Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First day of school today! *Update* Change of plans. So not working out...

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 26 Replies

I tried really hard but dd is just dragging her feet. She's staying up all night (think 3am chatting on FB) sleeping in all day, doing her work half ass and rushing through her chores to see her friends. I'm thinking we need to change gears and a bit more unschooling. So new plan.

DD can sleep in as late as she wants but she has to spend a minimum of 5 hours at home with the family before she can go see her friends. This 5 hours excludes FB and her tablet. She can watch documentries with me and her brother, go to the library with us, do arts and crafts, read, write, explore; anything she wants except social media :-)  Her curfew is 9:30 and no tablet, laptop or T.V.  past 11:00. Other than that she can stay up as late as she likes. 

Her first words when I told her was, "I'm waking up at 5am." LOL We'll see how that goes.

Today is 13yo dd's first day of homeschool! I'm a bit nervous and pretty excited. I'm trying not to go too easy or too hard on her.

So here's how her days going to look. Any feedback would be awesome!

Wake up at 9:00 (Or when I finish writing this,lol) Eat breakfast, shower, ect.

Work at 10:00: Science: Watch nature documentary, write down interesting facts.

Writing: 30 min minimum Wattpad Fan fiction about Harry Styles.

Reading 1hr of favorite book. (This can be done at anytime during the day)

Grammar: Mad Libs

Math: 30 min AchieveMath online

History: One chapter of Greek Gods and Goddesses *Followed by a weekly collage*

I figure I can add more or change things as we go.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
all2gethernow
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Awesome!!! Good luck!

In still homeschooling two of four. They are 12 and 14. This is our day:

Wake up 9 or so. I do my school in the am while the do chores and eat. (BSdegree)

11 math/algebra
11:45. Physical science
12:30 ancient history
1:15 world geography
2:00 essentials in writing
2:30 electives. Psych for the 14 yo, sports math for the 12 yo.
3:00 literature

5:00 mtw karate
6:00 m th f football
6:00 tues young marines

Once a month we do an art study and project.
Once a month we do microscopes and biology projects.

I've been homeschooling for 14 years. :)

Best to you both:)
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I dream of the day I can have a schedule.   I juggle four kids that are all very NOT independent workers.   They all have some form of focus, impulse control, etc...  EVERYTHING needs to be guided ALL the time.   That's really hard with three on different levels (K, 4th, 6th)... and then the 15 month old.

Quoting all2gethernow:

Awesome!!! Good luck!

Wake up 9 or so. I do my school in the am while the do chores and eat. (BSdegree)

11 math/algebra

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Be prepared to juggle that schedule, get her input on what order to do the subjects in, but work very hard at staying up to date so you get things finished. Be prepared to sit with her for a while at first to make sure she's not goofing off, then wean her off your presence until she can work mostly independently.

Those are things that I learned along the way when I pulled DD at age 14.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Remember to give her a great deal of input on when she wants to do each lesson, where she wants to do school, stuff like that which gives her a stake in her day!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I love your schedule! Now how do you test what the kids learn? Do they do projects or do they just talk about it?

Quoting all2gethernow:

Awesome!!! Good luck!

11 math/algebra

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

all2gethernow
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Most of our curriculum has quizzes and chapter tests. I preplan everything on homeschool tracker, then plug in grades. My kids need report cards for karate, football and young marines, so I keep it pretty up to date.

Quoting paganbaby:

I love your schedule! Now how do you test what the kids learn? Do they do projects or do they just talk about it?

Quoting all2gethernow:

Awesome!!! Good luck!

11 math/algebra

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

YAY!! Wishing you both all the best!! She's going to LOVE it!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Looking good. Are you keeping it light at first? You know what I'm going to say (*wink*) - I think you need to up the ante with language arts and math - standard freshman/high school literature analysis, a formal composition program, and something more rigorous for grammar - and probably an hour of math instead of 30 minutes.

But I also know she's coming out of a less than stellar brick and mortar environment, so less is probably more for now. Good luck!

(just keep in mind that you'll need to keep transcripts, and applicable courses that are considered high school standard, should she want to go to college)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Record keeping is VITAL for homeschooling high school. Really. Set up a system now to keep track of everything. I always recommend the book "College Prep Homeschooling" by David Byers for knowing what you need to get the appropriate credits for the work your child does. Hugely helpful.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Looking good. Are you keeping it light at first? You know what I'm going to say (*wink*) - I think you need to up the ante with language arts and math - standard freshman/high school literature analysis, a formal composition program, and something more rigorous for grammar - and probably an hour of math instead of 30 minutes.

But I also know she's coming out of a less than stellar brick and mortar environment, so less is probably more for now. Good luck!

(just keep in mind that you'll need to keep transcripts, and applicable courses that are considered high school standard, should she want to go to college)

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

It sounds like you have an idea of what is going to work....take it build on it, change it, tear it down and start over if you have to.  I would also make sure you give her some time to adjust.  I know you just pulled her and it may be a difficult start, but I know you only want whats best for her and I hope that someday she sees and understands that love and sacrifice you have made for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)