Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long did you deschool if you had kids in public school...

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is in 5th grade. My plan is to pull her out in about 3 weeks. I won't be officially homeschooling her until around January. She will be spending her time at her grandmothers house throughout the day until I cut back my hrs at work.

In the mean time I will be letting her just relax and do what comes natural to her. She wants to check out books at the library about training her dog - study training methods, the characteristics of her dogs breed etc. She is a huge animal lover. As time goes by I figured I will just encourage her to keep checking out books that interest her and just let her follow her interests.

Is 4 months too long to just "wing it". In the other post one of you lovely women provoded me with a link to deschooling - it reccomended 1 month for every year she has been in school. So I'm thinking this time frame is appropriate.

Thoughts?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Yes!! This was kind of my thinking...having her do work but not making it really seem like work. Maybe making pie charts or graphs of info she collects...turning them into fractions and percentages. Even just practicing with taking notes and collecting data. She struggles with organization and I'd like to work on that as well. I also wanted to do some cooking with her for math purposes.

Quoting coala:

We didn't "deschool" but kind of let Summer happen and a vacation.  I let her settle in for a few days once back from vacation...I didn't go, but Daddy took them on a trip.  We then started in.

Can you come up with a few creative projects that she can do related to learning about dog training...or whatever she may be interested in.  I have been "deschooling or unschooling" for the last few months and my girls are really enjoying this stuff.  I guided their interest in wanting to learn about the states into this awesome lapbook that they are really into at the moment.  I also make them read for 30 min or more in a book of their choice and do some age and level appropriate math.  They are commig along.  I have one working on multiplication and my youngest is working on sbutraction...she has figured out addition (with counters still but understands the concept), so we moved on.  I am hoping by Christmas they both have their facts down and can just rattle them off.  When my oldest figures out the multiplication we will move onto division. (kind of a ramble)

Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM

We visit our neurologist next Tuesday. She had a big test done over the summer. It is suppose to tell me what she is struggling with, how she learns best, give me suggestion for learning. Basically what you would use to draw up an iep plan for school. I'm thinking this will help me alot. I'll also be asking them if they have any contacts in their network for tutoring or classes that may be beneficial to her - and who knows, maybe even be covered by our insurance!!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

If you feel she didn't pass grade 4, but has had obvious exposure to the material, you may be able to do what needs to be done in just the one semester. I would suggest you find out everything you can about her struggles, strengths, and weaknesses in the meantime, before ordering any materials.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Well, in all honesty, I am very skeptical about weather she really passed 4th grade or not. I'm thinking she didn't - with the grades I saw come home I'm really just not sure how it was possible. I think they just pushed her through. So when I do put a curriculum together for her I feel like I want to go back and start at 4th grade again - if it takes a year to get through, so what. If it takes 2 months - great.

This is one of my main reasons for homeschooling too is I don't want her getting pushed through again and ending up in 6th grade with a 3rd or 4th grade set of knowledge.

I'm in NJ and from all that I'm reading it looks like there is no state testing that she's required to take or a set curriculum to follow...although I could be misunderstanding....

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not one who deschooled. Autumn only "deschooled" after I pulled her for as long as it took me to order her curriculum and put together some lesson plans (a few weeks, tops)... given, it was shortly before summer vacation too, so maybe that could be considered "deschooling", lol.

My only concern would be if you want her to move on to the next grade level when other children her age/grade do. Taking October-January off, would essentially be taking an entire semester off.

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I don't think 4 months is too long. Remember she will still be learning during the 4 months. You said it yourself... she will be going to the library to study dog training (reading, writing, cause and effect, science of canine knowledge, etc etc etc). That's learning in my book. Please understand that I am not a 'traditional' homeschool mom. Most of our schoolwork is child-led.
Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I would love any info you have, links to articles, blogs etc. I feel like this is the direction I want to go in. I am very interested in child-led learning. I want her to discover who she is and what she loves. I want to learn along with her and encourage her.

