Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's the end of September: How was your first month of schooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ladies who have been at it for a while longer, how's it rolling along?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Replies (31-35):
chlippr77
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We've just finished our 2nd 6 week term, and are taking this week "off" (no core subjects, but we're having cooking lessons, and praticing sewing, and catching up on history and science lessons).  We've got 6 more weeks then 6 weeks off for Thanksgiving and Christmas, then start the 2nd semester.  I'm loving this schedule, something about only having 6 weeks then a week off, makes it seem like a breeze.  Plus knowing I've scheduled those weeks "off," I don't stress if we get behind in something, or if we need to take a "mental health" day here and there, we got time to make up the days.  We'll still be done with our school year before their cousins in the PS.  Has greatly lowered my stress level this year.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Welcome!

Quoting tonyanamelia:

I am new to this site but I have been homeschooling for 5 years. Before that, I taught in a middleschool. I really enjoy homeschooling my children. But with 3 kids (6, 3, and a 1 years old), I feel like we'll have to do the slow approach this year. Basically homeschooling all days except for weekends, including most of the summer, taking breaks whenever needed. It's working good so far though, so we aren't behind yet. ;) 

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM
We're having a wonderful time. This is my younger daughter's eighth week and there's been a huge change in her view of math and school in general. She really has the hang of things now and enjoys learning more than she ever did in ps.

My older daughter is on her fourth week. Her stress level has dropped tremendously and she's so much happier.

We're covering a lot of ground in our math, reading, writing, social studies, and science each week. We have a great time during art, music, PE, and health. I want to add some just fun activities too and am finally getting a good grasp on teaching two at the same time so we can do that.

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Well within this first month we have had a lot of tweaking, ommiting, and adding of curriculum. This month though should be a lot better! The first month for us is always the "learning phase" LOL. Kind of trial and error to see what is working with us.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM
A bust.

My surgery has set us back more than I anticipated. We did okay our first couple of weeks, started aug 22 intending on 4 days a week. But since sep 11 (my surgery date) we've only done 3 days worth of school, spread over 4 school days since one took us two days to get through.

So in 6 weeks we've done 12 days of school. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)