Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you done any lapbooks? Come in here and share your ideas and pics!

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm considering doing some lapbooking with my 4th grader.  He's a hands on learner so it might be a good fit.  I'm interested in what kind of ideas everyone has. 

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't have pictures...but we are doing a large lapbook...I am using a 1 subject notebook for this project.  We are studying the 50 states.  I have 1 page dedicated to each state.  I want them to write down the region, name of the state, capital, state bird, state flower, major crop, statehood (when it became a state and what number it is), a fun fact, and draw a picture that is representative of something about the state (this could be a picture of the flag, bird, flower, a mountain, anything that helps them remember that state).  They are about halfway done and we have been at this for a little over 3 weeks.  There are still pages at the end of notebook so I think we may cover some landmarks like the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, maybe some major rivers, mountain ranges...we'll figure it out when we get there.

This is the 1st time we have done anything like this.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Is that lapbooking or notebooking?  I'm not sure I'm into the lapbooking, have done it with a couple things.  But I like this one subject notebook idea for the states that you're doing.

I did a lapbook with my Tiger Scouts last week to earn their Bobcat.  I liked it, but it may have been a bit much for the crowd.

Quoting coala:

I don't have pictures...but we are doing a large lapbook...I am using a 1 subject notebook for this project.  We are studying the 50 states.  I have 1 page dedicated to each state.  I want them to write down the region, name of the state, capital, state bird, state flower, major crop, statehood (when it became a state and what number it is), a fun fact, and draw a picture that is representative of something about the state (this could be a picture of the flag, bird, flower, a mountain, anything that helps them remember that state).  They are about halfway done and we have been at this for a little over 3 weeks.  There are still pages at the end of notebook so I think we may cover some landmarks like the Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, maybe some major rivers, mountain ranges...we'll figure it out when we get there.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I wanted to do a lapbook for this project but when I started looking into it I would have 50 different lap books...I though that may be a bit much to mail to grandparents when they are done.  If we were doing something like the solar system or anything smaller a lapbook would have been amazing.  I got a bunch of books from an ex-homeschool mom and there was a whole book in there on learning to lapbook.  I knew I wanted to do this project, but just wasn't quite sure how to bring it about until I started going through that book.

Quoting hwblyf:

Is that lapbooking or notebooking?  I'm not sure I'm into the lapbooking, have done it with a couple things.  But I like this one subject notebook idea for the states that you're doing.

I did a lapbook with my Tiger Scouts last week to earn their Bobcat.  I liked it, but it may have been a bit much for the crowd.

Quoting coala:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

What was the book?  Maybe I should look into it.

Quoting coala:

I wanted to do a lapbook for this project but when I started looking into it I would have 50 different lap books...I though that may be a bit much to mail to grandparents when they are done.  If we were doing something like the solar system or anything smaller a lapbook would have been amazing.  I got a bunch of books from an ex-homeschool mom and there was a whole book in there on learning to lapbook.  I knew I wanted to do this project, but just wasn't quite sure how to bring it about until I started going through that book.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting coala:

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook by Tammy Duby and Cyndy Regeling.  I think they both have other books that they have written as well.  Both were teachers before they homeschooled.  I found this book super informative.

Quoting hwblyf:

What was the book?  Maybe I should look into it.

Quoting coala:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting coala:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Ouch--that one is pricey on Amazon!  I wonder about some of the others on Amazon, though.

Quoting coala:

The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook by Tammy Duby and Cyndy Regeling.  I think they both have other books that they have written as well.  Both were teachers before they homeschooled.  I found this book super informative.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't aware of the cost as it was given to me. I can give you a few ideas of the basics when I get back.  We've got a playdate that we are heading to now.

Quoting hwblyf:

Ouch--that one is pricey on Amazon!  I wonder about some of the others on Amazon, though.

Quoting coala:

Jlee4249
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, that's crooked.  Sorry.  This is our version of lapbooking-meets-notebooking.  I'd rather put her stuff into a binder to keep from having to store all those lapbooks.  
This is from her "world book" We started with the continents, seen here, and then move onto individual countries, one a month (and one state a month).
The large brown spot was supposed to be sand, but we didn't have any, so we glued dirt to represent the Sahara Desert.  It doesn't show well in the pic, but there's green glitter marking the rain forests and gold glitter marking the Savannah.  The animal flaps have more stickers of the animals underneath and the hump of the camel has camel fun facts written underneath as well.
We've found all the longest, deepest, oldest, tallest, etc of world records that we could for each continent.  It was fun.  I even learned a lot.  With all the gluing and glitter, my dd has retained a lot of the information. 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Quoting Jlee4249:

Well, that's crooked.  Sorry.  This is our version of lapbooking-meets-notebooking.  I'd rather put her stuff into a binder to keep from having to store all those lapbooks.  This is from her "world book" We started with the continents, seen here, and then move onto individual countries, one a month (and one state a month).The large brown spot was supposed to be sand, but we didn't have any, so we glued dirt to represent the Sahara Desert.  It doesn't show well in the pic, but there's green glitter marking the rain forests and gold glitter marking the Savannah.  The animal flaps have more stickers of the animals underneath and the hump of the camel has camel fun facts written underneath as well. We've found all the longest, deepest, oldest, tallest, etc of world records that we could for each continent.  It was fun.  I even learned a lot.  With all the gluing and glitter, my dd has retained a lot of the information. 

I love this idea! Beautiful work. What age was your student when you did this?
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

We tried our first lapbook last week - on the civil war. I know the CW is a huuuuge topic but we have 1st and 2nd graders along with our 5th grader so we condensed it a bit - oldest studied it for a week, then we spent a second week all together and making lapbooks. I really don't know if we did it right or if you even can do it wrong... it was okay. It seemed like a lot of prep work for me to print things out and decide what was going into it. After the 2nd or 3rd day I let them think of some questions and we looked up the answers, then they made a way to put that info into their lapbooks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN