Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you use for grammar??

Posted by   + Show Post

I am looking for suggestions for my 4th and 6th grader.  I am looking at some workbook options and also considering "A Journey Through Grammar."

What does everyone use?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Replies (11-17):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

We've used grammar gorillas for a couple years but I've never heard of the other site.  I'll check that out!  Thanks!

Quoting paganbaby:

We're trying Sentenceplay.co.uk and Grammar Gorillas.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Peace Hill looks good, but my little guy would not do well with that.

I try to stick to secular materials, but am not opposed to faith based programs as long as its not completely saturated. 

I'm looking at the 2011 Voyages in English by Loyola.  The program looks strong and solid.  Have you seen that?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hake is solid, traditional, and rigorous.

Peace Hill Press' "First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind" series is fantastic for the auditory learner - and very rigorous.

I'm also a fan of Seton's "English for Young Catholics" series... their books are modeled after the old (circa 1950's) Voyages in English. It's Catholic though - I don't know if that would bother you. It's also in worktext format (write in the book) and very affordable.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I don't care for the new one, but I know others who do.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Peace Hill looks good, but my little guy would not do well with that.

I try to stick to secular materials, but am not opposed to faith based programs as long as its not completely saturated. 

I'm looking at the 2011 Voyages in English by Loyola.  The program looks strong and solid.  Have you seen that?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hake is solid, traditional, and rigorous.

Peace Hill Press' "First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind" series is fantastic for the auditory learner - and very rigorous.

I'm also a fan of Seton's "English for Young Catholics" series... their books are modeled after the old (circa 1950's) Voyages in English. It's Catholic though - I don't know if that would bother you. It's also in worktext format (write in the book) and very affordable.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

To be honest, we're not doing grammar either. We get it a little here and there between spelling and writing, and just by constantly reading that I've never found it necessary...it becomes more fluff for us and wasted time. Our writing curriculum we use goes over grammar a little. It does say it is not a fully grammar program, and our spelling goes over grammar how it relates to spelling, and it says it is not a full grammar program, so between the two, I think it is being applied enough :/. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
We use dailygrammar.com (sorry it's not clicky, I'm on my iPad)...it's free online, but you can also order workbooks. I print out the lessons and have my kids do them in order, a couple a day...there are a ton of lessons if you click on archive. They are in depth enough to give a solid understanding, IMO, but simple enough to work for my kids in 5th and 6th grades...my 6th grader is up to lesson 40 and my 5th grader is at lesson 34 (at the end of this week). It's perfect for us, not too time consuming and they can do it mostly independently but we do talk about it some days, but it is making sure they understand the parts of speech. It's amazing how much they know naturally though! It's just good for them to be able to put it into words (like knowing that "my" is a pronoun and why).
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

i bought Ridgewood Grammar through EPS. I haven't started it yet. It looks pretty darn boring - LOL! But my ds is in 4th and I wasn't even going to try to start it till after the first of the year.

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/?subject=71S

The only reason I bought it is because I know a teacher who used "Rules of the Game" from EPS also and said he'd recommend that for me, but it starts in 5th grade and ds is in 4th...

Plus, I was ordering Spellwell and WordlyWise - I like both of those workbooks a lot - thru the same website so it consolidated shipping costs. AND< they made a mistake and sent me book 3 (I asked for book 2). So then then sent me book 2 free and said I could just keep book 3. So I got 2 years worth for the price of one!

I'm in the camp that if you read a lot, you'll mostly absorb correct grammar and punctuation. 

oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

i use rod and staff for those grades, and a journey thru grammar is pretty good i hear, a friend uses it. also the man who wrote the curr   was a public school  english teacher till he decided to hs(hes probably retired now! he was older than me), a very good english teacher, kids loved his classes, and he was the head of our homeschool group years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)