Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Recommendations... Boxed curriculum

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 18 Replies
I'm thinking of getting a boxed curriculum that I can add to and enhance with projects & field trips. I think doing my own curriculum is overwhelming me

We are not religious & are on a budget... Dd is technically kindergarten but is taking some first grade things as well...

Recommendations??
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

i just seen this , dont know anything about it but here it is! http://www.evolutionhomeschool.com/

http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/curriculum/secular-homeschool-curriculum.aspx

oak meadow

robinson curr i think they use all secular, i cant remember!hahahhaa

http://www.core-curriculum.com/

calvert curr   not sure if this is on line or not

i just found this there might be something here!

Packaged or boxed curriculum:
Starline Press
Character Based Curriculum Grades 3-12. I haven't looked at this in depth, but it looks similar to Lifepacs. Character Based Curriculum
Calvert Calvert School: Calvert School
Oakmeadow Oak Meadow: Homeschool Curriculum and Resources
Sycamore tree (Click on Secular Package) Our Store
Core Curriculum Core-Curriculum: Home School packages and Homeschool Curriculum
Curriculum Services Curriculum Services.com
McRuffy LA, Math and Science (K-2nd is Neutral, for 3rd click on public School Version) McRuffy Press
Winter Promise (Leave out bible Section) WinterPromise Publications -- Home
Moving Beyond the Page: Homeschool Curriculum For Gifted and Creative Children. Lower elementary.

PreSchool Specific
Before Five in a RowWelcome To Five In A Row
Slow and Steady, Get me Ready by Oberlander Amazon.com: Slow and Steady Get Me Ready: Books: June Oberlander
Get Ready for the Code Educators Publishing Service
Get set for School (Handwriting/letter learning) Handwriting Without Tears: The easy way to teach pre-printing, printing, and cursive handwriting!
Seasons of Joy (Waldorf Inspired) Winter
Singapore Earlybird Math Singapore Math
Mudpies to Magnets (Science) by Williams Gryphon House, Inc.

Waldorf Inspired:
Oakmeadow Oak Meadow: Homeschool Curriculum and Resources
Christopherus Christopherus Homeschool Resources - Waldorf-inspired curriculum materials, consulting and more...
Live Education Waldorf Homeschooling - Waldorf home school curriculum
Enki Education Enki: Homeschool Curriculum, Classroom Curriculum
Noble Knights of Knowledge (math program) Noble Knights of Knowledge Math Program

Phonics:
Sing. Spell, Read & Write
Sing, Spell, Read & Write - Homeschool
Phonics Pathways Phonics Books, Phonics Programs, Phonics Pathways | Dorbooks, Inc.| Reading Programs
100ez lessons
Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading
Peace Hill Press
Explode the Code Educators Publishing Service
Saxon Phonics Saxon Publishers
Modern Curriculum Press Welcome to Pearson Learning
Five Minute Phonicsby Gretchen Mork
*Free* Starfall Learn to Read at Starfall - teaching comprehension and phonics
*Free* Blend Phonics: Blend Phonics
*Free*Stairway to Reading Society for Quality Education: Research on Choice for Canadians

also heres the rest of the page it has a lot of secular stuff!

http://www.amitymama.com/277851-i-thought-i-would-put.html

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Calvert is awesome, but pricey. Sometimes you luck out and find it on ebay.

Oak Meadow is secular, but I would be weary of using it at the kinder/first level if you aren't fans of delayed learning. I believe they aren't even doing phonics until first with the curriculum and the math, all the way through middle school, seems behind other programs.

Have you considered using prepackaged PIECES of curricula, but from different companies? SOTW can be secularized and is a great history program, their sister grammar program (First Language Lessons) is great, add a math and a science, phonics pathways, then handwriting without tears, hit them each every day and you're good to go.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

POC4U $12.98

http://edudps.com/poc4u.html

Will give you grade levels, best learning styles, best ways to learn and teach to those styles AND suggest curriculum pieces for those styles. Almost all of those pieces work for all styles which is truly great. You can use it over and over and for more than one student throughout your homeschooling years.

I do NOT recommend a full box curriculum and if I had a Kinder I would also consider Five in a Row $35.00

http://fiveinarow.com/

and get the books from the library then suppliment with anything else I wanted to add in.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump. I just kinda frankenstein mine as I go along,lol.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Don't be overwhelmed with making your own curriculum. I piece most of my stuff from things I find at the thrift store. It can be done! Just takes extra work. 

For the age you need you can find a ton of used material. 

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

my biggest problem is that when we were in Maine I just put it together with what I had and could find locally because we were learning and covering everything that the state required. Maine is very very lient. I didnt get it all together at once. But added to our lessons throughout the year.

we just moved to MA and they want proof of my curriculm and everything, so now I feel unprepared.

We do work books for writing, we read books & use flash cards to learn reading/phonics... we sound out things all over town, this isnt something that is done once a day... we play games & incorporate math all day as well, at the grocery store and while cooking.

we do arts and crafts and science experiments all the time. We get ideas from Pinterest and other websites. We also watch the Magic School bus and other science based shows on Netflix.

we watch all kinds of documentaries on netflix or online & then find books to go along with them...

how do i show that as a curriculm?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Oak Meadow is secular, but I would be weary of using it at the kinder/first level if you aren't fans of delayed learning. I believe they aren't even doing phonics until first with the curriculum and the math, all the way through middle school, seems behind other programs.

Have you considered using prepackaged PIECES of curricula, but from different companies? SOTW can be secularized and is a great history program, their sister grammar program (First Language Lessons) is great, add a math and a science, phonics pathways, then handwriting without tears, hit them each every day and you're good to go.

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

this is what I have done in the  past but moving made this difficult and now I feel unprepared.

Quoting paganbaby:

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

i dont mind the extra work and really do prefer my own curriculm but with what the state is asking from me.... i feel unprepared. We just moved from Maine to MA. Maine was very easy going and didnt require more than a very basic letter of intent. MA wants all sorts of information that I was not prepared to give.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Don't be overwhelmed with making your own curriculum. I piece most of my stuff from things I find at the thrift store. It can be done! Just takes extra work. 

For the age you need you can find a ton of used material. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I don't know how you show that as curriculum. I'm not one to suggest using no curricula. I buy texts, materials, and resources. Yours sounds like more of an unschooling approach and I'm not one for unschooling, so hopefully someone else can chime in about how you would record that :)

Quoting RADmomma:

my biggest problem is that when we were in Maine I just put it together with what I had and could find locally because we were learning and covering everything that the state required. Maine is very very lient. I didnt get it all together at once. But added to our lessons throughout the year.

we just moved to MA and they want proof of my curriculm and everything, so now I feel unprepared.

We do work books for writing, we read books & use flash cards to learn reading/phonics... we sound out things all over town, this isnt something that is done once a day... we play games & incorporate math all day as well, at the grocery store and while cooking.

we do arts and crafts and science experiments all the time. We get ideas from Pinterest and other websites. We also watch the Magic School bus and other science based shows on Netflix.

we watch all kinds of documentaries on netflix or online & then find books to go along with them...

how do i show that as a curriculm?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Oh that sucks :-(

Quoting RADmomma:

this is what I have done in the  past but moving made this difficult and now I feel unprepared.

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)