Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When your kids miss ps

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
My son only went to Kindergarten and is happy to be homeschooled, but today he had the ps blues. On the way back from a doctor's appointment we passed two schools who just so happened to be having PE outside at that time. He was particularly entraced by the Catholic school and pointed out they were all dressed the same and he wanted to dress like them and play games too. The rest of the way home he reminisced about fun activities he did in K. How do you handle that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilrockerMama
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I'm not any help, but if it makes you feel any better I'm dealing with the same thing with my son. I pulled him out of ps when he was in the middle of second grade. I just try to explain why I did it and what makes it better and that we can have lots of fun together and learn at the same time... Good luck!
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM

None of mine ever have had the public school blues, but I have a friend whose daughter has.  My friend mentioned how the blues went away after she started hanging out with us more because her daughter is good friends with mine.

So, the mom has tried to get her daughter into more homeschool co-op activities and out more with other children her age during the school week, her daughter no longer craves going back to public school.  It could be that your little guy is craving more interaction with other kids during his school day.  Is there any way you can school for a few hours in the park, or go once or twice a week go to a homeschool meet-up with other kids he can connect with?

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM
We already do meet-ups 2-3 times a week. He just finished up 2 months of practice for a musical at church that he was in. Maybe he's missing the friends he made there. When I told him practice for the Christmas concert begins soon he asked if the same kids will be there.

Quoting Knightquester:

None of mine ever have had the public school blues, but I have a friend whose daughter has.  My friend mentioned how the blues went away after she started hanging out with us more because her daughter is good friends with mine.

So, the mom has tried to get her daughter into more homeschool co-op activities and out more with other children her age during the school week, her daughter no longer craves going back to public school.  It could be that your little guy is craving more interaction with other kids during his school day.  Is there any way you can school for a few hours in the park, or go once or twice a week go to a homeschool meet-up with other kids he can connect with?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM

My kids mention that desire once in a while.   Then, on the flip side, they get excited they aren't in PS.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Acknowledge his feelings without making a big deal out of it: "Sounds like that was fun! Hey buddy - when we get home do you want to make a special treat together?"

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Does he have special activities or home school friends? I would talk about all the fun things you are able to do. Go to somewhere fun like a museum when everyone is in school. When we pass a bus we wave good bye and talk about the fun place we are going.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I'll have to remember this when my kids bring it up.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Acknowledge his feelings without making a big deal out of it: "Sounds like that was fun! Hey buddy - when we get home do you want to make a special treat together?"

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Yes to both. I haven't talked much about kids being in school while we are somewhere fun so I'll try that.

Quoting jen2150:

Does he have special activities or home school friends? I would talk about all the fun things you are able to do. Go to somewhere fun like a museum when everyone is in school. When we pass a bus we wave good bye and talk about the fun place we are going.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM
It doesn't hurt to remind him of the yucky things he didn't enjoy while there. Lol
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Be understanding about his feelings & let him know it is OK to miss things that he enjoyed. Then bring up the things that he gets to do now as a homeschooler that he loves & remind him that it is because he homeschools that he gets to do those things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN