Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

daughter with broken dominent arm

Posted by   + Show Post

I was curious if anyone has had a child with a broken dominent arm.. If you homeschooled did you do more oraly or did you expect that they still did some worksheets and learn to write semi-legibly with their non-dominent arm?

Also... for everyday life did you do most things for them or did you highly encourage them to do things on their own.  She has melt downs if I do not dress and undress her, brush her hair, ect...

Never have delt with a major broken bone, myself or a child... so just trying to do my best for her.  Surgery is likely so untill we see an ortho in a day or two I am unsure of how long the recovery time is gonna be but she has mutiple breaks at/right above her elbow and some other damage in that area.

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Replies (11-16):
1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Casts come in really cool colors now... my fave part about cast is they can also make it multi color!!!!  Shhhhhhhhhhh and SHARPIE ALL OVER IT!!!!  I had foot surgery as an adult had to have a cast for Christmas and they combine read and green.  Maybe if they have to cast her she can ask for black and orange or purple and orange for halloween/fall 

Quoting diane5583:

Thanks.. Suprisingly she has been going to the bathroom by herself,, she has also only been wearing dresses.. that might have something to do with it.  She didn't eat for a day and a half ( I think the pain had more to do with it) but finally gave up and ate dinner tonite.. took 2 hours and she only ate maybe half her dish, but she did not ask for help...  Some things she melts down about others she doesn't even think to ask for help.  I think she will become more independent, especially when she is in a real cast and feels more secure.

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

Whoa Nelly looks like she's gonna have to learn either way to use her non dominent hand unless you plan to help her wipe herself when she uses the bathroom.  Get her started early this way if she does at some point later on down the road have issues with her dominant hand again at the very least she can write/sign her name with her non dominant hand if need be.  It will be rough but as long as you don't have her writing essays and book reports she should be fine.  Good luck and many blessings for a speedy recovery. 

Quoting diane5583:

Quoting KrissyKC:

By the way, what on earth did she do to herself??? 

Well she was sitting on my $50 plant stand using it as a chair when I was upstairs and could not see her.  A leg broke off and she says she hit her back and then her arm... but I am pretty sure that she slammed her elbow on the floor first because the xray report shows multiple condyle breaks, fluid, and a bunch of other damage in the area above the elbow and in the elbow.  we went to convient care Friday night and they xrayed and splinted it,  We should be hearing from the orthopedist Monday to have her looked at again and see if she will just get a traditional cast or if she is going to need surgery.

LongBeachLiz
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally I would slack a little bit on the homeschooling for the first week. Pain is hard to concentrate through.

What about more games, visual learning and reading? It is temporary so I wouldn't over stress it.
diane5583
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I thought about it but we just took a week off to spend a week in another state with my aunt who is in the hospital. She broke her arm the night we got back. She isn't complaining about pain much so I figure I am going to adapt and work at her speed

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Personally I would slack a little bit on the homeschooling for the first week. Pain is hard to concentrate through.

What about more games, visual learning and reading? It is temporary so I wouldn't over stress it.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I wouldn't make her do too much until she gets an actual cast!  Those splints don't provide a lot of support.  DS broke his elbow and was in a splint for almost a week before he could get in to get it casted and it was a PITA, plus he hated the sling!  Once the actual cast is on everything is a lot easier. 

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM

My son injured his dominant hand. Including surgeries he had to use his left hand for six months. He was in ps at the time.

They gave him more multiple choice questions, essay questions were verbal...and sometimes he just wrote with his left hand. 

My son was very freaked out and wanted a lot of help getting dressed and such. I think he felt as if he were made of glass! It's just a bit of shock for them to realize they are not invincible. Adults are the same way. It's just something you have to deal with. 

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I think as time goes by she will figure out how to get things done.  Her handwritting may not be as legible as it is now and it may take a few weeks once her cast comes off to get her back up to par, but she will make it.  I would help her where you think she needs it now and slowly let her figure the rest out.  I'm betting that she is melting down b/c she is in pain and there isn't anything that you or she can do about it.  Good luck!!

I had my dominant hand splinted and then in a sling for 6 weeks while I was a Junior in high school.  My poor sisters had to help me get partially dressed in the morning.  I felt bad for them, but I couldn't get my bra hooked.  Otherwise I was pretty independent until it came time to write a report for school.  I wrote it the best I could and then had one or both of my sisters helping out to get my final draft done so I could turn it in (the age before computers existed in everyhome...not even a typewritter in our house).  They were both patient and helpful with those areas, but was independent in all other aspects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)