Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

FLVS/Connexus Kindy help

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
Backstory- DD is 5 and in Kindy. She was in private vpk (we're in FLorida) last year and did fabulous at school with her teachers but at home she was complete hell. I have tried during the summer to get her to work on her reading and writing. Now to my situation. I can't afford to put her in public school, which was one of my main reasons for homeschooling. We do online school, and here's my problem. She absolutely refuses to do her work. Reading and writing are the worst. She screams and yells, pouts, and will REFUSE to do anything. With the connexus program she has to turn in her work daily. Is there a way for me to unschool her, pull her out of the program and make my own curriculum? I don't know where to start or how that would work in my state as she's enrolled already in the FLVS. I emailed her homeroom teacher 3x today about 3 different things and the only response I got back was about her attendance from when she was sick. I'm at my wits end and so frustrated. I don't want to push but she HAS to do the work they give her.
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Look up your state laws! It might be tricky depending on the laws but I am under the impression that unschooling is doable in all 50 states.

flcowgrl23
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

They were kind of confusing.

I got my gf to help, I think what we'll do is file a letter of intent with the super then I'm going to start her on easy peasy.

Quoting usmom3:

Look up your state laws! It might be tricky depending on the laws but I am under the impression that unschooling is doable in all 50 states.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Yeah, I think they make them confusing on purpose.

That sounds like a good plan. Just remember if it is fun it will hold her attention better!

Quoting flcowgrl23:

I got my gf to help, I think what we'll do is file a letter of intent with the super then I'm going to start her on easy peasy.

Quoting usmom3:

flcowgrl23
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Ok so I was just told that because she won't be 6 until June I don't have to enroll her ANYWHERE.  

Which means I can take this year and get her core skills mastered.  

YES!!!

Quoting usmom3:

That sounds like a good plan. Just remember if it is fun it will hold her attention better!

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM

That is awesome!

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Ok so I was just told that because she won't be 6 until June I don't have to enroll her ANYWHERE.  

Which means I can take this year and get her core skills mastered.  

YES!!!

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting flcowgrl23:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)