Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need help!

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 62 Replies

I'm in Lakewood Ohio, and I am totally confused about how to handle this. I am new at homeschooling, I pulled my autistic son out in the middle of kindergarten to homeschool. I was not informed about any testing that needed to be done in subsequent years. I am new at this, and didn't even know to LOOK for that. I don't know any other homeschoolers, (I am working on that) and have not even had internet for the last 2 months. I just got back online and submitted my request to homeschool for my sons first grade year. The superintendent denied me and at first refused to tell me why. Finally he tells me I need to pay and have a private person test my son and turn that into the school. I don't have ANY money to pay even $1 for someone to come test him. So I tell the superintendent that and I get stonewalled and responses like this:

"An individual is free to choose all aspects of a child’s education when obtaining an exemption from compulsory school attendance for the purpose of “home education”. We can provide no resources for you. I can only recommend that you seek out other home schoolers for guidance. Since I am not permitted to release this information to you, I can only suggest that you contact the Lakewood Public Library in that some home schooling parents frequent the library for the purpose of home schooling; or search the internet for information about home schooling advocacy groups for assistance."

I tell him I feel like he is bullying me and preventing me from complying and he sends me something that says in part: "(C) If the parent(s) chooses to have the standardized testing conducted as part of the school district scheduled testing program, there shall be no cost to the parent(s). The time and location for testing shall be established by the school district. " But absolutely REFUSES to tell me when or where the testing is or how I can get my son tested. I don't know what to do. He left the office and told me he won't be reachable till Monday in the middle of our conversation. I feel like he is trying to force me to put my son back in public school. Can you please help?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Do you know & understand the laws for your state? I think we have some Moms that can help you out, I am in Texas & our laws are very different from yours!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Im not in your state either but several moms in this group are so just sit tight and hopefully they can help you. In the mean time search yahoo groups for any local homeschooling groups. Educating yourself fully on the laws is the first and most important step.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Have you pointed out to him what your paper says about the child being able to test with the school?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Google "sttate of ___homeschooling laws" go to HSLDA.org and see what they say for your state.

Then call the asshat back and inform him of what you are going to do.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

well, he's a public eduction bureaucrat, so I doubt he knows a thing about homeschooling. I think he sounds as reasonable as one can expect and his advice to seek out fellow homeschoolers is very sound. 

Definately find other homeschoolers in your area and seek out their advice. They are your best resource.

Homeschooling is unlikely to be free. You will have some expenses, and a test is a rather low expense. Some companies will deliver the test to your door, you take it, you send it back, they send you the score all for a low fee of $25.

I am somewhat surprised they require testing of a kindergartner. A quick google search of "ohio standardized test" revealed to me that they don't even start testing kids until 3rd grade. So, looks like you are off the hook for a few years!

I'd first try to get advice from people you can find who are homeschooling. If I couldn't find people, I'd re-submit your home education plan and write on there, "We choose to have the standardized testing conducted as part of the school district scheduled testing program, at no cost to the parent(s). The time and location for testing shall be established by the school district. Currently, the Ohio Achievement Assessments commence in third grade. We will anticipate the district to provide the time and location for the appropriate testing in 2017 when our son will be at the third grade level."

In the mean time, you may want to consult with a doctor or therapist to evaluate the severity of your son's autism and find out if you qualify for testing accomodations. I am sure a doctor or therapist letter will suffice. I'd start by googling "testing accomodations for children with autism" and plan to get in place anything and everything that seems necessary for your son.

good luck!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

more:

http://ohio3-8.success-ode-state-oh-us.info

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/School-Choice/Home-Schooling

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3301-34

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I realize you say you don't have a single dollar to put toward this, but if you can come up with it, it's very much worth it to join HSLDA (I think it's like $150 yearly... don't quote me)...  Stands for HomeSchool Legal Defense Assoc..

Since you cannot join the above right now, you will have to read and learn the code/laws about homeschooling in Ohio yourself.

You can search Ohio Homeschool laws.. and several links will pop up.   Read through them for information.  

Also, google Lakewood Ohio Homeschool groups.   I cannot google this because it doesn't allow me to copy/paste stuff in here, so I can't do the legwork for you.

However, there is a website you might like..  OHEN (Ohio Home Educators Network).. it has info and forms on it for how to deal with beginning homeschooling.

Biggest suggestion is to not give them more info than they request.

oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM
sweetaspie630
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I've looked up what I could understand (some sites have so much legal speak I couldn't understand what the heck they were talking about) and it seems that in Ohio to be approved to homeschool, you have to send an assessment in to the superintendent each year. At first he didn't even tell me that I could do standardized testing, he sent me a rude email just telling me I was denied and he couldn't tell me why unless I agreed to meet with him.

Then he admitted I needed an assessment, but I had to pay for it.  After a bunch of back and forth he finally told me that they can provide no resources for me. I pushed and said that it says I can do standardized testing at no cost, and he LIED and claimed he sent me out info in MARCH on standardized testing. He didn't.  Then he just said he was out of the office until Monday and that I would have to wait to talk to him anymore till then.

I never heard of having to pay for an assessment every single year for my kid, and Lakewood doesn't even do standardized testing until 3rd grade, so I am not sure how to afford an assessment, or even who to get one from. Lakewood is picky on who they will approve. And I can tell this guy is going to be a jerk about it.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you know & understand the laws for your state? I think we have some Moms that can help you out, I am in Texas & our laws are very different from yours!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm here in Ohio. 8) Down by Columbus.You're up near Cleveland?

You have another option besides testing. It's called an assessment. I highly recommend it. It has to be done by a person with a teaching certificate for Ohio BUT they don't have to be a teacher as of now. There are plenty of people that meet this qualification.

I suggest you join yahoo groups and send out an email in one of the Ohio groups. They can direct you to an assessor. I pay about 40bucks for mine but in your particular position you might be able to find someone to do it pro bono or on a payment plan.

Have you sent in your letter of Intent? Your curriculum and material outline? These sound scary but they aren't. It's very simple when you know what to do.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)