Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's another one of "those" days....

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, so it's 1:30 about...

My 11 yr old did a small amount of math work, an even smaller amount of English.   Work that if I sat down and took my time at, I would be done in about 30-40 minutes tops.   

She started working at 9 am.... I keep feeling like I'm cattle prodding her along.   It was 1:00 and I made her give ME a break and take her little sister outside for a bit while I made (a late) lunch and got baby down for a nap.

I've tried everything, but at 11, she has to have her hand held and me teaching her everything.  If she has to make an effort on her own... it just doesn't get done.   No matter what I do.   Discipline to rewards, timers to responsibility charts... etc.

Everything works once or twice and then she hates whatever the proceedure is and refuses to do it.

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I'm having that lately with my 12 yo with a few things.  Today has been one of them.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I started making my daughter do hard chores when she gets like that. By "hard" I mean cleaning all bathrooms, cleaning the inside of the fridge, windows, blinds and any other deep cleaning that needs to be done.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM

She is grounded right now as it is.   Grounding only matters if we take EVERYTHING away and make her work instead.   Otherwise, she would be happy as a lark being grounded to her room to be able to read or sew or something.

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I started making my daughter do hard chores when she gets like that. By "hard" I mean cleaning all bathrooms, cleaning the inside of the fridge, windows, blinds and any other deep cleaning that needs to be done.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

We have been having one of those weeks! With me bruising up the left side of my left foot & being in near constant pain. My DD 10 is having problems falling asleep & then not able to stay asleep & she keeps coming to me so that means both of us are sleep deprived. Both of my younger children eat like birds & so are on the verge of hunger all the time so if they won't eat first thing in the morning you are going to get hunger anger from both of them. Both of my sons  have Autism & are very easily agitated by others moods & emotions. And the cherry on top is I am PMSing!

I need a vacation!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I was thinking I was the only one having that day.  :(  It's swimming lessons day, to boot, and I had to go downstairs to my husband's office and ask him to take the little darlings.  It's not that I couldn't, and I felt hugely guilty for asking, but I need to have a break.  I just need some quiet.  I need some time away from the hubbub.

My 10yo gets like that.  Somedays I just let it all go.  Hey, you don't care, I don't care, but I'm changing the locks when you hit 18 and you'd better hope you can support yourself.  Other days I'm kinder and he gets hounded.  :)  Good luck with it!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Oh you poor thing!

Quoting usmom3:

We have been having one of those weeks! With me bruising up the left side of my left foot & being in near constant pain. My DD 10 is having problems falling asleep & then not able to stay asleep & she keeps coming to me so that means both of us are sleep deprived. Both of my younger children eat like birds & so are on the verge of hunger all the time so if they won't eat first thing in the morning you are going to get hunger anger from both of them. Both of my sons  have Autism & are very easily agitated by others moods & emotions. And the cherry on top is I am PMSing!

I need a vacation!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I'm having fun,lol. It seems like all our doc appts are this week, then dd won't wake up on time. I get her up at 9 but she won't get out of bed until I drag her out at ten. She's no good to anyone until she's had a shower and coffee, so that takes more time. 

Getting this schedule down is hard!

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I had mine take stuff with us while we sat at urgent care waiting for Daddy to get checked over.  He took a pretty hard fall at speed practice last night and we were concerned about broken ribs.  He's fine and only has a bruised chest wall....only...he is frickin baby.  LOL  My oldest is 7 1/2 and gave me attitude when she pulled out a coloring book instead of the work she needed to do and was corrected.  She needed to work on multiplication facts or her state project.  I don't mind coloring but we need to get the important stuff done first.  Finally got it done, but it was a struggle.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Will it ever get better? I feel like every day is a struggle right now. Out of 17 days we have done school, 14 of them have been a great struggle. I am holding onto the hope that it will get better!
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

We had one of those today too......I had a midwife appt (which all the kids came to with me, oh joy!) then I had to take the kids to their ped's office for flu shots.  By the time we got home and had lunch, I was exhausted.  We did a little reading and some science and I said enough.  I went and sent the boys upstairs to play and took about a 20 minute nap.  I rarely do that, but I needed it today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN