Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i need some help... if you dont mind.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hello ladies.

I am homeschooling my 6 year old DD. We moved from Maine to MA last week. In Maine I dont have to register or anything until she is 7. I am unprepared for MA because our move was very unexpected. Hubby was offered a job and we moved within two weeks.

In MA I have to register her now that she is 6.  Maine is very relaxed and a letter of intent is all that is required. In MA I have to fill out a form providing so much detail.... I am feeling overwhelmed and unprepared.

They want to know...

the instructional program to be taught including subjects

a daily schedule

a school year calender

a detailed curricula

and intstructional material/technology to be used...

My educational background, life experience and qualifications to instruct my DD.

I didnt create a school calender, I dont have a planned out curriculm. its not required in Maine .... we just made sure to cover the basic subjects and followed her lead. We do field trips, experiements and crafts. But I dont have it planned out as to what will be done everyday of the year.

I am not sure where to start. I am just freaking out a little bit. LOL.

any advice?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

i apologize that this is all over the place. I am trying to sort it all out in my head and collect everything they need!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Well, that would be stressful! I would start with a school calendar, I guess. Go from macro to micro. I would get on yahoo groups and find some Homeschoolers right by you and see what they do.
RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I have applied to a few Yahoo groups but I havent found anyone near me yet. They are all on the other side of the state. Its tough because the info required changes from school district to the next.

Quoting mem82:

Well, that would be stressful! I would start with a school calendar, I guess. Go from macro to micro. I would get on yahoo groups and find some Homeschoolers right by you and see what they do.

ripemango
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

i would google and find a local HSing support group in your area. It'll be a great way to meet other HSers close to you and there are prob many resources associated w it. (My local cover organization in AL is very much set up to help HSers along the way of figuring it all out and has a really good website w tons of resources on state requirements.) I would bet there are even templates w examples of what to include in what the state is asking.

You *need* to ensure that you know what the state requirements for HSing are before sending in all of that info.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

If it changes from one school district to the next then someone is asking for more than they are legally allowed.  Make sure you check your State laws and comply with them.  If the school district you are in is going overboard, give them what you are legally required to and tell them to STFU!

Quoting RADmomma:

I have applied to a few Yahoo groups but I havent found anyone near me yet. They are all on the other side of the state. Its tough because the info required changes from school district to the next.

Quoting mem82:

oredeb
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
oredeb
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

another one  http://www.ahem.info/HomeschoolinMA.html

Getting Started Homeschooling in Massachusetts

• Practical help for navigating homeschooling policy and practice in Massachusetts
  • Background information about homeschooling in Massachusetts
  • Key documents that all Massachusetts homeschoolers should read
  • Handling It Ourselves:

An inspirational piece on being your own best advocate
    RADmomma
    by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM

MA doesnt seem to be very HS friendly.

I have joined a few groups on yahoo and tried google but i am not finding much. I am going to try again after lunch & change up the key words some.

Quoting ripemango:

i would google and find a local HSing support group in your area. It'll be a great way to meet other HSers close to you and there are prob many resources associated w it. (My local cover organization in AL is very much set up to help HSers along the way of figuring it all out and has a really good website w tons of resources on state requirements.) I would bet there are even templates w examples of what to include in what the state is asking.

You *need* to ensure that you know what the state requirements for HSing are before sending in all of that info.

RADmomma
    by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

from what I read online... each school district can ask for its own info. I checked my states website and if I am understanding it correctly they can ask for everything i mentioned above. guess I have more research to do

Quoting kmath:

If it changes from one school district to the next then someone is asking for more than they are legally allowed.  Make sure you check your State laws and comply with them.  If the school district you are in is going overboard, give them what you are legally required to and tell them to STFU!

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting mem82:

Knightquester
    by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I do one each year for myself.  I fill in what we're covering in each subject each month and it makes it easier for me to make sure we're meeting our monthly goals.

So here's an idea of a blank calender I would fill up.  You could always write in subject based in the area of art, and if you're not doing a set curriculum maybe a list of websites and books you will be pulling your curriculum from per each subject and on the calendar what you're covering each month, like Life Science, or Multiplication or something like that.

I looked online and Massachusetts doesn't seem homeschool friendly at all.  If you haven't already put your letter of intent, then I wonder if you can't just homeschool off the grid, or claim your daughter as still being in Maine (family maybe?).  I don't know but I agree with Mem, if you can find any homeschoolers in your current district who can offer some advice on how they navigated the system, it might give you some peace of mind.  Good Luck!

Oooh, I ran across this by accident looking up your state laws, it might be worth checking out :-)

http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/homeschooling_in_massachusetts.shtml

http://www.time4learning.net/forum/massachusetts/

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN