write this because I need it tomorrow) our weather unit, so it's intensive, but after it's all together, it'll just flow.

I have 5 kids--pre-k, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and unless I'm planning a major unit like this, it only takes another couple hours a week, maybe another hour somewhere throughout the week.

Quoting jwhit8791:

We have a boxed curriculum that we use so I usually just sit down and look over it to see if we have any surprises coming up.  Right now, at this point in our journey, I need that schedule just laid out there for me.  But I am noticing changes in my thinking lately, like maybe soon (in a couple years, LOL) that I might take that leap and try to come up with my own.  Time will tell.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

See, if I followed the boys interests.....we would only learn about legos, dinosaurs, and trains.  While those things are good, we might need to throw some math, geography, spelling, etc.  LOL

I guess that is the joy of being 4 and 6 though.  It is mostly about playing, which is why for right now, the boxed stuff works for us.  If I could get our schedule down a little better, I might be able to add some time in there for their interests too.  It is definitely hard to figure out what is right!

Quoting hwblyf:

I completely know what you mean.  One of my absolute largest struggles is to figure out what bits and pieces of information I NEED to pass along.  I look at the schools and what they teach, and I realize that someone somewhere along the way did that for the school system, but that may not be what I think is important.  But it's all just bits and pieces of information.  So skills are highly important, bits and pieces of knowledge are accumulated throughout lifetimes.  But I love the freedom of following the kids' interests or mine, what's going on around us, etc.  And yet, following a path would give me boxes to check off.  Security.  It's definitely a tug of war.

Quoting jwhit8791:

The reason that I do like the boxed is that it addresses on of my biggest fears about homeschooling.....missing something.  If they should happen to do this program(we follow Sonlight) and they get through high school and miss something huge, it wouldn't be "my" fault.  kwim|?

I do like the curiculum we use but listening to all the fun stuff that everyone on here does has me wondering if they are having as much fun with this as they could.

Quoting hwblyf:

That's funny because right now I'm doing it on my own and wondering if perhaps going with a boxed curriculum wouldn't be better.

Right now I'm planning (I'm laughing as I write this because I need it tomorrow) our weather unit, so it's intensive, but after it's all together, it'll just flow.

I have 5 kids--pre-k, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th, and unless I'm planning a major unit like this, it only takes another couple hours a week, maybe another hour somewhere throughout the week.

Quoting jwhit8791:

We have a boxed curriculum that we use so I usually just sit down and look over it to see if we have any surprises coming up.  Right now, at this point in our journey, I need that schedule just laid out there for me.  But I am noticing changes in my thinking lately, like maybe soon (in a couple years, LOL) that I might take that leap and try to come up with my own.  Time will tell.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I use memoria press (a boxed curriculum) I use their lesson planner. I have to alter some stuff, but it only takes a few minutes. In her lesson plan she is supposed to be on lesson 4 in math but she is on lesson 36. Same as her phonics book. It's easy to change page numbers though.
SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Some of DD's lessons are part of a planned curriculum, so I don't do much but check and see what lessons we need to do that week to stay on schedule.

I write or tweak or compile some of our subjects on my own. I got a lot of it done before school started in August, so that's a bit more day-to-day intensive, but the pre-planning helped immensely.

I spend most of my time on reading lit, econ, and for the co-op lit class I teach. I also run the teen drama program for co-op and that takes time each week planning our march to performance, as well as finding acting exercises for everyone to do.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I have 4 kids so it takes my about 2 to 3 hours.  Sometimes longer if my lesson plans delete and I have to start over.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM

You can absolutely use their interests to study math, geography, spelling etc.

Quoting jwhit8791:

See, if I followed the boys interests.....we would only learn about legos, dinosaurs, and trains.  While those things are good, we might need to throw some math, geography, spelling, etc.  LOL

I guess that is the joy of being 4 and 6 though.  It is mostly about playing, which is why for right now, the boxed stuff works for us.  If I could get our schedule down a little better, I might be able to add some time in there for their interests too.  It is definitely hard to figure out what is right!

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting jwhit8791:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I just wing it at the moment.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah you CAN follow interests & spread into other subject areas, but only to a point. There is no Lego calculus in high school.

I spend 1-2 hrs. We do workboxes. So for about 1 hr each weekend, I work on the whole week - what I want each child to accomplish each day. Then each morning, I spend about 10 minutes filling their boxes & gathering materials.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

Yeah you CAN follow interests & spread into other subject areas, but only to a point. There is no Lego calculus in high school.

I spend 1-2 hrs. We do workboxes. So for about 1 hr each weekend, I work on the whole week - what I want each child to accomplish each day. Then each morning, I spend about 10 minutes filling their boxes & gathering materials.

Didn't you say they are 4 and 6? Why would you be teaching high school calculus to them now?

ETA: I see you aren't even the person I was quoting. Why would she be teaching/making weekly lesson plans for calculus?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN