Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

daughter with broken dominent arm

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

I was curious if anyone has had a child with a broken dominent arm.. If you homeschooled did you do more oraly or did you expect that they still did some worksheets and learn to write semi-legibly with their non-dominent arm?

Also... for everyday life did you do most things for them or did you highly encourage them to do things on their own.  She has melt downs if I do not dress and undress her, brush her hair, ect...

Never have delt with a major broken bone, myself or a child... so just trying to do my best for her.  Surgery is likely so untill we see an ortho in a day or two I am unsure of how long the recovery time is gonna be but she has mutiple breaks at/right above her elbow and some other damage in that area.

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I was the biggest baby when I broke my itty bitty pinky in 2nd grade.  If it just happened, you might want to help her out a bit more, but broken bones take several weeks, and there's bound to be a time when you really just aren't available (you will eventually have to pee or shower).  Focus on helping her problem solve, too.  Buttons aren't going to be easy, so what are some other choices?  I would think it would be in her best interest to do some things on her own and not let her get out of everything.  Good luck with everything!

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have her do as much as possible on her own, help her out with the harder things, but if it is obvious it is something she CAN do, have her do it.  I would do more oral stuff, but I would still have her work on things with her non-dominant hand.  It can come in handy later.  I know I was glad I had worked on writing and such with both hands when I dislocated my right shoulder and still had to take tests and do homework in high school. 

Poor baby, surgery is no fun, neither is a broken bone.  I hope it heals well and quickly!

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It never hurts to have an ambidextrous child.  You're home schooling.  If you make your own curriculum and don't have to submit anything the only person who has to read/understand it is you.  Might take longer for her to get work done as she tries to write with a non dominant hand but take frequent breaks.  Let me tell you as a lefty I wish I had practiced more with my right hand.  I'm home schooling my son who is right handed and it's a PITA to try and help him write. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I seem to remember that some kids with broken arms in school could still write with their cast on.    Maybe not when the injury is very fresh and hurts a lot, but when it starts healing and isn't in constant pain.   Yeah, a little writing doesn't hurt.   However, understand it's going to look off and tell her that's OK.

As for independence, I agree with the previous person that said if it's "newer" that I would help more, but also just come right out and say, "Your arm is healing and you will be able to do some of this yourself.  I'll help you today, but if you could get yourself dressed, then I can spend a few minutes brushing your hair." (because who doesn't enjoy sitting down and getting a nice hairbrushing... it's like a massage!)

She is probably also still scared of how much it DID hurt, so getting used to using the other arm isn't the only concern.   She's afraid to hurt again, probably.  Keep encouraging her that it's getting better.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM

By the way, what on earth did she do to herself??? 

ballerina.2006
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I don't recall if I wrote with my dominent hand still or not. I know I had to feed myself left handed. My cast was from knuckles to half way up my upper arm. I was 6/7yo (2nd grade in public school). Would dictation work? Drop handwritting or whatever is similar and do dictation for answers for now?
diane5583
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Quoting KrissyKC:

Well she was sitting on my $50 plant stand using it as a chair when I was upstairs and could not see her.  A leg broke off and she says she hit her back and then her arm... but I am pretty sure that she slammed her elbow on the floor first because the xray report shows multiple condyle breaks, fluid, and a bunch of other damage in the area above the elbow and in the elbow.  we went to convient care Friday night and they xrayed and splinted it,  We should be hearing from the orthopedist Monday to have her looked at again and see if she will just get a traditional cast or if she is going to need surgery.

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Whoa Nelly looks like she's gonna have to learn either way to use her non dominent hand unless you plan to help her wipe herself when she uses the bathroom.  Get her started early this way if she does at some point later on down the road have issues with her dominant hand again at the very least she can write/sign her name with her non dominant hand if need be.  It will be rough but as long as you don't have her writing essays and book reports she should be fine.  Good luck and many blessings for a speedy recovery. 

Quoting diane5583:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Well she was sitting on my $50 plant stand using it as a chair when I was upstairs and could not see her.  A leg broke off and she says she hit her back and then her arm... but I am pretty sure that she slammed her elbow on the floor first because the xray report shows multiple condyle breaks, fluid, and a bunch of other damage in the area above the elbow and in the elbow.  we went to convient care Friday night and they xrayed and splinted it,  We should be hearing from the orthopedist Monday to have her looked at again and see if she will just get a traditional cast or if she is going to need surgery.

diane5583
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Thanks.. Suprisingly she has been going to the bathroom by herself,, she has also only been wearing dresses.. that might have something to do with it.  She didn't eat for a day and a half ( I think the pain had more to do with it) but finally gave up and ate dinner tonite.. took 2 hours and she only ate maybe half her dish, but she did not ask for help...  Some things she melts down about others she doesn't even think to ask for help.  I think she will become more independent, especially when she is in a real cast and feels more secure.

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

Whoa Nelly looks like she's gonna have to learn either way to use her non dominent hand unless you plan to help her wipe herself when she uses the bathroom.  Get her started early this way if she does at some point later on down the road have issues with her dominant hand again at the very least she can write/sign her name with her non dominant hand if need be.  It will be rough but as long as you don't have her writing essays and book reports she should be fine.  Good luck and many blessings for a speedy recovery. 

Quoting diane5583:

Quoting KrissyKC:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

oh no, poor thing!!!    That must have been extremely painful!!!!   I'm sorry for BOTH of you!

I'm sending her some hugs and prayers from our family!   Hope she feels better soon and that maybe through God's grace, they won't need to do surgery.  

Quoting diane5583:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN