Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Joys of Homeschooling

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my eldest started getting text messages on the kids phone (my kids share and it's also our house phone) from her public schooled friend that is home from school sick.  Well my eldest is sick too so while eating breakfast they gabbed about how sick they were and her friend basically insinuated that they could talk all day via texting.

I took the phone away after breakfast and after what seemed like the hundredth text from this kid I finally responded with, "This is Cathryns mom and just because she is home sick doesn't mean she can't do school, the joys of homeschooling.  She will get the phone back when her school work is done."  This friend of my daughters is a great kid but has made comments in the past about how easy my kids have it when it comes to schooling.  I kind of get the feeling from the way this kid talks that she thinks it's the glamorous life of school where you don't have very much work.  Hopefully this gave her some insight in to the fact that even homeschoolers have moments where they don't get a break.

Have you had to send such a message to your children's public schooled friends/family?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yes.  We have a different schedule than the public school, but the kids from the ps see us out and about all December while they are in school and ignore that we have school during some of their holidays.  We must have a MUCH shorter school year than they do.  Eventhough we don't take spring break, Columbus Day, MLK Day, any of the parent/teacher conference days.  They definately romanticize our set up.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

About 95% of my kids friends are homeschooled too, so they all know the drill.  The ones that aren't are very respectful of it.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Not yet, but give it time,lol. So far dd's only been home a week.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I have to chase the almost 4 yr old neighbor kid away every 5 minutes sometimes.   I really can't wait until he's in school.   Is that bad?   We have two full years to go, though.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM

O yes.... The neighbor's daughter seems to think we do nothing but art projects all day... It may be because when we watched her last year after she was done w/ school, we finished our day with art projects (so that she wasn't disrupting a core subject). This year now, theres been a few times we've done a core subject while she's been around and she'll quick try to do some of it, or rush my daughter while I'm doing dishes or not staring at the two of them even tho they KNOW she's not allowed in the "school nook" while Jamie is doing school work :/.  She keeps begging her mom to homeschool, but I honestly think its because she firmly believes we do nothing all day...
There are two other neighborhood kids as well that when they have off of school come and ring the door bell every five minutes to ask if the kids can play, even though I tell them, "No, we're doing school work right now." One day it got to the point where I had to tell them after ignoring the door bell as best we could (which was hard with the dog barking himself into a frenzy...) "If you ring the door bell one more time, the kids will not be playing because they've been so distracted from your constant disruptions, and they'll have to do more school work tomorrow (which was a weekend). I don't think they'll like you very much after that, do you?" ...my cranky side showed that day...

Knightquester
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Lol, yea' I have a sign I've had to put up on my door to keep us from getting disturbed during holidays and public school breaks that we don't take off.  I know a lot of the public school kids romanticize about homeschooling but I don't think they fully realize it means they still have to school.  This isn't to say they don't realize that my children are up to par (or in a few cases ahead) of them educationally, just that they don't grasp that my kids had to do work to get there.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes.  We have a different schedule than the public school, but the kids from the ps see us out and about all December while they are in school and ignore that we have school during some of their holidays.  We must have a MUCH shorter school year than they do.  Eventhough we don't take spring break, Columbus Day, MLK Day, any of the parent/teacher conference days.  They definately romanticize our set up.

Knightquester
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

My children have been homeschooling most of their lives (all for my son), but they still have about a 50/50 split of friends that are public/private schooled and homeschooled.  I like the diversity of their friends and really they aren't bad or disrespectful, just that some of them are clueless and ignorant when it comes to understanding what homeschooling is.

After I sent the text to my daughters friend yesterday, the girl responded, "sorry, we'll talk when she's done :)", so I know the girl isn't intentionally choosing to be disrespectful.  I just think she didn't consider that since she's home sick from school with no school work , that  my sick daughter would get the same luck of having no school too.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

About 95% of my kids friends are homeschooled too, so they all know the drill.  The ones that aren't are very respectful of it.

Knightquester
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

How's she doing?  Does she like homeschooling so far?

There are so many pro's and con's, as my children have stated to homeschooling.  The having to work when you're not severely sick or during holidays and breaks their public school friends get off is I think some of the few con's to a homeschool child.  Getting to do things, go places and take breaks when their friends are in school is a huge positive trade off to those same cons.

Quoting paganbaby:

Knightquester
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Is there a way you can tie a red ribbon on your door knob during school hours?  Maybe let the 4 year old know that when the red ribbon is tied there then she isn't to touch the ribbon, door, or door bell because the kids are doing school and can't play.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I have to chase the almost 4 yr old neighbor kid away every 5 minutes sometimes.   I really can't wait until he's in school.   Is that bad?   We have two full years to go, though.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Her day was very easy. A little too easy,lol. So far Monday was her only day. We have doc appts yesterday and today so she'll be working on the weekends to make that up.

She says she likes staying home but we'll see if she changes her mind once I beef up her studies a bit ;-) Oh and we're arguing already about her going to high school. I absolutely do not want her attending but I told her before it was up to her. Would it make me a bad mom to change my mind?

Quoting Knightquester:

How's she doing?  Does she like homeschooling so far?

There are so many pro's and con's, as my children have stated to homeschooling.  The having to work when you're not severely sick or during holidays and breaks their public school friends get off is I think some of the few con's to a homeschool child.  Getting to do things, go places and take breaks when their friends are in school is a huge positive trade off to those same cons.

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN