Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!!! What do I do?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

I home school my 2 oldest children (9 and 8). We recently switched to A.C.E. Paces. My oldest is borderline ADHD and this has helped him TREMENDOUSLY!!! My 8 year old.. not so much! He was doing textbooks before this (like PS) and it didn't work. Now we switched to this and it's not working. He gets so frustrated! He doesn't like any noise when he is working and he has to read out loud. Well, I also have 5 month old b/g twins and they aren't so quiet and also have my 9 year old working with his workbooks. What suggestions do you have for me? I am about to go nuts!!! :/ I don't know what else to do. How do you work with multiple children that are on different levels? I am trying very hard not to lose my patience. What else can I try with him? I even thought about working with 1 child at a time, while the other plays with the babies. But it will take a lot longer. I just don't know what else to do. Please Help!

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Try another new thing for your 8yo.  Only do actual read aloud work completely seperately.  I've found I need to do read aloud work with my middle boy curled up away from everything or he will not do well be unable to concentrate.  Also take advantage of nap time. 

How much can you do together?  We do history, science, geography, art and music all together.

WizardOfAhs
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes a child doesn't need different curriculum, but a different mindset. I can understand if you have tried a few things and want to continue looking for other workbooks, but maybe it's the distractions that are keeping him from understanding his work. Before you start the day, explain to the kids it's work time, which means quiet time. Try getting all the other children situated and quieted down, and then giving your attention to the 8yo. to explain his assignments to him. If you can, set him up a work area in a different area of the house. Tell him it isn't to separate him from the rest, but because he works so well independently that you can trust him to be in the other room and get his work done. Then he can read aloud all he likes and concentrate. Also, if he has to read aloud to 'get it', I would try more audio/visual resources for learning. There are days I HAVE to separate my kids into 3 different rooms, or they will chatter the day away and get very little done. It takes time to get into the rhythm of things, don't give up =)
kimbral3
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thanks! We do social studies, Art and Science together. They do English and Math separately. We do not move on until that particular thing is mastered. The only problem with that is they get frustrated with that. If it's not simple, they "huff and puff" about how hard it is. (Keep in mind I still have them reviewing from last year's work)... Maybe it's me. I don't know. It's hard enough that I have the twins needing m at the same time and each of the boys working on separate things. I'm just having a rough few days.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I often work with multiple grades.  It is easier when you use the old one room school house  approach. 

• Understanding  the 8 year old's learning style should help.  Many children with ADHD are hands on learners. 
  • Ring Around The Phonics  is a learning tool I use a lot.  It  is a hands on learning  for language arts subjects, but I have even used it to jaz up math workbooks for hands on learners.  Yyou can play it with both children at the same time even if they are on different levels..
  • I often have to combine lessons for children from K through 6Th grade.  I start out with an activity that all the children can do together such as Ring Around  The Phonics, discussions,    whole brain math games, ext. Whole brain teaching gives you some ideas how to create these lessons.  Read the link about what Finish teachers are doing.  It has several ideas.  Then I have them do their individual work.  For the 9 year old use what is working for him.  For the 8 year old try work boxes. 
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I find out how he learns first.  It sounds like you have used 2 curriculums that don't necesarrily cater to his learning style.  Once you figure that out you may be able to help give him some stuff that will help him learn and want to learn.  The other thing to try and do is work on reading aloud when the little ones are down for a nap and he can sit with you for a little bit and have your undivided attention.  I hope you find something that works for him.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Good pair of noise silencing earphones?   Maybe with a little light classical music playing if that's something he would enjoy?   Create the 8 yr old his own corner that is soft colors and very little visual distractions, keep his desk simple, the lighting soft but good...   Leave the earphones optional, and the music optional, but start teaching him how he can isolate himself when he needs it.

My kids are doing VERY well with Math U See.   They watch a 10-20 minute video, go do their workbook work at their own pace.  If it's easy, they might finish it all in 40 minutes... otherwise, they spread it out and do it over a couple days and then take an assessment before moving on.   I only have to be involved to give them the test (make sure they are undisturbed and take it with a test taking attitude) and I help when they get stuck.  I either watch the video with them or use the teachers manual to help.  There are supposed to be more helps and resources online, but we haven't needed them yet.   It DOES help to invest in the manipulatives (blocks and such)... because MUS teaches on a very visual and hands on way.

Combining!!!!  Combining is your friend.   Mine are further apart than yours and we learn spelling, social studies, religion, and science collectively.  I just combine them and we all do the same work.   We use Rod & Staff spelling at the age of the eldest (since they are both strong readers and spellers)...  We also use Rod & Staff for their social studies this year, it's more of a text book, but we read it together and make the maps together.   Their kindergarten sister is joining us in Apologia anatomy and I bought them all the journalling notebooks that go along with it (they have one for K-2 and one for the older kids!)   She isn't picking up on all of it, but she's learning how to enjoy learning with us and remembering a few things here and there.

Then, with her, I seperately do a morning board and let her have some educational websites (like time4learning.com) while I work with them on their English and tougher subjects.

We also use documentaries, too.   Sometimes we'll take it a step further and doodle about the documentary and then they share with their father what they watched and learned when he gets home.  Sometimes, I just let them watch.

When we feel like we are in the dole drums, I add something new.   Either an art project, a field trip, or just a book study because my kids LOVE read alouds even if it means having to fill out study guides and do extra projects.   When I add something, I give them a break on something.   Like if they are getting tired of doing the actual "spelling work" in the book, we might take a couple weeks and just memorize the words and test on them.   Or we will drop down to English twice a week if they are complaining about english...

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM
How plausible is it for you to get a mother's helper 2 or 3 days a week for 2 hours? A homeschool teen would do it pretty cheap, like 20 dollars a week. Sometimes all the age groups line up wrong and it gets challenging.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kimbral3:

Thanks! We do social studies, Art and Science together. They do English and Math separately. We do not move on until that particular thing is mastered. The only problem with that is they get frustrated with that. If it's not simple, they "huff and puff" about how hard it is. (Keep in mind I still have them reviewing from last year's work)... Maybe it's me. I don't know. It's hard enough that I have the twins needing m at the same time and each of the boys working on separate things. I'm just having a rough few days.

Review work has to be fun, fun, fun!  Think about how anoying it is when someone tells you a story you have already heard.  My boys HATE review, it's like they need to prove all over again that they know it.  I would try to stick out this curriculum until you get through the review.  Hugs!  That can be tough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)