Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Suggestions for books similar to Dick and Jane?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daugher is 5 (just turned 5 last month) and her favorite books to read right now are her Dick and Jane books.  She is now getting more confident in reading and she loves reading those.  In fact I can hear her reading in her room right now and she is supposed to be asleep....

Does anyone have any suggestions for books similar reading style/level as Dick and Jane?  I would like to order some or look at Powells for some new ones that would encourage her to read more on her own.  I remember having similar style books when I was a kid but I have no idea what they were called lol.  

Any ideas?? She has BOB books too (the 1st set and 3rd set), which are good too but she prefers Dick and Jane. I'm excited that she is learning to love reading.  I always loved reading and always hoped she would take after me that way. 

Anywayany sugestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Hm, let me think. There are a lot of early readers at the library. Maybe take her to browse a few?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM
I have a book called the complete collection of Dick and Jane. I used it some with my son.
Sparta.
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I was gonna suggest Bob books, but nevermind! :)

I need ideas too!

The lowestevel readers at our library have compound words and are not where DD is at the moment.
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Yeah we are not quite at the "early reader" book level yet. Though she can read an entire dick and Jane book which contains words like "mother, father, outside, vampire, everyday" etc. I really like the repetitiveness of the story. It reinforces any words she may be just learning or having trouble with.
For example it may say:
"Look" said Dick.
"See it go.
See it go up."
Jane said "Oh look!"
"See it go.
See it go up."
"Up up" said Sally.
"Go up, up, up"

Olivia's favorite dick and jane book is the "Dick and Jane and Vampires" book. It's a silly one.

Quoting Sparta.:

I was gonna suggest Bob books, but nevermind! :)

I need ideas too!

The lowestevel readers at our library have compound words and are not where DD is at the moment.
MotoStar
by Echo on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Dr Seuss is always good.

Spot books.

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Books by Arnold Lobel are good for this reading level.  Titles include the Frog and Toad series.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

How about "Biscuit" or "Puppy Mudge".  My LO loved these when she grew beyond something similar to bob books and Dick and Jane.  We ordered a bunch of Dick and Jane and she read about all 15 in 3 days.  I knew it was time to move on.  LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Elephant & Piggy books are repetitive & funny.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Step into reading ready to read check your library. One has pictures in place id some words which is fun. Lakeshore learning has some as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)