Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you guys ever have times that you just think you can't do it anymore?

Posted by   + Show Post

Every day this year has been tough and not getting better.   I can't get them willing to even do the basics (like brushing their teeth and taking showers) without problems.     School is OK while I'm teaching, but asking them to do anything is pulling teeth, shortcuts, having to re-do until it's a worthy effort, etc..

I feel like I'm failing them, and today I cracked and said, "Fine, if you don't like the way Mom is teaching and don't want to obey, then you can spend the whole day at the table just copying a book."

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-18):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Yes, it was not their school work.   It was their one small chore (10 minutes max?), personal hygiene and getting ready for school work and lying and sneaking stuff this AM.   They just need a good sound beating.

Instead... I made them copy a chapter from a book, work together to scrub the walls and then the floors.   After a discussion on their obedience, we skipped everything and peeled and cut up 6 lbs of apples and are making applesauce.

Yeah...  I feel like I really taught them a lesson.... *le sigh*

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Are they understanding the material? Are you maybe presenting it in a way that isn't conducive to their learning styles (and then maybe they feel overwhelmed with their stemming independent assignments)?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FootballFan12:

This is our first year, so I have had several of those days already.

Me too! There have been more hard days than good days! I'm hoping it evens out a bit more soon!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Not anymore. Once a found their optimal learning style. We are not unschoolers but really close to it. It has doing wonders for our school days. You couldn't pay me to stop homeschooling. I love it so much. I plan on staying involved with local homeschoolers for many years to come. I run a local co-op and love doing it. I am sorry you are having a hard time. Maybe it is time to have a family meeting. Homeschooling needs to be something the whole family is committed to. I know many homeschoolers feel overwhelmed at times. You are not alone.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM

We have had several family meetings.  I agree they need to all be involved.  My kids get a lot of input on what curriculum we use and what areas we study each year.

However teaching four of them.  Myself with ADHD and other issues plus my kids have some of their own problems...  I'm just really struggling and need the curriculum to keep us going on any semblance of a path.    We DO tweak what we learn to fit our style and add in a lot of field trips, outside activities, etc... to keep our out-of-focus minds in focus.  

It's amazing how smart they are, but also how distractable our entire family is.  My biggest problems aren't in the teachin gor the books, but in the day to day living.   It's almost like I need some one else to come raise them while I teach them... terrible huh?

Quoting jen2150:

Not anymore. Once a found their optimal learning style. We are not unschoolers but really close to it. It has doing wonders for our school days. You couldn't pay me to stop homeschooling. I love it so much. I plan on staying involved with local homeschoolers for many years to come. I run a local co-op and love doing it. I am sorry you are having a hard time. Maybe it is time to have a family meeting. Homeschooling needs to be something the whole family is committed to. I know many homeschoolers feel overwhelmed at times. You are not alone.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Not at all. Terrible would never be concerned about their kids. They would just let them do whatever they want. How old are you kids? Sometimes kids forget how much moms are doing for them. Make sure you remind them and take some time to yourself even just a few minutes. Hope things improve for you soon. Hang in there. :-)
Quoting KrissyKC:

We have had several family meetings.  I agree they need to all be involved.  My kids get a lot of input on what curriculum we use and what areas we study each year.

However teaching four of them.  Myself with ADHD and other issues plus my kids have some of their own problems...  I'm just really struggling and need the curriculum to keep us going on any semblance of a path.    We DO tweak what we learn to fit our style and add in a lot of field trips, outside activities, etc... to keep our out-of-focus minds in focus.  

It's amazing how smart they are, but also how distractable our entire family is.  My biggest problems aren't in the teachin gor the books, but in the day to day living.   It's almost like I need some one else to come raise them while I teach them... terrible huh?

Quoting jen2150:

lovelylady83
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I went through this, am going through this... etc... I pulled my my dd out of school in second to homeschool her... we did great before daddy came home from iraq and we had to move... that first year was all about finding better curriculum for us... and we did! then it was about routine... we still don't have a regular routine.... i was very sick while pregnant last year... this year we have a 9 month old...  BUT here we are 2 years later we started and she/we are much better than she/we were....

We were very close to public school this year because it wouldn't have even been for a whole school year... and then I gave my self a  reality check... YES it would have been wonderful to just let the baby crawl during the day with out the older one pissing her off and making her scream cause she is trying to be mommy... It would be lovely to drop her off and go for a run and take a shower and do my college work without interuption or issues... BUT then I remembered why I decided to homeschool...so she would have a seamless education with no gaps ... so other kids wouldn't be the primary influence in her life.... so that we could be together and bond... 

For us I decided movies, art and reading are the way to go when she gets difficult..

PeaceChild
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Sure but it isn't just the homeschooling that I feel that way about! I have days when I feel as though I want to just walk away from all of it because it can be so frustrating & stressful to have a whole family depend on you for everything. Those are the days I stay in my PJ's, I do the bare minimum & hope that the next day will be better & they usually are!

Rapunzelletdown
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
You all are suffering. Put the poor kids in school already.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)