Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How long did you deschool if you had kids in public school...

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is in 5th grade. My plan is to pull her out in about 3 weeks. I won't be officially homeschooling her until around January. She will be spending her time at her grandmothers house throughout the day until I cut back my hrs at work.

In the mean time I will be letting her just relax and do what comes natural to her. She wants to check out books at the library about training her dog - study training methods, the characteristics of her dogs breed etc. She is a huge animal lover. As time goes by I figured I will just encourage her to keep checking out books that interest her and just let her follow her interests.

Is 4 months too long to just "wing it". In the other post one of you lovely women provoded me with a link to deschooling - it reccomended 1 month for every year she has been in school. So I'm thinking this time frame is appropriate.

Thoughts?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Replies (21-28):
Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM
thank you all so much! you are all so helpful and I can only imagine what wonderful mothers and teachers you all are.

sorry if I seem to be posting repetitive posts...i think im still in the process if convincing myself that we can do this successfully..and maybe the best way to do so is to jump in head first and let the natural current take us where it may :)
dedicatedrider
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I have a large collection of links on the topic of "unschooling", If those might interest you. I could share the links once I am back on the computer, I'm mobile at the moment.
Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
I would love that. thank you.

Quoting dedicatedrider:

I have a large collection of links on the topic of "unschooling", If those might interest you. I could share the links once I am back on the computer, I'm mobile at the moment.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I'd recommend audio books to get her interested in reading above her level. Besides, a lot of the 3rd/4th grade level novels can be kind of dull or boring. My begining-4th grade twins just got into 5th grade level stuff, even though it's a tad difficult for their reading level, but they are dying to read the books because the themes are more intereting!

I find audio books free on youtube. Lots of people apparently just upload an entire audio book! Which is great since my library doesn't have a ton of audio books.

It'd be great if she can read along with the actual book. But even if she just listens, I think it counts toward improving vocab, comprehension, interest etc.

Oh, and I'm afraid to actually deschool or unschool, but I am very relaxed and consider lots of things "count" as school. I'd probably require some math websites and games and consider that school. I"m the type who'd make my kids do something off the beaten path like how to knit or make a quilt or take an art class. I personally can't get on board with doing nothing, ya know?

Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yes, I know what you mean about the not doing anything thing. I tink we can find plenty to do that would keep her busy and still encourage learning. I asked what she would learn if it were up to her - she keeps talking about art. She loves art! She said she was really interested in graffiti - and who the heck thought that could be educational but a quick google search and I found these coloring pages:

It just goes to show that you can turn almost anything into a learning experience!!

We're very close to Philly - about 15 mins and I could take her there to see graffiti and they have so many wall murals - many historically and politically influenced.

The audio books are a good suggestion - her head tic makes it a little difficult to keep her spot in a book and focus and reading along with an audio may be super helpful!!

Quoting Chasing3:

I'd recommend audio books to get her interested in reading above her level. Besides, a lot of the 3rd/4th grade level novels can be kind of dull or boring. My begining-4th grade twins just got into 5th grade level stuff, even though it's a tad difficult for their reading level, but they are dying to read the books because the themes are more intereting!

I find audio books free on youtube. Lots of people apparently just upload an entire audio book! Which is great since my library doesn't have a ton of audio books.

It'd be great if she can read along with the actual book. But even if she just listens, I think it counts toward improving vocab, comprehension, interest etc.

Oh, and I'm afraid to actually deschool or unschool, but I am very relaxed and consider lots of things "count" as school. I'd probably require some math websites and games and consider that school. I"m the type who'd make my kids do something off the beaten path like how to knit or make a quilt or take an art class. I personally can't get on board with doing nothing, ya know?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

awesome on the art! I have a BFA in graphic design from Parsons School of Design - I bought my kids a book on calligraphy, another one on hand-lettering, and I have a ton of typography books from way back when I was gainfully employed. I am planning on teaching them InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop at some point too. Maybe your daughter would be into that?

(fyi, a homeschool approval letter from your district will let you buy Adobe software at the student dicsount - which is a significant savings!!)

Quoting Decemberlov:

Yes, I know what you mean about the not doing anything thing. I tink we can find plenty to do that would keep her busy and still encourage learning. I asked what she would learn if it were up to her - she keeps talking about art. She loves art! She said she was really interested in graffiti - and who the heck thought that could be educational but a quick google search and I found these coloring pages:

It just goes to show that you can turn almost anything into a learning experience!!

We're very close to Philly - about 15 mins and I could take her there to see graffiti and they have so many wall murals - many historically and politically influenced.

The audio books are a good suggestion - her head tic makes it a little difficult to keep her spot in a book and focus and reading along with an audio may be super helpful!!

Decemberlov
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I attended the Art Institute of Philadelphia for graphic design!! I now work managing a printing company. I also have a typography book that I plan on showing my daughter. She said to me last night - "wouldn't it be cool if there were cursive numbers? I bet I can make my own!" That got us talking about fonts and I shared with her some things from my typography class. I actual have the book "The Complete Typographer" on my desk as I type this!

Thanks for the tip on the Adobe suite student discount :)

I've been thinking about doing some freelance work myself to bring in some extra money after cutting down my hrs at work.

Quoting Chasing3:

awesome on the art! I have a BFA in graphic design from Parsons School of Design - I bought my kids a book on calligraphy, another one on hand-lettering, and I have a ton of typography books from way back when I was gainfully employed. I am planning on teaching them InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop at some point too. Maybe your daughter would be into that?

(fyi, a homeschool approval letter from your district will let you buy Adobe software at the student dicsount - which is a significant savings!!)

Quoting Decemberlov:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)