Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you guys ever have times that you just think you can't do it anymore?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Every day this year has been tough and not getting better.   I can't get them willing to even do the basics (like brushing their teeth and taking showers) without problems.     School is OK while I'm teaching, but asking them to do anything is pulling teeth, shortcuts, having to re-do until it's a worthy effort, etc..

I feel like I'm failing them, and today I cracked and said, "Fine, if you don't like the way Mom is teaching and don't want to obey, then you can spend the whole day at the table just copying a book."

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Sorry, hit enter...

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I used to, quite often. As they have gotten older and matured it has become easier.

I have always given my kids options on curriculum and even if they go back to PS or stay HS.

If they don't like what is happenng here, I will send them to PS. The boys....lol are terrified of going back. My oldest wanted to go to public high school. I got him into one of the better high schools with a top rated  Robotics and Engineering program. He lasted 4 days and decided it was a HUGE waste of his time. There was so much dead time in class and when he finished early and started reading a novel he got yelled at. The teacher took his work, he got 100% and the teacher never apologised for yelling at him.

Some days I want to ship DD out, then I remind myself that the boys went throuh this phase too and it is age and puberty and a bit of her being a snot. She will mature and grow out of it :)

Days like today, make me want to keep at it!!! I have two boys doing different art projects (drawing) at the table one is doing manga and the other a cute li-il prarie dog :) DD is sitting on the couch working on grammar :) It is SUPER peaceful at the moment!

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this

There are days.  I asked my SO today while we were sitting in my office trying to fix the printer if he thought anyone would miss the kids I could make them disappear.  It was a rough morning.  BTW I would never do that....I was just venting my frustration with them.  I love them to pieces but this week has been trying my patience more than most.  I think we need an actual schedule to follow before January and they may make things so much better for us since they will now what they need to do.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It's hard when they are all younger and fighting you. It gets easier as they get older.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Sure but it isn't just the homeschooling that I feel that way about! I have days when I feel as though I want to just walk away from all of it because it can be so frustrating & stressful to have a whole family depend on you for everything. Those are the days I stay in my PJ's, I do the bare minimum & hope that the next day will be better & they usually are!

Mommynay2
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Honestly there have been times in which I think I can't do it, and I wish Destinay was in school. Especially, when we have homeschool burn out. When that happens, I try to change it up a little bit, and do some unit studies, or take a small break, like for a couple of days or so. What really changes my mind, is when I go outside to wait for my son to get off the bus, and I see kids, who would be in the same school as Destinay, swearing, bullying, playing in the middle of the street, and just have poor behavior, that gives me the encouragement that I need to keep me refreshed at home.

Mommynay2
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I can totally relate to that, I'm a single Mother, and there are times, I want to change my name. I love my kids but they can be demanding.

Quoting usmom3:

Sure but it isn't just the homeschooling that I feel that way about! I have days when I feel as though I want to just walk away from all of it because it can be so frustrating & stressful to have a whole family depend on you for everything. Those are the days I stay in my PJ's, I do the bare minimum & hope that the next day will be better & they usually are!

unsuspected
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
That's better than me. I sent them to their rooms. Everything this morning was a struggle. Not even really the school stuff. The obedience and doing what they KNOW they need to do or not do. I don't know if it's just Friday and being ready for the weekend. This is our first ever day like this.

I'll call them down in a bit so we can try again. But now I'm going to mad that their rooms are trashed (I know they are. ) I don't know what the deal is today. My patience is fried.

Its not even really the lessons. It's the way they treat each other, and the way I have to repeat simple instructions and things they KNOW they are responsible for. Every morning they need to make their beds and get dressed before school. WHY do they wait for me to go up here and tell them to do it? And then pick up their toys too, they wake up making messes!
FootballFan12
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM

This is our first year, so I have had several of those days already.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Are they understanding the material? Are you maybe presenting it in a way that isn't conducive to their learning styles (and then maybe they feel overwhelmed with their stemming independent assignments)?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)