Luckily my fiancee agrees and we are very much on the same page as far as this goes. I haven't really discussed this much with any other family members as I'm sure I'll have much explaining to do.

Quoting ambertreas76:

I don't think 4 months is too long. Remember she will still be learning during the 4 months. You said it yourself... she will be going to the library to study dog training (reading, writing, cause and effect, science of canine knowledge, etc etc etc). That's learning in my book. Please understand that I am not a 'traditional' homeschool mom. Most of our schoolwork is child-led.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

When I pulled my daughter out of first grade, it just so happened to be at semester, so we deschooled for the rest of the year, just learning about what she wanted to, but also focused on catching her back up in reading and math since she degressed while at school.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I pulled my oldest from PS when he was half way through 6TH grade. We deschooled for 5 months but I wish we had done it for longer. he had spent 7 1/2 years in PS (including 1 year of pre-k & 1 year of kinder). So we should have gone 2 1/2 months longer.

I suggest if you can let her take the full month for every year she was in PS including pre-k & kinder years.

oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

3 or 4 months sounds good to me charlene, during this time its a good idea to watch and see how she learns, what interests her, and go from there!(just read your intro and it sounds like you already know how she learns and stuff!) gather any info you need to homeschool, they also might even have a homeschool group you can join if you want(more help) in your town,

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM
It's really just something I stumbled upon. If you google 'eclectic homeschool', you will find lots of info. My son is dyslexic and borderline ADHD so child-led learning is the best way for us. We do not work off of a dictated curriculum, rather we 'scavenge' for things to make him WANT to learn. Hes 5 and is 2nd grade level across the board.. except for physics... he's junior high school level. And only because he is learning what/how his mind WANTS to learn.

Quoting Decemberlov:

I would love any info you have, links to articles, blogs etc. I feel like this is the direction I want to go in. I am very interested in child-led learning. I want her to discover who she is and what she loves. I want to learn along with her and encourage her.

Luckily my fiancee agrees and we are very much on the same page as far as this goes. I haven't really discussed this much with any other family members as I'm sure I'll have much explaining to do.

Quoting ambertreas76:

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Cooking....baking rather is more like chemistry (sciene)...there is so much "life" you can incorporate into your day that she will be learning with out realizing that she is "learning".  My girls like to play with a set of Roger's Connection Magnets.  They don't realize they are learning Geometry and Physics while doing this, but they are learning while playing.  We had to buy an extra set b/c we just didn't have enough pieces to go around to make decent sized projects (I already need to buy more b/c we still don't have enough...especially when Daddy sits down to play with them).  Let her take the lead and you learn from her at the moment.  Focus on how she learns, what she already knows and what she wants to learn.  By doing this you are going to save yourself so much heartache and frustration.  I wish you luck with your journey.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Yes!! This was kind of my thinking...having her do work but not making it really seem like work. Maybe making pie charts or graphs of info she collects...turning them into fractions and percentages. Even just practicing with taking notes and collecting data. She struggles with organization and I'd like to work on that as well. I also wanted to do some cooking with her for math purposes.

Quoting coala:

We didn't "deschool" but kind of let Summer happen and a vacation.  I let her settle in for a few days once back from vacation...I didn't go, but Daddy took them on a trip.  We then started in.

Can you come up with a few creative projects that she can do related to learning about dog training...or whatever she may be interested in.  I have been "deschooling or unschooling" for the last few months and my girls are really enjoying this stuff.  I guided their interest in wanting to learn about the states into this awesome lapbook that they are really into at the moment.  I also make them read for 30 min or more in a book of their choice and do some age and level appropriate math.  They are commig along.  I have one working on multiplication and my youngest is working on sbutraction...she has figured out addition (with counters still but understands the concept), so we moved on.  I am hoping by Christmas they both have their facts down and can just rattle them off.  When my oldest figures out the multiplication we will move onto division. (kind of a ramble)

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I just wanted to add that it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.  The only thing that matters is you know whats best for your DD.  If you don't want to tell them and let them discover on their own...and in that process they will see how far she has come.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Quoting ambertreas76:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN