Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's the end of September: How was your first month of schooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ladies who have been at it for a while longer, how's it rolling along?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Ah, that would be hard. What age is the child?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I took on a full time tutoring student and I'm simply not used to teaching children who aren't my own, lol. Coupled with Autumn's school and homework schedule (since she's in brick and mortar this year), it's just... different :(

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

She's 9. A lovely little girl, really. She's Jewish, I'm Catholic; she's going to teach me some Hebrew blessings, I'm going to teach her the rosary, lol.

Quoting mem82:

Ah, that would be hard. What age is the child?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I took on a full time tutoring student and I'm simply not used to teaching children who aren't my own, lol. Coupled with Autumn's school and homework schedule (since she's in brick and mortar this year), it's just... different :(

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:23 PM

We have had our ups and downs.  With DD, there have been more bad days thans good days and I think she takes a lot away from DS because I have to give her so much, but she needs a lot more than DS so I think sometimes it's ok.  It's really frustrating though.  I think he could advance so much if I could give him more time and attention to help pursue those things he's good at, but most of my teaching time is spent discussing (or arguing) with DD about her school work.  Since I have to work and am out of the house from around 2-7, I can't really spend 4 hours with her and another 4 hours with him.  It's been hard to determine what is a fair split of my time and attention.  I'll figure it out eventually though.  I may need to invest in a curriculum that can teach DS more without my help, I'm just not sure what that would look like.

Overall, I am very glad we are doing this.  It's just taking a lot of time and energy figuring it all out, splitting ALL of my time between the two of them, and work, and still making time for DH...I know I will get there, I just need to keep my head up and know I am doing this for the right reasons and that it will work out the way it needs to.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Exciting and hectic. We have a very tight but fun schedule. I have a lot of great things being planned and in the works. I took on a project that is going to take a lot of work. More than I imagined but it is going to be so cool when I am done. I am still getting my materials I need. I am getting ready to teach at our co-op and it is very exciting. I am doing a creative math class.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
We started in August when ps opened. In that time my son's stutter that developed in K went away. Yay! It was really bad and made it so hard to understand him. In August he seemed so far behind and I was working on K skills. He has some SNs because he has a severe language delay. In the last couple of weeks he's blossomed and he's doing first grade work. He wants to learn cursive so we just started that. He was in a musical at church and was just too stinking cute and totally stole the show. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM
We are only 2 weeks in and week one was light because the kids had a show for the FBI mid-week. But so far so good with our new curriculum, Heartt of Dakota. They are learning a lot, having fun, and its low prep on me :-) Our ice skating schedule is tough....free skate Monday and Thursday, lessons on Tuesday, Skills Clinic on Friday, skating with friends on Saturday. DD has horseback riding on Tuesdays, too. So its a good thing lessons are getting done by Noon.....WHEN we get up early enough, lol.
RCHOUDH
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:32 AM

It's been going pretty well thanks for asking! Since I'm using a curriculum that I designed myself, I'm especially enjoying that our schedule is more flexible and stress-free this year. In previous years while homeschooling, I had used certain boxed curricula, and I hated all the stress it put me under (not to mention the deadlines they imposed upon you in order to complete their assignments). So yeah, homeschooling's been so far so good this month!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I am so glad this year is turning out to be a lot less stressful for you!

Quoting RCHOUDH:

It's been going pretty well thanks for asking! Since I'm using a curriculum that I designed myself, I'm especially enjoying that our schedule is more flexible and stress-free this year. In previous years while homeschooling, I had used certain boxed curricula, and I hated all the stress it put me under (not to mention the deadlines they imposed upon you in order to complete their assignments). So yeah, homeschooling's been so far so good this month!

KLove_Mom
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Amazing...

We are so proud of how much our twins are learning. Our private school uses an advanced curriculum, and they are already doing little reader books, addition, and Latin vocabulary.

They love their teacher and friends in class.

Only problem has been that they won't eat their lunches. They will seriously only eat a few pieces of fruit, because they are too busy socializing I guess. Then they finish their lunches at 2:30 when they get home.
We've tried several different things to help, but they just don't want to eat at that point. And in pre-K last year they would eat their whole lunch, same as I've tried packing now.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

So far it is going really well.  We start our 7th week on Monday.  I can't believe how well we are both doing at this!  LOL!  He is flying through English right now.  He will probably be done with VIE by January and if he continues at the pace he is at, he will have books 4-8 in ETC done by the end of the year.  Not sure what we are going to do about all of this yet.  We are having so much fun with this as well.  I am so glad I decided to homeschool him, I just hope I will get to continue for a long time! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN