Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Want to pull my son....feeling very overwhelmed about curriculum

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 20 Replies

He is 7 1/2 in second grade. He has adhd and cmt1a. While I thought the school was being accommodating and helpful at first I am starting to get attitude and not understanding. I've always wanted to homeschool but got so much pushback from family I went against my better judgement and sent him. 

For those of you who don't know CMT is a progressive neurological disorder that makes it difficult for him to do certain things physically. He is in therapy 3x a week. Writing tasks are difficult as he doesn't have normal muscle strength in his hands. He needs a grotto grip to help and extra time. The kids in class keep taking his grip so he's been told that he needs to take it home with him every night and he can bring it back in the morning. He also is not supposed to push it physically. In PE he can only run so many laps and the teacher has been informed if that. Since then they have chosen to not run laps at all. This has been good. Thank you. Now they do other activities. The problem we have been having since is that if my son has to stop....if it's gotten to be too much...the teacher makes the whole class start over again.

So nothing too major happening. Just some frustration. I've asked for a 504 and an IEP but was told he didn't qualify for the IEP. I got his midterm report yesterday and my once above grade level reader is below grade level. He was also below in math as well. Idk what going on but I'm not too happy right now. 

I am trying to do my research and put some things together because I know the time is coming. I just am not good with lesson planning and all of that. Are there any curriculum or sets that already have lesson plans made? I just wouldn't know where to start. Can anyone suggest anything? I've read about abeka, Saxon or sunlight for math and apologia for science? 

Thanks in advance

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this

He doesn't have an iep? That's crazy! He is allowed to be bullied by students and teachers? No thanks...I would pull him immediately. 

First things first...

What state do you live in (laws differ from state to state)

Do you want religious or non religious curriculum?

Are you on a budget?

How does your child learn best? What is his learning style?

Do you want to teach traditionally, or unschool, or somewhere in between?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM

If you are OK with Christian curriculum, the one year, "Adventures" in the program "My Father's World."  Looks like so much fun.   My kids were a tad older when I discovered it, so we went with the next step and never did the adventures level.  It was really terrific, but I soooo wish I would have went with adventures instead just because of how fun it looked.

Add in some math and maybe a fun/easy handwriting program.   Draw Write Now is fun if your child likes to draw.   If he has phonics down, then just read a TON... if he needs help with some more phonics practice, then pick up a phonics program.   Madlibs are fun for practicing parts of speech (grammar)... 

For math, my kids found Saxon to be gruelling.   Easy enough to follow and understandable and very, VERY good acadmics.   However, mine have switched to Math U See this year, and we love it.

Apologia science IS fun... but I'd do MFW adventures this year and start Apologia next year if it were me... not for any specific reason, just because.    MFW gives you your Science, Social Studies, Bible, art, reading, etc.. all in one set and there's a well-planned out teachers guide.   You look ahead to make sure you have all the supplies needed, go to the library to get extra books that follow your topic, and then just pick it up and follow it and teach it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What she said!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

He doesn't have an iep? That's crazy! He is allowed to be bullied by students and teachers? No thanks...I would pull him immediately. 

First things first...

Are you on a budget?

Codysmom2106
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

They said he qualifies for the 504 because of his cmt but "he's doing fine academically" so he doesn't qualify for an IEP. Grrrr. Yet he's below grade level in math and reading do far. Ugh! I think he should have one but that just me. We live in NC. I've started my research on the laws and requirements. Here's what I've found so far:

i don't really have a budget per se. I don't want to spend thousands lol but I think $500-600 for the year is what I've been seeing.

im having a hard time with his learning style. He has some visual processing problems. After doing some reading I'd say he is a combination of an auditory and ki esthetic learner. He seems to fit in with things from both of those styles. As far as traditional or unschooled I think we are somewhere in between. Sorry! I know that probably doesn't help much. 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

First things first...

Are you on a budget?

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh...You live in nc! I do to.

You can pull him out by early next week if you like. 

You submit your application

You receive an email in an hour telling you what to do next

You print off a cover sheet from that email

You fax that cover sheet and diploma (transcript or diploma), (ged) or (college transcripts showing you have a degree)

They send you an email proving you are a homeschool

You print off that email and take it to the school (keep extra copies for yourself) 

You give to the school and tell them you are withdrawing your child. They CANNOT STOP YOU AND THEY CANNOT TELL YOU NO. THE ONLY PAPER THEY NEED IS THAT EMAIL. DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT. 

And ta-da you are a homeschooler.

They also send you a discount card that you can print off the Monday after you are legit.

Your name will be added to the registry the Monday after as well. 

Next what you should know about naming. 

Pick something that sounds professional

If you pick a name that is already chosen in your county they will add something to the name to denote that yours is second. You don't want that. So check the names in your county on the registry here..

http://www.ncdnpe.org/registration/hhh303a.aspx

There are only a few rules.

1. Keep an attendance sheet. You can download from the state website

2. Keep up to date immunization records

3. One yearly standardized test. You pay for the test ($50). You give the test to your child.. You send the test back. They send you the scores. You keep the scores for your records and you report the scores to no one. Pass or fail doesn't matter. You can order test from here http://www.pesdirect.com/Products/CAT5.html

You may have an audit, but those are rare and painless.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and you don't need to spend 500 or buy boxed curriculum. I buy all my stuff from thrift stores and we go to the library. You can piece it together how you want....and you can teach any grade level you want. 

Deciding between religious and non religious

Religious curriculum has religion in it. Biblical lessons and creationism.

Non religious has no religion in it and teaches evolution. 

There's more to it but those are the bare bones basic differences.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thank you so much for your help! That's awesome. I really appreciate it. I'm probably going to try and keep him in until I have something together for him to do. It doesn't have to be what we will do the rest of the year. I just don't want him sitting here bored. Lol. I have to dig out my associates. Would that work?

thanks again!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

You fax that cover sheet and diploma (transcript or diploma), (ged) or (college transcripts showing you have a degree)

You print off that email and take it to the school (keep extra copies for yourself) 

You give to the school and tell them you are withdrawing your child. They CANNOT STOP YOU AND THEY CANNOT TELL YOU NO. THE ONLY PAPER THEY NEED IS THAT EMAIL. DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT. 

They also send you a discount card that you can print off the Monday after you are legit.

If you pick a name that is already chosen in your county they will add something to the name to denote that yours is second. You don't want that. So check the names in your county on the registry here..

3. One yearly standardized test. You pay for the test ($50). You give the test to your child.. You send the test back. They send you the scores. You keep the scores for your records and you report the scores to no one. Pass or fail doesn't matter. You can order test from here http://www.pesdirect.com/Products/CAT5.html

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I used my ba and associates transcripts. 

I have been told that the diploma itself will work.

Only things you have to teach is la + math. Of course you should teach more. The state wants you to teach science, history and everything else but there is no official requirement. 

HOWEVER, it's is bit different for high school. 

But if you need to pull him out now all you need is math and la. 

Oh forgot to add you need to teach for 9 calender months (a typical public school schedule is fine) Doesn't matter how many hours per day you teach. 

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Thank you so much for your help! That's awesome. I really appreciate it. I'm probably going to try and keep him in until I have something together for him to do. It doesn't have to be what we will do the rest of the year. I just don't want him sitting here bored. Lol. I have to dig out my associates. Would that work?

thanks again!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Codysmom2106
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I'll have to call and get my associate transcripts. Those are more recent than my high school ones. Lol 

Thank you so much for helping! This has been so great. I feel better knowing that I don't have to keep him in there longer than I want to. 

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I used my ba and associates transcripts. 

I have been told that the diploma itself will work.

Only things you have to teach is la + math. Of course you should teach more. The state wants you to teach science, history and everything else but there is no official requirement. 

HOWEVER, it's is bit different for high school. 

But if you need to pull him out now all you need is math and la. 

Oh forgot to add you need to teach for 9 calender months (a typical public school schedule is fine) Doesn't matter how many hours per day you teach. 

Quoting Codysmom2106:

thanks again!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

a boxed curriculum might be a great way to start to get yourseflf up and running with everyting you'll need and without knocking yourself out researching individual pieces. You could buy something and probably have it delivered to your door overnight if you pay the shipping and you want to start immediately.

It's just the first year, so if you don't like something, alter it to make it work for now and research what you'd rather do differently next year. You will learn as much homeschooling as your son will. If you are between traditional and unschool, you'll probably be great at following your nose and seeing what works and what doesn't when starting with the traditional materials. If you go in with the attitude that you are not afraid to deviate from the "box" will probably work out fine especially since he's young. It's not like you are starting with a high schooler who's always been in public school and you're going to have to sit down and try to teach him physics next week!

I am always reading the homeschool forums and curricula review sites. If I see someone mention something, i look it up. If it seems interesting I bookmark it or print it out or write it down. If you keep that up, you'll surely end up with a list of stuff you think looks interesting that is far longer than what you can possibly cover in a year! 

I"m in a state with a lot of requirements so I bought a lot of used textbooks to submit as my materials, mostly because I was afraid I'd get denied if they didn't like what I listed. I'm realizing the hands-on activities I find on line and real books from the library are far more engaging and worthwhile for us than the pages of make-work that came in the workbooks I got. The nice thing about researching as I've done, is I alreayd pretty much decided what I'll use next year (yup, prety sure I want to continue!!) and it's not even October!

My son is not diagnosed with anything, although the school would surely have me believe he is adhd. I have researched it - and a lot of other learning disabilities and "disorders" - to death. I've formulated pretty strong opinions on this whole disordered kid trend, and figured out what I am confident will work for me and my son. I am also confident the school would never, ever, ever have put in the research I've done and ever been the least bit effective in implementing a learning environment that works for my son. I've started my own occupational therapy plan (we do like an OT session daily at home with some weights, body weight exercises, exercise bands, games, etc) based on research I've read on exercise and adhd-like behaviors. We do fine motor skills practice and I'm intent on teaching him beautiful cursive because I've read interesting studies on the proper development of gross motor skills, leading to proper fine motor skills, both of which lead to increased stamina for attentive tasks like sitting and reading and writing. I've only been at this for one month and I love it and think my son is thriving.

long story short - you will do a thousand times more for your son at home than the school will ever do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)