Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Recommendations... Boxed curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm thinking of getting a boxed curriculum that I can add to and enhance with projects & field trips. I think doing my own curriculum is overwhelming me

We are not religious & are on a budget... Dd is technically kindergarten but is taking some first grade things as well...

Recommendations??
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Replies (11-18):
PurpleCupcake
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I have heard of other moms in similar situations. When they did their write up they kept the information vague and somewhat simple. 

They cannot compel you to buy pricey boxed curriculum....heck...most of the curriculum you can buy hasn't been around nearly as long as homeschooling in  modern America. A decade or 2 ago there was no internet and people did homeschooling with a bible and some workbooks and classic lit. 

These write ups are mainly to show that you are covering all your subjects well. BUT.. as far as I know they can't make you teach whatever they say You must teach. For example Christians don't have to teach evolution. But, they can tell you you need to teach math..la and so forth. However, they can't force you to teach a certain way with specific material. 

Literally you can find enough material at thrift stores. You can buy used textbooks. And you can also just simply buy a non-textbook to teach from...for example a book about whales to teach marine biology. 

Online games, documentaries, and flash cards are also good resources. 

The point is ...it's YOUR curriculum. They want to know what things you will use to teach your child what. Specifically they want you to cover Math and Language arts the most...

Of course.....READ YOUR SPECIFIC STATE LAWS TO MAKE SURE WHAT SUBJECTS THEY WANT YOU TO TEACH.

What does your law state you must teach? 

Quoting RADmomma:

i dont mind the extra work and really do prefer my own curriculm but with what the state is asking from me.... i feel unprepared. We just moved from Maine to MA. Maine was very easy going and didnt require more than a very basic letter of intent. MA wants all sorts of information that I was not prepared to give.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Don't be overwhelmed with making your own curriculum. I piece most of my stuff from things I find at the thrift store. It can be done! Just takes extra work. 

For the age you need you can find a ton of used material. 

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ON MHLA...

General Laws c. 71, Secs. 1, 2, and 3, list the subjects that must be taught in schools maintained by the towns throughout the Commonwealth. Specifically, Sec. 1 requires "instruction and training in orthography, reading, writing, the English language and grammar, geography, arithmetic, drawing, music, the history and constitution of the United States, the duties of citizenship, health education, physical education and good behavior."

Note that there is no requirement that all subjects must be taught all years or that any particular subject must be taught in any particular year

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I have heard of other moms in similar situations. When they did their write up they kept the information vague and somewhat simple. 

They cannot compel you to buy pricey boxed curriculum....heck...most of the curriculum you can buy hasn't been around nearly as long as homeschooling in  modern America. A decade or 2 ago there was no internet and people did homeschooling with a bible and some workbooks and classic lit. 

These write ups are mainly to show that you are covering all your subjects well. BUT.. as far as I know they can't make you teach whatever they say You must teach. For example Christians don't have to teach evolution. But, they can tell you you need to teach math..la and so forth. However, they can't force you to teach a certain way with specific material. 

Literally you can find enough material at thrift stores. You can buy used textbooks. And you can also just simply buy a non-textbook to teach from...for example a book about whales to teach marine biology. 

The point is ...it's YOUR curriculum. They want to know what things you will use to teach your child what. Specifically they want you to cover Math and Language arts the most...

Of course.....READ YOUR SPECIFIC STATE LAWS TO MAKE SURE WHAT SUBJECTS THEY WANT YOU TO TEACH.

Quoting RADmomma:

i dont mind the extra work and really do prefer my own curriculm but with what the state is asking from me.... i feel unprepared. We just moved from Maine to MA. Maine was very easy going and didnt require more than a very basic letter of intent. MA wants all sorts of information that I was not prepared to give.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Don't be overwhelmed with making your own curriculum. I piece most of my stuff from things I find at the thrift store. It can be done! Just takes extra work. 

PurpleCupcake
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Oh that's not too bad. Basically English/Language arts, math, art, us history, geography, music and phys ed. Yeah you can bring that together. Even boxed curriculum will probably leave out music, art and phys ed. And keep in mind, you probably don't have to teach art, music and phys ed everyday. 

I think you can do it! Have you looked at eBay? Or Amazon? Harcourt & Prentince Hall are good brands that are cheap when used. 

Quoting RADmomma:

General Laws c. 71, Secs. 1, 2, and 3, list the subjects that must be taught in schools maintained by the towns throughout the Commonwealth. Specifically, Sec. 1 requires "instruction and training in orthography, reading, writing, the English language and grammar, geography, arithmetic, drawing, music, the history and constitution of the United States, the duties of citizenship, health education, physical education and good behavior."

