Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common Core in my neck of the woods

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

The CCSS have been in the news in my area several times this week. The local university has had open meetings about it 3 times this week alone.  I just saw this today:

www.newstalkkzrg.com/pages/17400104.php

Maybe I pay too much attention to what's going on in the PS system, but I still just can't believe most of what I see and hear.  I understand what he is saying about not being responsible for the changes, but as much as it sounds like he's trying to soothe it over, his tone doesn't come accross as pleased about the situation. To top it off telling parents to take it directly to the state seems to me to be a lot like passing the buck. If the districts stand up for the parents, wouldn't it be a more effective argument??

OK I'm done venting. :D

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM

its been all over the news here in portland oregon, some of the ps parents dont like it! sounds like its workin up to a big problem here

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

i follow this common core stuff too closely too and make myself sick with worry about the dumbing down of America.

I've sort of concluded I don't have much issue with the standards. Truth be told, I sat down at one point and meant to read them in their entirety since I think to speak on them would require doing so... and I couldn't be bothered to get through them! Needless to say, I taught public school and never read the complete Massachusetts State Frameworks which I was supposed to be teaching -- and I seriously doubt many teachers have read them all word for word!!

I think the growing outcry against common cores is a little misdirected. I think what parents are reacting to is the teach-to-test approach. I think there is an assumption that the standards are bad, but I really believe what is bad is the high stakes tests which mean all kids are taught is test-prep, memorizing facts, formulas for a very narrow written answer to open response questions.... I think if parents realized that if the tests just went away, kids would have time to get hands-on experiences in science classes, read real literature in english, have choice to pick their own topics to research in social studies, as well as time in the schedule again for the arts, music, trades, technology, etc., and no need for endless, rote homework assignments - then the real outcry would be against the testing and the meaningless data that comes from it.

His key quote is: "We have local control over how we teach it and how we present it in the curriculum, and in how we prepare our students for tests that come along with it." So yeah, all it means is that they are going to continue to just teach to the test. The bottom line is passing test scores at the expense of actual learning.

I think there should be NO standardized testing at all. I'd settle for allowing one, general test a year that is shorter than the individual tests given now, and only if it meant the score didn't matter and didn't mean a child had to be retained or had to get a certain grade to graduate, if their other requirements and grades were satisfactory. I'm also opposed to the concept that scores meant less funding for schools or districts, or for repercussions to teachers in schools with low scores. 

AND, I'm totally opposed to the national database of student records. Completely, totally opposed to anything to do with inBloom.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I saw the story about the poor dad in Maryland that was arrested for asking questions and force was used against him.  I have a friend in another state that was told by the principal that they (PTA members) weren't ALLOWED to attend a town hall meeting about CCSS.  She was pissed when that email came out.  He can't stop parent's for wanting to be informed about what their children will be learning.  She is going to said meeting and not as a PTA member, but as a concerned citizen and parent.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw that video too! It was heart breaking that the other parents didn't stand up for him & demand information & real answers to the questions!

Quoting coala:

I saw the story about the poor dad in Maryland that was arrested for asking questions and force was used against him.  I have a friend in another state that was told by the principal that they (PTA members) weren't ALLOWED to attend a town hall meeting about CCSS.  She was pissed when that email came out.  He can't stop parent's for wanting to be informed about what their children will be learning.  She is going to said meeting and not as a PTA member, but as a concerned citizen and parent.

MommaMeemee
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I know! I saw it on here when someone posted it, and it hit my facebook feed a couple days later from my local news. I did see an update just a couple days ago, saying that they were investigating the charges. Hopefully, they drop it completely.

Quoting usmom3:

I saw that video too! It was heart breaking that the other parents didn't stand up for him & demand information & real answers to the questions!

Quoting coala:

CrimsonRadiance
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

They just started Common Core here in Tupelo MS.. and I've already heard so many parents complaining about it. English and math especially. I guess they use "estimations" for math.. so 3x2 wouldn't work out to 6.  One of the moms in our taekwondo was almost in tears, because her straight A student, was not anymore. And she had no idea how to help him with his homework! :( 

Presley77
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Im in Portland too! I'm happy to hear Pdx parents aren't happy. We will homeschool but I still worry about the ps kids. After all- those are the majority of the people my child will deal with in real life.

Quoting oredeb:

its been all over the news here in portland oregon, some of the ps parents dont like it! sounds like its workin up to a big problem here

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I actually had someone tell me to back off with ccss info. They told me that I homeschool so it doesn't affect me. I told them, it does and I won't back down. I will continue to fight this until it goes away!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I folow as much as I can myself. CC needs to be worried about.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

yeah, I'm amazed none of the parents I know with PS kids even know what common core is or say they've never heard of it - !!!??? It's all just go along with the flow and assume that the school is full of professionals that know what's best.

I had to cringe too the other day, I got an email from older ds's middle school about a parent forum (during school hours of course, when working parents or a homeschooler like me can't attend) saying they'd give parents "valuable information on how to parent a young adolescent." REALLY? Because parents have no idea and this group of strangers (most of the teachers are oblivious to Common Core as well!) know and will instruct us?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)