Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not exactly homeschooling

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello! I just joined and introduced myself in the intro thread. My son is 5, 6 in December. He is in public school and loves it. But we always teach here at home. I always thought he was on track for what he knew but so far he is above what his school is teaching. All that aside, I have been trying to teach him to read. I was doing pretty good but now I feel like I am not doing so great. What did/do you use to help teach you kids to read?

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PurpleCupcake
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Letter sounds, sight words, dolcsh words, handwriting practice and read...read...read books at his level. Books he should be able to read in 10-15 minutes. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
What makes you think you are not doing so great? Reading takes a long time for some kids. Be patient. I admire you for taking the time to be do involved. I created an environment that made him want to learn. I made sure he saw me reading. I read to them constantly. I make up games we play together. I love the website looney tunes phonics. It is an online phonics lessons. I also used the reading rods books. I love practicing words using the rods. It made learning very hands on. Make it fun and relaxed and he will pick it up. One day he will just start. Good luck.
jnich4
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM
We read all the time. I just made up flash cards of the words in some of his books that he has trouble with. "The" is one. But simple things like that. I was thinking of making a short story with him from he flash card words.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Letter sounds, sight words, dolcsh words, handwriting practice and read...read...read books at his level. Books he should be able to read in 10-15 minutes. 

jnich4
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I dont know. I just feel like i reached that point that i need more help to help him. If that makes sense. He tries to read. And he and i read all the time. Years ago we got him the tag reader and he loves it. Knows one book probably from listening to it so much.

Quoting jen2150:

What makes you think you are not doing so great? Reading takes a long time for some kids. Be patient. I admire you for taking the time to be do involved. I created an environment that made him want to learn. I made sure he saw me reading. I read to them constantly. I make up games we play together. I love the website looney tunes phonics. It is an online phonics lessons. I also used the reading rods books. I love practicing words using the rods. It made learning very hands on. Make it fun and relaxed and he will pick it up. One day he will just start. Good luck.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Cheap?

Leapfrog Letter Factory for letter sounds, then Phonics Pathways for the rest of phonics (you can buy PP used, on Amazon, 9th edition instead of 10th, for around $10).

Spendy?

All About Reading (pre-level if he doesn't know his letter sounds, to read left to right, etc; level 1 if he knows those things)

And some kids simply take longer than others to read. No big. Most kids are great at some things - but nobody wants a jack of all trades, master of none. He'll get there.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Phonics (sounding out letters) and sight words (those high frequency words that don't really sound like they are spelled.    

Hit these heavy, and just keep reading books together.   

Be careful when doing phonics because you have to pronounce JUST the letter sound and not "uh" with it.   Like "D" doesn't say DUH...   I have to catch myself sometimes when we are trying to sound out works because she's like...  "DUH og" (for dog)...   Also, review the sounds in the word, and then sound them out quickly.

Work on beginning sounds... ending sounds... and then middle sounds... like  T E N...   ten...   what is the ending sound of ten... "n"...   make sure they just say the SOUND "nnnn" and not letter N or something.   Work on JUST the sounds, not the letter names.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

oh, and he should be getting sight words in school, you could ask the teacher for a complete list of their site words.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

That's a great idea!

Quoting jnich4:

We read all the time. I just made up flash cards of the words in some of his books that he has trouble with. "The" is one. But simple things like that. I was thinking of making a short story with him from he flash card words.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM
He is only 5. He has plenty of time. My oldest was reading at a 3rd grade level at 6. My youngest is turning 10 and January and just started reading on his own. Reading has a huge age gap. I had the same feelings with my first. He caught on quickly and still was wondering where I was going wrong. I relaxed, stop worrying and it just happened when the time was right. Keep trying different things. Keep reading, play reading games, try programs you both like and it will happen.
Quoting jnich4:

I dont know. I just feel like i reached that point that i need more help to help him. If that makes sense. He tries to read. And he and i read all the time. Years ago we got him the tag reader and he loves it. Knows one book probably from listening to it so much.

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN