Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling in Oklahoma. I'm new to this

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so my children are all in public school.  My daughter has severe ADHD and we do not want to medicate her (we tried some different meds and they all made her zombie like...) The teacher sends home notes a lot.  Anyway, it is very difficult for her to learn, especially in such a social setting so I am considering homeschooling her.  In fact I'm about 99.9 percent sure it will happen in 1st grade.

I might wait until she gets into first grade and just start there or I may pull her out this school year.   

Do you live in Oklahoma?  What are the steps I need to take to begin our homeschooling journey? I mean do I have to go somewhere or fill out paperwork or do I just take her home from school and never take her back.  lol.  I do not know what I am doing as far as this part goes! 

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (11-18):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Oklahoma is known as the most homeschool friendly state in the US. Just withdraw her from school and that's it.

LilrockerMama
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Well make sure you put your info and stuff in the letter before you print it lol. But yeah by them I mean the school and like I said I just gave it to the principal. No problem! Where in Okla are you?

Quoting Mweddle:

Thanks!  Them as in just the school, right? Thanks for the link too! I'm going to go ahead and print that now.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

There's a website that I can't remember the name of, it had a paper that stated I was pulling so and so out and according to Oklahoma law whatever whatever and all that and I gave it to the principal and never took him back. I started this January and there's really no laws regulating it here. You have to notify them though if they've already started

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

You are most welcome

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I'm wanting to start homeschool next year and this was really helpful info. Thank you!

Quoting romacox:

Like others have said, the first step is to check the laws for your state:  Oklahoma State Laws

After that this article is full of information.  You will want to bookmark it because it is from k through 12.

How To Home School

Mweddle
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Norman :)

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Well make sure you put your info and stuff in the letter before you print it lol. But yeah by them I mean the school and like I said I just gave it to the principal. No problem! Where in Okla are you?

Quoting Mweddle:

Thanks!  Them as in just the school, right? Thanks for the link too! I'm going to go ahead and print that now.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

There's a website that I can't remember the name of, it had a paper that stated I was pulling so and so out and according to Oklahoma law whatever whatever and all that and I gave it to the principal and never took him back. I started this January and there's really no laws regulating it here. You have to notify them though if they've already started

chlippr77
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I'm in OK, too. All I did when I pulled my kids out April before last was send a notification to the superintendent and collect all their files. I think the school district we used to live in was notified prior to last year that they would be homeschooled because we had originally planned to enroll them in K12, but changed our minds. We have moved to another school district and we're still homeschooling. Haven't notified the new district at all.
Quoting gummibear:

I live in OK and you don't have to do anything. You go to the school and withdraw her and say you are going to homeschool. We are the only state that it is in our constitution to homeschool. You do not have to report to no-one. I would say keep some kind of record just incase. You do have to have 180 days but I just do it year round and keep lots of their work. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=OK

oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

hi mweddle, welcome!  lots of good advice!

heres a site that might help with homeschooling ideas, etc  http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/

Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Ok I am turning in my letter tomorrow.  That is all I have to do?  I am reading the website over and over and it seems like thats all I have to do but it seems like it would be harder than that.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Quoting Mweddle:

Quoting LilrockerMama:

LilrockerMama
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep that's it!

Quoting Mweddle:

Ok I am turning in my letter tomorrow.  That is all I have to do?  I am reading the website over and over and it seems like thats all I have to do but it seems like it would be harder than that.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Quoting Mweddle:

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN