Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help with kindergartener

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM
  • 22 Replies
My second child is very different from my first. My first started counting young, loved searching for letters, loved reading and doing school with me. He actuallt surprisingly loved worksheets too! Now, my second, my 5 yr old seems not interested in reading and gets reallg frustrated easily. I read to him and have him read one or two words. From the paragraph, like thr story we read today he read "den" and "tom". Hr had no interest, and seemed bored and not trying, and at guessed. Maybe he's not ready to read yet? We are apart of a charter, and i know next year he will have writing test. So, i dont kno, if we werent apart of tge charter i wouldnt feel pressured.

Sorry for the typos etc. Im so tired and my phone is bejng silly
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I just asked for advice on this.  My son is 4 and he is learning to read, he wanted to but he can not focus when sitting still.  We jump from letter to letter saying the letter and its sound.  Then we pull letters to make words and he sounds them out then runs to the wall to find the word and read it.  He is slowly showing more interest in reading books.  I am printing the ones off of starfall.com.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM

It can be a natural time clock. It can also be his learning style.  My daughter was trying to help him to learn his phonic sounds with flash cards, but it quickly became a chore for both of them.  So she began using the board game Ring Around The Phonics (it is a board game that comes with books). Learning to read became a fun time  for them.  He could read the early reader books, and sound out large words (a travel game they played) like premium, but he had no desire to pick up a book  and read it.  So she continued to read to him until one day he liked the picture on a book, and wanted her to read it.  She said he would have to wait, because she did not have the  time at that moment.  Anxious to know what was inside the book, he began reading it on his own, and has been an avid reader from then on.  It was his natural time clock. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I wouldn't know how to handle the charter, but I have 2 that would much rather I read to them (at that age, anyway), but they know how to read.  My 1st grader won't read much to me if I ask, "You do it, Mom."  Or, my personal fave, "I'm too tired."  But he knows how to do it.  I've seen him read to himself.  I've seen him read to others.  It may just be that he enjoys his special time with you and doesn't want to give it up.  But if you don't think that's the case, I don't have any advice for you because I don't think you can force learning, it happens when it happens.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I think for our read aloud times together, my daughter doesn't like stopping the story to sound out words.  She wants to keep hearing it.    ((She's 5 and is like your son, she is opposite of her older sibs.))    

I am just continuing with phonics during phonics and helping her learn to write and form the letters... however, I don't interrupt her stories with practice right now.   I want her to love the books and reading, so I make the story time fun.

Later, when she is reading more proficiently during our phonics, word games, and such; then I will start letting her sound out words in books while we read.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Thanks! I will look into that!

Quoting romacox:

It can be a natural time clock. It can also be his learning style.  My daughter was trying to help him to learn his phonic sounds with flash cards, but it quickly became a chore for both of them.  So she began using the board game Ring Around The Phonics (it is a board game that comes with books). Learning to read became a fun time  for them.  He could read the early reader books, and sound out large words (a travel game they played) like premium, but he had no desire to pick up a book  and read it.  So she continued to read to him until one day he liked the picture on a book, and wanted her to read it.  She said he would have to wait, because she did not have the  time at that moment.  Anxious to know what was inside the book, he began reading it on his own, and has been an avid reader from then on.  It was his natural time clock. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

how does he do on math precious?

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
He loves starfall and leapfrog as well as other shows.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I just asked for advice on this.  My son is 4 and he is learning to read, he wanted to but he can not focus when sitting still.  We jump from letter to letter saying the letter and its sound.  Then we pull letters to make words and he sounds them out then runs to the wall to find the word and read it.  He is slowly showing more interest in reading books.  I am printing the ones off of starfall.com.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Yeah, i agree, i dont want to force him either, i want him to learn to love it. If we were apart of a charter i wouldnt be.so stressed

Quoting hwblyf:

I wouldn't know how to handle the charter, but I have 2 that would much rather I read to them (at that age, anyway), but they know how to read.  My 1st grader won't read much to me if I ask, "You do it, Mom."  Or, my personal fave, "I'm too tired."  But he knows how to do it.  I've seen him read to himself.  I've seen him read to others.  It may just be that he enjoys his special time with you and doesn't want to give it up.  But if you don't think that's the case, I don't have any advice for you because I don't think you can force learning, it happens when it happens.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
We have singapore math. He likes it but it can be challenging for him

Quoting oredeb:

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
We use a lot of manipulatives too along with it

Quoting Precious333:

We have singapore math. He likes it but it can be challenging for him

Quoting oredeb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)