Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and have a few questions - please help.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am recently considering homeschooling my 10 yr old daughter. She is having a very rough time keeping up in school. She's in 5th grade currently but i'm actually questioning if she really even passed 4th. With the grades that came home last yr I really don't see how it's possible. But, they say she did.

My dd has tourettes and is also being evaluated for ADD. I feel like she needs more one on one than the school can provide and I also know that she struggles with reading comprehension. She is a very hands on learner and does much better when touching and seeing rather than reading.

So my questions are:

If I pull her out now can I just have her take it easy for a bit and ease into her. Give her time to "unschool" . I'm thinking things like cooking would be a nice start  - using fractions, doubling recipes (multiplying fractions). Or do I have to get her on a strict schedule and curriclum right away?

I'm in NJ and from what I see there really aren't too many strict curriculum guidelines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Replies (11-12):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
You sound like a perfect candidate for homeschooling. You've got good ideas already.
Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Thank you! I talked with my daughter more about this - although we discussed it in the past - I let her know that we would be homeschooling very soon. It was the first time I have seen her excited about learning in a very long time. She spent quite a long time talking about learning more about art and art history - she's particularly facinated with graffiti at the moment. And then my child that hates anything that has to do with reading and writing talked about poetry and writing stories. She's just as excited as I am!!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

You sound like a perfect candidate for homeschooling. You've got good ideas already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)