Note that there is no requirement that all subjects must be taught all years or that any particular subject must be taught in any particular year

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Thank you so much.

here is an example of what we do now.

We do work books for writing, we read books & use flash cards to learn reading/phonics... we sound out things all over town, this isnt something that is done once a day... we play games & incorporate math all day as well, at the grocery store and while cooking.

we do arts and crafts and science experiments all the time. We get ideas from Pinterest and other websites. We also watch the Magic School bus and other science based shows on Netflix.

we watch all kinds of documentaries on netflix or online & then find books to go along with them... then add in a project or craft to tie it together.

we do some sort of physical activity each day. (nature walks, playground trips with other homeschoolers, ride bikes)

We just got a huge wall map to start adding geography.

arts and crafts are done at least 3 times a week. we try to incooperate a craft or project with something we learned during the week.

I do need to add history.

maybe im not as bad off as I thought??  we have TONS of books and visit the library often. Maybe im just concerned on how to show this as a curriculm to the school district.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh that's not too bad. Basically English/Language arts, math, art, us history, geography, music and phys ed. Yeah you can bring that together. Even boxed curriculum will probably leave out music, art and phys ed. And keep in mind, you probably don't have to teach art, music and phys ed everyday. 

I think you can do it! Have you looked at eBay? Or Amazon? Harcourt & Prentince Hall are good brands that are cheap when used. 

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

PurpleCupcake
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I think your doing ok! You do need something more for math, grammar & reading. I would suggest a used textbook for kindergarten. There is a lot envolved. You've got letter sounds, sight words, dolcsh words, grammar rules, handwriting, writing, reading, numbers, counting by 2, counting by 5, counting to 100, adding, subtracting...

For the history, you can start with you state's history and general American history. 

But yeah..I like what you got going on. The worst they can do is tell you to fix something if you've done it wrong. Can you resubmit? 

You do realize that you just wrote up the stuff that the state is looking for! you rock

Just make it formal and add a few things. Maybe call the state to see if they have a specific format you should follow.

Quoting RADmomma:

Thank you so much.

We do work books for writing, we read books & use flash cards to learn reading/phonics... we sound out things all over town, this isnt something that is done once a day... we play games & incorporate math all day as well, at the grocery store and while cooking.

we do arts and crafts and science experiments all the time. We get ideas from Pinterest and other websites. We also watch the Magic School bus and other science based shows on Netflix.

we watch all kinds of documentaries on netflix or online & then find books to go along with them... then add in a project or craft to tie it together.

we do some sort of physical activity each day. (nature walks, playground trips with other homeschoolers, ride bikes)

arts and crafts are done at least 3 times a week. we try to incooperate a craft or project with something we learned during the week.

maybe im not as bad off as I thought??  we have TONS of books and visit the library often. Maybe im just concerned on how to show this as a curriculm to the school district.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

what i listed was just an example.

some of the things you listed we already have down pat (but still practice.) she just turned 6 last week. She can count to 100, count by 2,5,& 10. We do use some workbooks for math but she prefers to learn hands on...she is also pretty familiar with money values.

We do need to work on grammar. She does practice handwriting daily in workbooks. She also has a penpal if that counts.

I do need to add history and will take your advice there.

THANK YOU so much for helping. I feel more confident already!!!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I think your doing ok! You do need something more for math, grammar & reading. I would suggest a used textbook for kindergarten. There is a lot envolved. You've got letter sounds, sight words, dolcsh words, grammar rules, handwriting, writing, reading, numbers, counting by 2, counting by 5, counting to 100, adding, subtracting...

For the history, you can start with you state's history and general American history. 

But yeah..I like what you got going on. The worst they can do is tell you to fix something if you've done it wrong. Can you resubmit? 

You do realize that you just wrote up the stuff that the state is looking for! you rock

Just make it formal and add a few things. Maybe call the state to see if they have a specific format you should follow.

Quoting RADmomma:

Thank you so much.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

RADmomma
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I just wanted to thank you for all the help.

I spent this weekend coming up with a curriculm and planned out lesson plans for the rest of the year!!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Thank you so much.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Your welcome! I'm glad your gaining confidence. This time next year you will be thinking, "what was I worried about?".

Quoting RADmomma:

I just wanted to thank you for all the help.

I spent this weekend coming up with a curriculm and planned out lesson plans for the rest of the year!!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Thank you so much.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting RADmomma:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN