Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Taking "breaks" from the kids...

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 18 Replies

Is it really horrible that I haven't spent much time with my kids today? They played outside and now they are playing the Wii.  I've been lesson planning, and reading a book, and doing a puzzle, catching up on CM.  Just taking some down time.  DH is sleeping.

Soon I will make dinner and eat with the kids, then we will probably play a game before they head to bed to read.  Maybe take a walk after dinner if they want to.

Part of me feels bad.  But the other part just doesn't want to do anything today.  And I like to think it's ok to take a break now and then.  It's just been an all day break today.

Do you take breaks?  Is this an extreme break?  Do you judge me? lol

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Er, no judgement here.

I love my children - I also love to take breaks when I can. I don't often get breaks, especially now that I've added a tutoring student into my mix, but I take them when I can.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I take breaks and have no judgement. Actually I tend to judge those that don't take breaks and then play the old."poor overworked" martyr card.

Thos weekend was.one of.my "breaks" ...sort of. My oldest son, my Dad and I went to a Boy Scout Conclave. It is a special once a year event for.Order of the Arrow, scouts in the honor society of BSA.

My two younger kids were farmed out, I didn't have to cook or clean all weekend! They had some laid back classes, kids did games and competitions and an Indian dance pow-wow. My.Dad and I sat and talked and played cribbage. It was sooo relaxing!

Yes, i was there also as a scout.leader, but I wasn't in charge of anything which is highly unusual for me.lol
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Oh, I also have a weekly karate class I go to. They know that Mom is gone Tuesday night for 2-2 1/2 hours. They don't schedule ANYTHING on Mom's karate.time unless.they want mom practicing on them!
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We have days like that all the time! It is called everyone doing their own thing & it is perfectly fine if everyone is happy with what they are doing. Now if you had said they where begging you to spend time with them & you kept blowing them off for "me time" that would be a different story but it sounds to me like everyone is content with doing things separate & there is nothing wrong with that!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

No judgment here! We all need a break from our kids sometimes (and our kids need breaks from us too!). My family is together a LOT of the time - we homeschool, DH works from home, and I'm a SAHM. So yeah. At least one evening a week I have to go to the gym at bedtime (DH gets the kids ready and into bed), and about once or twice a month he goes to the skate park (he needs less 'away' time because he gets to go in his office and work alone, ha!). It recharges me mentally. My kids also enjoy having time at a friend's house, or going to a class without me, sometimes. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I take break times, too, but I don't think I do them strategically.  Your day sounds good and refreshing, I take spots of "just let me stop what I'm doing for a minute or 10," and that's not so refreshing.  It feels bizarre to me when my kids all go outside to play and don't need me for quite some time, though.  :)

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I'm a fairly solitary person by nature. Being a SAHM when my two were young made me very "touched out" for a long time. I'll be the first to admit that as much as I love my children, I enjoyed my alone time when they were in school.

DD has been home for a year and a half and needed a lot of intense one-on-one interaction for most of it. Now that she's much healthier, I'm happy to see her branching out and becoming independent and confident on her own again.

Most of the time, I'd really love for both of them to be home (homeschooling is not a lifestyle for us, but the best solution to a problem), but now that DD is healthy, I'm also looking forward to having my days to myself next fall when she returns to school so I can clear my head to write again. I just have a really hard time getting into my creative brain space when I know that at any moment, I'll hear someone call for me, or I'll need to make sure everyone is on track and doing what they're supposed to be doing.

So far be it from me to judge anyone for taking a couple of hours on a weekend when they know their kids are cared for to kick back and enjoy some time to themselves. I think when people don't take that time, they're setting themselves up for a world of trouble when those kids leave home and they lose their focus.

For a long time, I went to a yearly writer's conference on my own and left the kids and DH to hang out together. I think I felt guilty for about 10 minutes the first time I went. Then I realized that 1) my kids were perfectly safe and probably having a ball without me and 2) I married a grown man who is capable of parenting his own children. If he wasn't, I wouldn't have had children with him. A few days of pizza and fried chicken and a messy kitchen wasn't going to hurt anyone.

Heck, we've even gone on holiday together and left the kids with their grandparents! Horrors, I know. And yet, everyone survived. The kids were hyped up on sugar when we got them back, but again, no permanent damage. Plus, they got to do things with grandma that we don't do at home. They actually learned things!

So no, I think a few hours of chilling out without a child hanging off each limb is okey-dokey. :)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I don't nap... almost never.   We've been so busy and I'm so wiped out emotionally, mentally, and physically...

I napped today.   I've let the kids watch TV for several hours, and that is just NOT like me.   We got home around 1:30 and I put on TV while they ate lunch.    Then I went and laid down.    I just have NO energy.

RheaF
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I don't think there is a Mom out there who doesn't need breaks from her kids once and a while! I don't get them often, but I love when I do.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Nope. don't feel bad. You don't have to be 100% on at all times.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)